Empress's looks

nuttyprofessor

Her function is to produce little emperors and be beautiful beside the Emperor.

That's the clue of the question that I wrote about. She is not beautiful, she does not give the impression of a venus, she has no figure for arousing passions. And the painter doesn't seem to me incapable of doing this.

CharlotteK

I have only come to be interested in TdM decks VERY recently after learning on RWS decks. I don't fully understand all the differences yet, but The Empress has always been one of my favourite cards. When I look at the Camoin, Dodal and Noblet decks, I see a pretty tired looking woman, who could easily be pregnant. She doesn't look stern, rather more uncomfortable perched on her throne, all trussed up in her official finery. I'm sure she would probably much prefer to be seeing to the kids or feeding the goats :)

Attachments

• Camoin.jpg
    Camoin.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 502
  • Dodal.jpg
    Dodal.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 504
  • emperatrise-web.jpg
    emperatrise-web.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 520

Izzydunne

The Empress is not the Mother. This definition seems to come from the Waite/Smith branch of Tarot. Look at the Empress in the TDM. She doesn't look like a Mother unless you are a Prince or Princess. No, the Empress is a strong woman in a position of power or authority. Depending on the question asked, she has the power to influence or affect the situation and the outcome.

CharlotteK

The Empress is not the Mother. This definition seems to come from the Waite/Smith branch of Tarot. Look at the Empress in the TDM. She doesn't look like a Mother unless you are a Prince or Princess. No, the Empress is a strong woman in a position of power or authority. Depending on the question asked, she has the power to influence or affect the situation and the outcome.
I'm new to TdM so easy for me to misunderstand I think. But why not both mother and a powerful woman in a position of authority? They are not mutually exclusive positions. I note in the description of the Empress in the CBD Marseille gives 'motherhood' as one of the meanings. Perhaps not the 'earth mother' model of fecundity and fertility in the RWS, but to me she looks like she could be balancing both official responsibility with the role.of being a mother and running a home.
f6b7403c316bc9b966504df4408dab43.jpg

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk