Are you still reading with your playing cards?

beachcomb

i started with tarot and then got interested in playing cards when i moved home for the summer from university. i found that they are straight forward but i missed the pictures. i couldn't change decks with my mood but yet the simplicity of it kept me focused which was nice. i tend to get a little wordy when i read tarot. if i could find a deck of playing cards that spoke to me visually i would definally put them in the rotation.

however i'm very interested in what Le Fanu wrote and like the idea about how the game turns out is the answer.

Le Fanu

The best Patience books I know are the Penguin Book of Patience Games, and anything by David Parfit (I think that is his name: If you can´t find it on google or amazon or anything, let me know and I shall check the titles of some of the best books I have.)

There is a late 19th Century English book on patience by Lady Adelaide Cadogen, who listed a lot of the oldest games, and it´s an excellent source book, and you can find this readily available on the internet and just print off the games which you like the look of. A lot of these are divination-derivitive.

If you want specific titles, send me a pm and I can send you titles...

Ive just seen, in an antiquarian bookshop near me, an old (1930s) French reproduction of an even older (17th Century)deck. And only 15 euros! Think I might go back and get it... Would be perfect for divination.

Bernice

Are you still reading with your playing cards?

Oh Yes. They're more versatile than tarot cards.

Bee :)

stella01904

I'm up to my neck and obsessed with the Noblet right now, but I still make time for other oracles. Especially playing cards. They tell me gossip. :laugh:

Bernice

Ah Braveheart! The citizens of Aztlan cannot escape from your eagle eye! I'm waiting for a 52 card deck with batons, cups, swords & coins suit emblems - I suppose it could be described as a 'marseille pip deck'. :D

Bee

stella01904

I was very, very bad, Bee.

I got the Provost. :laugh:

Now Grizabella has to make me a special case for it. And I can't buy any decks for a lonnnnnnnnng time.

But it's awesome. Hand-stenciled 1793 repro.

Bernice

I got the Provost. :)
Naughty girl!!! You can't afford it! But you've got it. BUMP

Congratulations, you've been lusting after it for weeks now. :) Will you be doing any (ATF) readings with it? he he.... just asking....

Bee

stella01904

Maaaaaybe I could be persuaded.....

If you do some with that deck you're waiting for.
Is it Italian?

Bernice

It's german. Biedermeierspiel. I'll have a go if you will. l'll let you know when it arrives. Rather fancied the German Renassiance as well - but the emblems are printers tools/implements.

Bee

stella01904

Huh? I have a Biedermeier, but it's like Ziguener Wahrsagekarten...
Enlighten my mind!