Reading at a psychic fair

Carla

Hey, I've been invited to work a psychic fair for Samhain/October! Please tell me about your experiences with this sort of thing. I'd love advice on how I can prepare. It will be my first, of course. :)

celticnoodle

oooh lucky you!!! :thumbsup:

I never worked a psychic fair---yet, but I'll also be watching for this, as I hope one day to be doing the same. be sure to let us know in October how it goes! :D

ann823

That's fantastic Carla!! You'll have to tell us how it goes!

Manda

Drink a lot of water, do whatever you do that helps you be calm. Bring your business cards to hand out. Have some short and sweet spreads in your arsenal. During your down time pull cards, look interested in them.

epvitale

I agree with Manda. Drink lots of water. Also don't be afraid of trying to engage passerby's in a little chat. You would be surprised how many times a hello turns into a reading. no hard selling just hello and see where the conversation goes.

Above all, enjoy yourself and have fun!!!

Gary

linnie

Even though I don't read often, I have read on 4 or 5 occasions at psychic fairs. in the last so many years.

Take bits and pieces with you that let you feel more at home in the often alien or sterile Fair surroundings. For example, I always used to take two easily transportable comfy chairs, draped with fabric so they looked like lounge chairs, and a small round table draped with fabric, too. I took a bell to clear the space, because you cannot have candles or smudge in many places (insurance!), and a table lamp to cover poor lighting, plus a few ornaments. All of this made a boxed in stall-like area look like a cosy lounge room, allowing for a much more intimate space. One young woman asked if she could just come in and sit... she was literally JUST out from her boyfriend's funeral, across the road, and her friends wanted to attend the Fair. She just needed a cosy space! I gave her a free, nurturing mandala and no reading... I could see she wasn't ready for one... but that space gave her comfort and also encouraged many others to just come in and most had readings. A woman at the next table was the Fair organizer's lovely wife. She was very confident and coul call people in, physically call them.. I am quieter by nature, so did no calling, but my set up welcomed people, and I did pretty well as a newbie :)

Also, stick to your guns... If the cards tell you a story, even if someone is saying "No, that's not it", if you fell clear within yourself that you are reading correctly,stick to your story. I had one such person refute everything I was saying... as it turned out, he was testing me, to be sure, because the cards were telling him sonething he wanted to hear, but he really needed to know, as the outcome involved relocating from one corner of the globe to another (I didn't knwo THAT, and I just knew what the carsd were saying). He was my most difficult client, and one of my most cherished experienecs, because I did stick to my story...

Be amenable, wherever you can... I had a couple of people who were rushing... couldn't do a full reading and just wanted a quick sweep... I gave them a speedy 3 card reading, just the basics, which they enjoyed...

Also, it helps if you take a notepad (with time slots printed on it) and pens, so that people can jot down an appointment, even as your are working with someone else, and come back for their designated time slot... People at Fairs are generally there because they want something, and they want it now, and you'll get more custom if people can reserve a place and fill in their waiting time looking around the Fair rather than queing to attract your attention...

Enjoy it... being stressed blocks your capacity to read... stay calm, breathe deeply, know that you are there offering a service, and you cstomers are there to share your insights.

Yes... as others have mentioned, drink LOTS of water... Lots....

Have fun! :)

Mellaenn

Good advice has been given here. I would also stress having plenty of water on hand, and if it's going to be a long day, make sure you have little bits of food that are easy and discrete to munch. The food will ground you and you WILL climb up into your 5th and 6th chakra after several readings so you will need it.

One thing I learned to do after working several psychic fairs with one client after another is to clear my cards in between clients. Otherwise, by the 7th or 8th client your readings may be somewhat muddled. A quick and easy way to do this is to knock once or twice on the deck, or you can use smudge spray.

Enjoy!!

Glitterbird

Besides all the great advice from everyone, if you are setting up a tent outdoors, make sure you have anchors for both Concrete and earth. My first fair I was sure it was going to be set up on grass and was not prepared for concrete and wind. I had to have 2 friends hold the tent most of the day to keep it from blowing away.
Good luck and have fun!!