Why are playing cards not so popular?

hunter

I bought two decks of cards today, one regular face and one jumbo face, but with the same backs. I read here the idea of combining two decks to make a tarot deck.

I guess I'll make the small face cards the pips and the pages. And make the jumbo face cards the courts and the majors. The joker can be the fool.

I'm not sure which numbered cards to assign to each major. There are many divisions of the fools journey, but I haven't found one yet, that feels like the titles of the divisions line up with a suit.

Hmmm...reading the Vampyres book, the majors are split up into elemental, planetary and zodiac :-0 That would make the aces the elementals, the extra courts the zodiac. What about the planetary?

Depending on how I assign the majors, matching cards would mean...?

Zelmira

"As for the whole relationship between the calendar and the playing card decks, I find it to be one of the most interesting things about PCs! It's actually a very direct relationship:

4 suits = four seasons
13 cards in each suit = 13 weeks in each season
52 cards = 52 weeks in a lunar year"

Marina:
It is very interesting that you brought this up. I just finished reading a novel that is called The Mistery of the Solitaire that works with the idea of the cards being assigned to days, month, and seasons of the year. This is not a tarot, but a regular deck of playing cards and the Joker. The Joker represents day 365 and it is called Joker's Day. Blessings,
Zelmira

cardlady22

hunter said:
Hmmm...reading the Vampyres book, the majors are split up into elemental, planetary and zodiac :-0 That would make the aces the elementals, the extra courts the zodiac. What about the planetary?

Depending on how I assign the majors, matching cards would mean...?
Can you refresh my memory on the listed planets & the assignment used? I don't want to be using something different than your reference book's. And you would be using the 2-10, correct?

Mods, should we transfer over to this thread if we go further?
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=123330

hunter

Moving over to other thread! :)

MareSaturni

IheartTarot said:

The Piquet deck has 32 cards. It is used for divination too, but then you only use the 7-10 pips, plus the face cards. I have no idea how the 36-card is really called, I believe that it has many names depending on the games you play with it. I know that it kind of inspired what we call the Petit Jeu Lenormand deck.

celticnoodle said:
oh thank you for letting me know what the method is called. It is just one more method, i'll have to investigate, but may pay off anyway. this makes perfect sense too, as this woman is on the border of VT/Canada and it is very much a french influence in this area.

There's a French-style 36-card deck, but after researching a bit more I found out it's more used in Switzerland and in Russia than in France itself. So it is possible that your card reader uses indeed a 32-card Piquet deck, as IheartTarot pointed. :)

Wikipedia has a lot of interesting info on the different sorts of playing card decks.

celticnoodle said:
yes, cardlady, i also have that book "It's all in the cards" and I think that may be the book I also gave to my niece as mentioned above. It was one of my first cartomancy books--if not THE first one. I have to get it back out and re-read it myself.

I have not read this book! Looking for it NOW! :D
I cannot resist a book about playing cards!

hunter

I'm back to the Mystic Test Book offshoots, mostly Camp and Jeffers, today. I ordered a pink and gold Bicycle deck last night.

I always give up on PCS when I'm tired and not doing well. There just is not the support, in the forms of books and online discussion, that there is for tarot. A new tarot set is instant gratification. But all that instant fluff, doesn't promise what I feel PCs do if I could just settle on some meanings that will work long term, and start building on them.

I'm so tired today though :-(

IheartTarot

Marina said:
I have not read this book! Looking for it NOW! :D
I cannot resist a book about playing cards!

It is called "It's in the Cards" by Marthy Jones:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

You can see the calendar chart on p6 that cardlady mentioned via the Look Inside feature.

"It's All in the Cards" is a different book by Chita St Lawrence (I have it):

http://www.amazon.com/Its-All-Cards...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289246176&sr=1-1

MareSaturni

IheartTarot said:
It is called "It's in the Cards" by Marthy Jones:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

You can see the calendar chart on p6 that cardlady mentioned via the Look Inside feature.

IheartTarot, thank you so much for both links! I really like the look of Marthy's calendar, much better than the "playing card calendar" used by most authors. I'll see if I can find a used copy of this book!

Curiouser and curiouser now!

IheartTarot said:
"It's All in the Cards" is a different book by Chita St Lawrence (I have it):

http://www.amazon.com/Its-All-Cards...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289246176&sr=1-1

If I ever come across this, I may get it too. I'm interested in all books about playing cards, even if just to find out they are crappy, lol! :p But this one has good reviews...

hunter

I'm always so disappointed in cartomancy books :-(

DesertDream

"Yep, theres a trip, over water maybe, there's a dude with money and your mom wears army boots." :laugh:
LMAO this is why im still deciding if i should full on consider reading playing cards!