Not to read on certain days?

Nemia

If it feels wrong to read cards for whatever reasons - don't do it.

I have no such scruples, for me, every day is holy and special. Every day of the week reflects the name of a celestial body and/or God/Goddess, and I really like that.

But I respect the religious feelings of others. To each his own..

Barleywine

If it feels wrong to read cards for whatever reasons - don't do it.

I have no such scruples, for me, every day is holy and special. Every day of the week reflects the name of a celestial body and/or God/Goddess, and I really like that.

But I respect the religious feelings of others. To each his own..

I agree completely. At my age, every day I can still draw a breath is "holy and special." Putting that breath to the service of human understanding through tarot is how I honor the privilege.

Disa

I agree with the Rat's Petunia. Read when the mood strikes you.

AND I have that book mentioned earlier- it's hysterical to me :)

RiverRunsDeep

Of course, everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, superstitions, etc.

For me, tarot is linked to the holy and divine, so why wouldn't I use it on the Sabbath? I celebrate the tarot whenever and however I wish to do so. Life is too short to do otherwise.

SunChariot

So yesterday a friend asked me if it was so to read the tarot the next day (today) to his wife, because it was Sunday and her birthday, so he wanted to be if it was OK to do so.
The question surprised me because I couldn't think of any reason why it would not be fine to read did any time, any day.
Then he said (and was quite showed I didn't know) there are some days where it is wrong to read it, like the day of Saint John... And some hours, for example, past 9 pm.

Truth is I am zero superstitious and I find that to be a superstitious. But wanted to ask if any of you have heard or such "impediments" or unwritten rules and what you think about that.

For me, I know some shamans recommend not meditating after certain time in the night, some others don't give a rat's petunia and use the time that is more comfortable for the person. I assume something similar happens with the tarot.

I know there are teachers that have too many beliefs around it, like closing and opening portals and cleansing when reading.
I am more about keeping it simple. But would love to know your superstitions about your readings, if you have any

Enviado desde mi HUAWEI G7-L03 mediante Tapatalk

I don't personally believe there are any set times or dates that you should not read. I agree that is a Tarot superstition. There are lots of superstitions about Tarot that some people believe.

The only reason I would not read on a specific day is if my intuition told me it was not the right time. I follow my intuition above all else in Tarot. But I don't imagine it would tell me not to EVER read on a specific date or holiday. Just maybe not read right now.

Babs

bonebeach

I'm with the majority here in the every day is holy, read whenever you like camp, for sure.

The only one I've heard repeated, in real life, is to not read past midnight or sundown or whatever. My life would be far more difficult if I believed that, given how 1 AM is my favorite reading time. :)

nisaba

The only one I've heard repeated, in real life, is to not read past midnight or sundown or whatever. My life would be far more difficult if I believed that, given how 1 AM is my favorite reading time. :)

I suppose it's because the majority of humans are tired by that time, and a tired human is not a perceptive human. If you want better readings, read when you're not exhausted. :)

Teheuti

I read when I feel like it or am being paid to do so.

However, there are some classic rules (made to be broken, in my experience).

A Frenchman who had learned to read from some elderly Italian women taught me their rules for the days of the week depending on the classic rulers of the days. I remember the rulerships via the Spanish names, but you can also use the Germanic names (Thursday=Thor's day, etc.). Note: he also used the Major and Minor Arcana separately depending on if the question was mundane or spiritual.

Sunday/Domingo (the Lord's day) - Major Arcana only, and only for the highest and most spiritual of intents.

Monday/Lunes (Moon's day) - Good for all intuitive work, caution regarding too much emotion or fantasy.

Tuesday/Martes (Mars' day) - Not an ideal day as belligerence reigns.

Wednesday/Miércoles (Mercury's day) - Excellent for divination of all kinds, especially business and commerce.

Thursday/Jueves (Jupiter/Jove's day) - Very good, especially for determining health, success and fortune.

Friday/Viernes (Venus' day) - Best for questions regarding love and affection.

Saturday/Sábado (Saturn's day) - Don't read on Saturn's day as you will be prone to fear and depression.

Members of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn would pay attention not only to the day of the week but also the ruler of the hour when determining when to read for serious matters. [Note: there are several methods for determining these rulerships.]