Feb. 2015 Oracles Monthly Study

DragonFae

For February we will work with the Mexican Loteria Cards or you might choose another deck that is not a traditional oracle and share with us your experiences with it. If you are interested in the loteria cards there are plenty of places online to view the images and possible even print them.

card images the traditional version

Here's a crazy set where some one combined the Mexican Loteria with a Star Wars theme....

Space Loteria

Here's the article about the Star Wars set.

I don't see an Index for the Mexican Loteria cards but here are some links to previous posts....

Loteria Pair

Mexican Loteria Card Riddles

Hmmm....I thought I had some earlier posts from when we discussed the cards in the past but for some reason I can't find them! :(

I have developed some VERY basic meanings for the cards which I can share with you. My goal this year is to expand upon the meanings. I used both the card image, my knowledge of that "item" and the riddle that goes with the card to work toward a meaning. Basically there are no right or wrong meanings as this is a work in process.

I'd love to hear if you will be exploring these cards with us or if you have another deck in mind for our February study!

Mi-Shell

Hi DragonFae!
I will be continuing my work with the Medicine Cards and I think, that several others will also choose a different oracle deck for our monthly studies, so since you named this thread
"Mexican Loteria Cards"
we can not post in here.
I will continue to use the January Oracle thread with the Medicine Cards, so future readers can search and find the posts there.
the other thought would be to just name the thread:
"Monthly Oracle study group thread - February"
Then we could all post here.....

(The moderators can change thread titles....)

DragonFae

Excellent idea! I have changed the title to simply represent the month of February as people may be choosing other decks/avenues for study.

Yes please keep the Medicine Card info in the other thread as it will be an awesome resource when people are searching.

:cool3::cool3::cool3::cool3::cool3::cool3::cool3:

DragonFae

I'll post a bit about my personal interest in and experience with the loteria cards.

Several years back I developed several close friendships with some young people from Mexico and as such became interested in Mexican customs and history. During this time we played the traditional loteria game several times. I was interested in the simple images that seemed to (along with the riddle) represent many aspects of life. Since I, at the time was also continuing to study oracles, I decided to examine the cards as a possible oracle deck. Non traditional of course as they were always a bingo type game and not an oracle.

Over on Twitter I meet another person of Mexican heritage that has been studying the history of the loteria cards and we conversed (somewhat difficultly because of the language difference) about the loteria cards, riddles etc. At that time I discovered that there are different riddles for the cards based on different regions in Mexico and Central America.

As I worked with the cards I jotted down notes and thoughts about what each might represent and as I tried them in different readings I found them to be remarkably accurate. However whether this is the nature of the cards themselves or simply my connection to them, I'm not sure.

I know others on here have talked about the cards and doing a google search finds that others have expressed interest in them as an oracle. I'm not sure how extensively they have been worked with.

My personal belief is that oracle cards are not in and of themselves, powerful or intuitive...it is what the reader brings to the reading that is. The cards themselves are paper but if the images capture and evoke many elements of human life/nature than they can be used much as a "published" oracle deck can be used. For me the Loteria cards do, for others they will not...much in the same way that some people "click with" and love a certain deck where others do not.

There are many "themed" regular card decks that some people like to use as oracles. There are game cards that people use in the same manner. For example a Fairy Tale themed deck of playing cards offers many possibilities for readings (as long as one knows the fairy tales) For example if you drew a Little Red Riding hood card......it might speak of danger or a "wolf" in hiding. It might suggest caution or not getting too far off your path etc.

So this month pick something that resonates with you.......and if nothing else pick a "published" oracle deck that's a little outside your "norm" and give it a whirl....there are no rights and wrongs....its simply an opportunity to explore something a little different and to think outside the box.

GoldenWolf

I got interested in Loteria cards through mixed media art about ten years ago. I saw a lot of people using the card images in larger collage or assemblage pieces. For awhile, I belonged to an artist trading card (ATC) swap site and ran Loteria card swaps so I have several, unique Loteria cards that other ATC artists made in those swaps. Unfortunately, not a whole deck though. I've wanted to use the Loteria for divination, but didn't have the time to work out a system. Seeing Dragonfae's blog about them and getting readings from her has been helpful to me in that regard.

Once I realized that there are different types of Loteria decks, I collected about three or four different ones so I am hoping to work with maybe one each week.

Dragonfae, thanks for posting the link to the Star Wars set. Have to put that on my wish list. I hope you also post the different riddles at some point. One of the women in my swaps posted a set in the forum there and those are the ones I've been using. I didn't occur to me that there might be different ones for different regions although it certainly makes sense.

DragonFae

El Catrin

I'm not clear on the sharing of links to personal blogs here so I hope this is ok.

I've written a brief post about one of the cards El Catrin and how you might read it in combination with other cards.

El Catrin

Onyx

I has occured to me that we are not already 25% done with Feburary. That is a bit of a shock as I am still just feeling that I am in the very initial stages of understanding the Story Cubes.

In working with them each day they seem to hint at meanings and uses but they are stubborn to give me concrete avenues of investigation. I get words, phrases, sentences and messages but they are still seem more figment of my imagination than answers from the universe.

But the time in this month is flying by and so I know that I will be reaching the end of the month with work still to do. Then I reflect on the longer month of January and know that I STILL feel the same way with the Sacred Path cards I worked with there.

So now I am curious what the monthly learning curve will be for each oracle I work with during the month. While I own a copy of each that I plan to work with I will be new to using them. Will there be a predicitable First week/Second week/Third week/Final week pattern to emerge?

Something to watch for I guess.

Onyx.

DragonFae

I'm going to be having a bit of fun this last week of February using my new Day of the Dead playing cards in combination with the Mexican Loteria cards...either can be used to read alone but it's always fun to try some combinations!

If you want to see a combined reading...there's one up over at The Quest.

Onyx

Four days to go and we are done with the month.

This has been a very fast month and I have to say that after working with Sacred Path cards in January I was pretty sure that this month had a lot to live up to. This has been a very important month in my practice.

The month started so simply with the thought of using something that is not explicitly created to be an oracle as one. This has had me questioning what it means to use an oracle and what makes an oracle work.

Using the Story Cubes has been a blast and has started me down a path of personal discovery that is exciting. There are two types of questions that I am left with as we bring this month to a close. The first set are questions of a smaller sort. It has to do with "Cubes" as I refer to them in my journal. I am getting a clear sense of their meanings and form. The second set of questions are bigger. They press me to understand the whole nature of divination, readings, what works and what is magic behind what we are doing.

Good thing that questions and answers are the heart of what we do, huh?

So still committed to the one oracle a month and looking forward to the Oracle of Vision that we will be starting soon.

Onyx.