Extra Magus?

September Pixie

I don't personally use all 3 of them in my readings but I select the one I feel works best for the person I am reading for when I shuffle, usually its the blue one with the dove at the top :)

Parzival

Ani, I like your open mlndedness as to the three magi.You mention they might be three aspects of the Magician --- this is key to me as to including them or the one intended.So,what three aspects do these three magi picture? How do they contrast and complement and complete the whole picture?

Fulgour

Beth on left ~ Mercury on right

Ani said:
Does anybody use the three magus cards?
Of the 3 Magus cards, only ONE matches the majority of the Trumps.
Looking at the Majors, you will see:

Letter Left and Symbol Right
at the bottom of the cards.

The two exceptions are XVIII and XXI, symbol left and letter right.
And so here we are today, the possessors of these images, and
as such we are free to utilize and interpret them however we please.

Vincent

Ani said:
Yeah I read that in DuQuettes book, but it is only his opinion that the extra cards should not be used.

Yes, it is only his opinion, but it is an informed opinion.

The biggest clue is in the Book of Thoth, where Crowley illustrates exactly which version of the Magus should be used and how many there are supposed to be in the deck. But again, it is only Crowley's opinion.

So it doesn't mean that you aren't free to add, (or subtract), as many cards as you feel is necessary, after all Crowley is long dead, so why should his ghost hang forever over the deck he created?

Some people might find that adding the photo-card of Pixie Smith into the Waite deck 'works for them', or that removing cards like the Tower, Death, the Devil and just about the entire suit of Swords, results in a much nicer pack.

Vincent

Fulgour

liberated arts

Frank Hall said:
Ani, I like your open mindedness as to the three magi.
As an instructor of Humanities, I'm sure you've come to value the benefits
of expressing truth as an organic cycle of continuity, rather than the stifling
limited approach of, if so and so said so then it is so and so and so and so.

Many thanks, Frank!

Penelope

spooky reading

check out pg. 11 of The Crowley Tarot by Hajo Banzhaf

It seems there was a man...

darwinia

Ani said:
I realize it is breaking the Tarot standard by using 3 magician cards

Oh heavens, could one be so bold as to break a standard?

the more I think about it the more ideas I have for this.

It's always good to think for yourself. Rules and little boxes in the mind seem limiting when you fancy trying something new. I hardly think Old Crowl would care, he was a writer and delighted in invention.

WizardOfNines

Three Magus

I just finished my first read through of Jana Riley's "The Tarot Book" published in 1992 by Samuel Weiser, Inc.

On page 22 he discusses two missing Majors which would connect the eleventh Sephira called Daath to the Tree of Life.

I'm really too new at this to understand the significance of all this but I found it interesting.

He has some interesting ideas about the deck and how to use it in readings.

It's an easy book for conceptualizing the deck as a whole and as a Swords (The intellect) person I found it fit in welll with my philosophy.

Does anybody know anything about this guy and his ideas?

Wizard Of Nines