5 decks to use for a year

Beanfeasa

1). Pagan Otherworlds as its my new go to deck
2). Arcana tarot playing cards I love playing cards for fast reads
3). My old trusty RWS, I could put not take it
4). Le Tarot Noir my favourite TdM
5). Soprafino purely for aesthetic reasons, it's so beautiful I couldn't go a year without holding it.

Rose Lalonde

Tabula Mundi
Roots of Asia
Sephiroth
Rosetta
Thoth

tarotesoterica

1. Navigators of the Mystic Sea Tarot - Ive always loved the little people and strange world depicted on these cards
2. Cosmic Tarot - This deck is so dreamy. I love the court cards.
3. Radiant Rider Waite - You have to have one traditional RWS deck. Ive always loved the colors used on this deck.
4. The Hermetic Tarot - I could study this deck for hours. I think there is so much symbolism in it.
5. Morgan Greer in a tin - The size of this deck is so adorable! I love the colors used. It is also so easy to read.

MissChiff

Alchemical Tarot....
Alice Tarot....
The Wild Unknown.....
The Daniloff....
Jean Noblet....
And lots of postcards home checking on the rest....

Ok...the Thoth
Daniloff
Tarot of the Holy Light
Pagan Otherworlds
Trionfi Della Luna
This is my new list

MistyCheckers

Housewives Tarot: for every day use
Tarot for Cats: I need a cat deck and this is my favorite
Victoria Regina: great companion book to read and study
Chinese Tarot: beautiful cards & a unique system that I would like to study
Wild Unknown: uncluttered design is very appealing and different than my other choices

Richard

ISIS TdM
Millennium TdM
Tarot von A.E.Waite
Golden Dawn Temple Tarot
Thoth

JadePixie

In no order

- Tabula Mundi
- Sidhe
- Anna K
- Old Path
- Hidden Realms

Carojulie

Hello,

This past year I have seen many Youtube videos in relation with this question (Kelly Bear original video, and many responses), and also I have read many posts here in this thread. It has been very interesting all along (and watching these videos has been often terribly enabling.... and several decks that I have seen in these videos, are now in my collection - I wonder how that happened...)

And I have given the question a lot of thought. I was even tempted to do a video myself, but I do not have a channel, not any experience in filming myself, and I just lazed out of the idea.

Anyway. I have given the question A LOT of thought, and I have reached the conclusion that I cannot answer it. Honestly, if I was leaving for a year, I would take more that 5 tarot decks. No matter how I turn the question, I always end up with more that 5 decks as a result.

First, I would need a deck for each of the four elements. I have several to choose from for each element, but let's take my favorite of each pile. So that would be :

- Druidcraft for earth
- Mermaid tarot by Dame Darcy for water
- Fountain for air
- Sacred Bridges tarot for fire

Then, I would need one deck for each season :

- The Fountain for winter (I had to push this one in this slot - it's not the best choice for a winter deck, but it has the advantage of already being in several of my other lists, so it saves space... but in reality, I find it more cool than cold, and I am sure I could find a better candidate for the winter season. But, anyway)
- The Hezicos tarot for spring
- The Japaridze tarot for summer
- The Bohemian Gothic tarot for fall (Samhain)

Then the mood decks. I would need a comfort deck for more difficult times, a dark deck for deep exploring, a fun deck for ligh readings with friends, and a deck to "kick me in the butt" for when I need to be shaken out of lethargy :

- Clover tarot for comfort
- Bohemian Gothic for dark side
- Sakki Sakki tarot for fun (but Dame Darcy Mermaid tarot can work also for that purpose)
- Gorgon's tarot for shaking me up (but maybe Sacred Bridges can do that too)

Then there are the decks that I like so much that I just would not want to be without for a year :

- Bohemian Gothic tarot
- Clover tarot
- Albano Waite
- Wild Unknown
- Touchstone
- Druidcraft
- Motherpeace
- Sakki Sakki tarot
- Gorgon's tarot

And the ones that I find so beautiful, so "eye candy", that I would take them even if it were just for the sake of looking at the cards from time to time, or displaying the cards on my chimney mantel, just so that I can admire them :

- Touchstone
- Bohemian Gothic
- Wild Unknown
- Alice tarot
- Japaridze
- Fountain
- Distant Past tarot

Fortunately, several of these decks fit into several categories, and can fill up several purposes. But I still end up with many decks....
Let's try to narrow it down :

- Druidcraft
- Mermaid (Dame Darcy)
- Fountain
- Sacred Bridges
- Hezicos
- Japaridze
- Bohemian Gothic
- Clover tarot
- Gorgon's tarot
- Albano Waite
- Wild Unknown
- Touchstone
- Motherpeace
- Sakki Sakki
- Alice tarot
- Distant Past tarot.

That is 16 decks. A lot !
Ok, let's try to narrow it down further.
I can let go of the Sakki Sakki for a year (with heartache, but let's be strong)
I can set aside the Motherpeace (because it is such a complete and deep deck, in itself. If I let it aside for a year, I then might need to work with it exclusively for another year to make up for the loss !)
I can go without a RWS deck for a year. So, Albano Waite, back in the box.

