2 of Cups for singles

elena_jaymz

Hi guys, what could mean the 2 of Cups as advice in a general love reading for a single? (For "general" I mean asking the tarots insights about how things are going at the moment.) I'd interpret the card as "look for someone really suitable for you", but is it just so? Does this card imply there's really that special someone out there, but the querent is "blind"? I'm confused, what do you think? Thanks.

decan

Code:
I'd interpret the card as "look for someone really suitable for you"

It's a personal interpretation, but as a general advice I wouldn't say "to look for" but instead, to express an attractive presence.
"to look for" involves some plans, and with this card I don't have a sense of something that is really planned, things are probably more emotional and spontaneous.
This could speak to be seductive for others (or someone in particular).

elena_jaymz

Code:
I'd interpret the card as "look for someone really suitable for you"

It's a personal interpretation, but as a general advice I wouldn't say "to look for" but instead, to express an attractive presence.
"to look for" involves some plans, and with this card I don't have a sense of something that is really planned, things are probably more emotional and spontaneous.
This could speak to be seductive for others (or someone in particular).
Hi decan, thank you. Your interpretation fits more: a need to be more spontaneous and emotional, I agree.

Barleywine

With any of the Twos - and the 2 of Cups is no exception - the challenge is that they are linear and have a narrow field of operation; there can be an insular and claustrophobic feeling to them. A polarity is implied, like an "on/off" switch - something either "is" or "isn't" and it can be difficult to find equilibrium if there is no compensating "back-flow" or circulation of energy to measure your progress against. If not actively reciprocated and brought into balance through feedback, the 2 of Cups can imply emotional "tunnel vision" with no apparent light at the end. It reminds me of constantly pouring water into a broken pipe: you're never going to fill it up unless you step to the side and look at both ends to find the breach and repair it. That's the role of the 3 of Cups, which affords a broader view of the emotional landscape. You might try Paul Fenton-Smith's idea of drawing two more cards to place on either side of the 2 of Cups to see if they shed light on any imbalance that may exist in the situation.

As an aside, I recently had the 2 of Cups as the "near future" card for a client who was in the same situation. But it was reversed, so I told her that - while it looked like something was brewing for her - it was going to take its sweet time reaching her and she would probably have to meet it more than half-way. The preceding card was the 8 of Wands reversed, which reinforced the idea of delayed arrival, and contributed to her sense of anxiety. Together they created an ambivalent outlook for the immediate future. Her redemption lay in the 3 of Wands as the outcome card, which I suggested meant a positive, forward-looking state of "patient anticipation."

elena_jaymz

With any of the Twos - and the 2 of Cups is no exception - the challenge is that they are linear and have a narrow field of operation; there can be an insular and claustrophobic feeling to them. A polarity is implied, like an "on/off" switch - something either "is" or "isn't" and it can be difficult to find equilibrium if there is no compensating "back-flow" or circulation of energy to measure your progress against. If not actively reciprocated and brought into balance through feedback, the 2 of Cups can imply emotional "tunnel vision" with no apparent light at the end. It reminds me of constantly pouring water into a broken pipe: you're never going to fill it up unless you step to the side and look at both ends to find the breach and repair it. That's the role of the 3 of Cups, which affords a broader view of the emotional landscape. You might try Paul Fenton-Smith's idea of drawing two more cards to place on either side of the 2 of Cups to see if they shed light on any imbalance that may exist in the situation.

As an aside, I recently had the 2 of Cups as the "near future" card for a client who was in the same situation. But it was reversed, so I told her that - while it looked like something was brewing for her - it was going to take its sweet time reaching her and she would probably have to meet it more than half-way. The preceding card was the 8 of Wands reversed, which reinforced the idea of delayed arrival, and contributed to her sense of anxiety. Together they created an ambivalent outlook for the immediate future. Her redemption lay in the 3 of Wands as the outcome card, which I suggested meant a positive, forward-looking state of "patient anticipation."
Hi Barleywine, thanks for your reply. I see what you mean here and actually I agree, that is I feel an imbalance indeed, so your "broken pipe" example does fit. I think then that I'll try out what you suggested here, thanks again.

Prilica

Hi guys, what could mean the 2 of Cups as advice in a general love reading for a single? (For "general" I mean asking the tarots insights about how things are going at the moment.) I'd interpret the card as "look for someone really suitable for you", but is it just so? Does this card imply there's really that special someone out there, but the querent is "blind"? I'm confused, what do you think? Thanks.
Spending time with others... With people that make you feel happy, balanced. Perhaps is a good way to open up to a future love interest... Perhaps one of your friends end up being your next couple... just a possibility

almalibrarian01

love

To me this card definitely indicates a 'special someone', and I think too that this card indicates a spiritual and deep union with somebody. Something really rare, a real meeting of the minds.

The Lovers card to me represents a typical romantic/sexual encounter, but there is the added element of making a choice present in the Lovers card that makes it much more subjective and therefore susceptible to human errors in judgment.

The 2 of Cups to me is a card that signifies an attraction to a special someone that is so deep and consuming that it can't be explained by rational means, thus making it kind of 'blessed' or heaven-sent in a way.

I have drawn this loads of times for a guy I love and I honestly think he is an angel sent to me, he has been so good to me.

2 of Cups means finding such a depth and level of connection with someone that you couldn't imagine being with anyone else. A special and unique bond or union that can't be replicated or fade over time.

Alma

elena_jaymz

Spending time with others... With people that make you feel happy, balanced. Perhaps is a good way to open up to a future love interest... Perhaps one of your friends end up being your next couple... just a possibility

Hi Prilica, thanks for your reply. I agree, this card gives the idea of feeling in touch with other people and then implies the need of opening up.

elena_jaymz

Hi Alma, thank you so much :)
To me this card definitely indicates a 'special someone', and I think too that this card indicates a spiritual and deep union with somebody. Something really rare, a real meeting of the minds.
Yes, this card talks about love, something rare indeed.

The Lovers card to me represents a typical romantic/sexual encounter, but there is the added element of making a choice present in the Lovers card that makes it much more subjective and therefore susceptible to human errors in judgment.

The 2 of Cups to me is a card that signifies an attraction to a special someone that is so deep and consuming that it can't be explained by rational means, thus making it kind of 'blessed' or heaven-sent in a way.

I have drawn this loads of times for a guy I love and I honestly think he is an angel sent to me, he has been so good to me.
I agree on these takes, you cannot explain what's going on in a 2 Cups situation, it's just love, it's not rational, it just happens.

2 of Cups means finding such a depth and level of connection with someone that you couldn't imagine being with anyone else. A special and unique bond or union that can't be replicated or fade over time.

Alma
I totally agree Alma, I see the 2 Cups exactly in the same way, it's a great advice.

Adriana

In a simple way it could tell you to go out there and meet new people. The 2 of cups says about meeting people you connect with and feel a pull to, but also it doesn't give guarantee that this person will be your life partner. So as advice it's to be open emotionally, meet people but be aware of where you are. A meeting like that can lead to romance but maybe just friendship, so don't be "set" on how a new acquaintance will evolve. Some people go on dates and dream of 2,5 kids and the dog and house in the beginning phases.
Not saying you do that, just a thought. Maybe it also says you will meet someone though someone you know.