Talking about the GAME of Tarot

northsea

One problem, at least for me, is that the only books dedicated to the game of tarot are spendy, one is around a hundred the other, really good "Game of Tarot", a discount off of three hundred. Youch. Why can't someone publish a book for tarot games at a reasonable price? As far as banter, maybe someone from France will reply. I guess it's still played there. The witticisms of Roswell the alien is probably not what you're looking for. :D

Teheuti

I think that interest in the game of tarot would grow immensely in the English-speaking world if there was a place to play and/or download a computer version of the game in English. Hey, you game enthusiasts - can't you work with one of the French websites to come up with an English version?

I used to play a lot on a site that I believe was called letarot that offered an English-language version, but it appears to be gone.

Rosanne

Finally some trivia about the game.......

One of the most famous Irishwomen of the time was born Grainne O Maille, but became famous as Grace O'Malley, the Irish pirate queen. "Tough as her men, she cut her hair short, wore scruffy clothes, handled a cutlass and pistols with ease, and played cards like a fiend," -- which apparently didn't doom the Irish outlaw to a lonely life. In fact, this twice-married mother, who managed both her father's and husbands' fleets, often carried out raids with her own toddlers on board ship!

Born in 1530, she went on a ship with her father as a young girl to Spain and accquired some trick taking card games with which she used to play against the sailors. I imagine her Catholic to boot, but have no proof of that- but she was educated and could speak in various languages- Latin been one that helped her conversations with Elizabeth the 1st. Irish nobility- probably spoke French as well.

~Rosanne

Teheuti

There's an English language Macintosh & PC shareware game at http://www.letarot.net . I don't know why it doesn't get mentioned by all the game-players. I had it years ago and used to play it often but thought it no longer existed because none of the tarot game sites mentioned it and because I mixed up the address with Jean-Claude Flournoy's which is the same except for a .com .

Mabuse

northsea said:
One problem, at least for me, is that the only books dedicated to the game of tarot are spendy, one is around a hundred the other, really good "Game of Tarot", a discount off of three hundred. Youch. Why can't someone publish a book for tarot games at a reasonable price? As far as banter, maybe someone from France will reply. I guess it's still played there. The witticisms of Roswell the alien is probably not what you're looking for. :D

Someone has published an inexpensive book on Tarot games.
http://www.tarocchino.com/

philebus

Mabuse said:
Someone has published an inexpensive book on Tarot games.
http://www.tarocchino.com/

I'll just add that the download zip file contains the full text in both pdf and Word format, along with the cover art in case you can get it printed cheaper elsewhere. Also, I'm revising the text now - there are a couple of small errors and a lack of clarity here and there that need to be put right. At the moment I've been a little distracted by some other interests but I it is underway now.

Debra

Oh that's you! I wondered whose site this is. It's really interesting. Is that your voice, too?