That 's 13 decks.

I could bargain further with myself (for example : I cannot take both Alice and Distant Past, and I throw a coin in the air to decide which one will come on the trip with me..) and that way, I might be able to come down to ten decks.... but that would be very hard.
Ok, let's try it :
Alice comes instead of Distant Past
Japaride comes and Sacred Bridges goes (Japaridze can fill the "fire" slot, though Sacred Bridges was even better... but, alas, Sacred Bridges goes.)

I cannot find another one to sacrifice. It is down to 11.

But, 11 is a good number isn't it ?
So, my finished list would be that :

- Druidcraft
- Mermaid (Dame Darcy)
- Fountain
- Hezicos
- Japaridze
- Bohemian Gothic
- Clover tarot
- Gorgon's tarot
- Wild Unknown
- Touchstone
- Alice tarot

If you think 11 is a clumsy number to arrive at, I can always add back the Sacred Bridges deck, and make it 12 decks, wich is admittedly a good, strong number to use when it comes to selecting a number of items and pack them (12 eggs in an egg box, 12 months in the year.... 12 decks in my suitcase)

I am sorry Kelly Bear, I TRIED, I swear ! But 5 is just too difficult to achieve ! (as many tarot people know well)
If I can make it better, I will come back. For now, it is 11, or 12 tarot decks for a year, for me (not mentionning the oracle decks and lenormand decks I will have to bring along. Plus one or two playing card decks, because I will also have to entertain my friends with games, wont I ?)

Little_Bear

5 decks for a year

Hello,

This past year I have seen many Youtube videos in relation with this question (Kelly Bear original video, and many responses), and also I have read many posts here in this thread. It has been very interesting all along (and watching these videos has been often terribly enabling.... and several decks that I have seen in these videos, are now in my collection - I wonder how that happened...)

And I have given the question a lot of thought. I was even tempted to do a video myself, but I do not have a channel, not any experience in filming myself, and I just lazed out of the idea.

Anyway. I have given the question A LOT of thought, and I have reached the conclusion that I cannot answer it. Honestly, if I was leaving for a year, I would take more that 5 tarot decks. No matter how I turn the question, I always end up with more that 5 decks as a result.

First, I would need a deck for each of the four elements. I have several to choose from for each element, but let's take my favorite of each pile. So that would be :

- Druidcraft for earth
- Mermaid tarot by Dame Darcy for water
- Fountain for air
- Sacred Bridges tarot for fire

Then, I would need one deck for each season :

- The Fountain for winter (I had to push this one in this slot - it's not the best choice for a winter deck, but it has the advantage of already being in several of my other lists, so it saves space... but in reality, I find it more cool than cold, and I am sure I could find a better candidate for the winter season. But, anyway)
- The Hezicos tarot for spring
- The Japaridze tarot for summer
- The Bohemian Gothic tarot for fall (Samhain)

Then the mood decks. I would need a comfort deck for more difficult times, a dark deck for deep exploring, a fun deck for ligh readings with friends, and a deck to "kick me in the butt" for when I need to be shaken out of lethargy :

- Clover tarot for comfort
- Bohemian Gothic for dark side
- Sakki Sakki tarot for fun (but Dame Darcy Mermaid tarot can work also for that purpose)
- Gorgon's tarot for shaking me up (but maybe Sacred Bridges can do that too)

Then there are the decks that I like so much that I just would not want to be without for a year :

- Bohemian Gothic tarot
- Clover tarot
- Albano Waite
- Wild Unknown
- Touchstone
- Druidcraft
- Motherpeace
- Sakki Sakki tarot
- Gorgon's tarot

And the ones that I find so beautiful, so "eye candy", that I would take them even if it were just for the sake of looking at the cards from time to time, or displaying the cards on my chimney mantel, just so that I can admire them :

- Touchstone
- Bohemian Gothic
- Wild Unknown
- Alice tarot
- Japaridze
- Fountain
- Distant Past tarot

Fortunately, several of these decks fit into several categories, and can fill up several purposes. But I still end up with many decks....
Let's try to narrow it down :

- Druidcraft
- Mermaid (Dame Darcy)
- Fountain
- Sacred Bridges
- Hezicos
- Japaridze
- Bohemian Gothic
- Clover tarot
- Gorgon's tarot
- Albano Waite
- Wild Unknown
- Touchstone
- Motherpeace
- Sakki Sakki
- Alice tarot
- Distant Past tarot.

That is 16 decks. A lot !
Ok, let's try to narrow it down further.
I can let go of the Sakki Sakki for a year (with heartache, but let's be strong)
I can set aside the Motherpeace (because it is such a complete and deep deck, in itself. If I let it aside for a year, I then might need to work with it exclusively for another year to make up for the loss !)
I can go without a RWS deck for a year. So, Albano Waite, back in the box.

That 's 13 decks.

I could bargain further with myself (for example : I cannot take both Alice and Distant Past, and I throw a coin in the air to decide which one will come on the trip with me..) and that way, I might be able to come down to ten decks.... but that would be very hard.
Ok, let's try it :
Alice comes instead of Distant Past
Japaride comes and Sacred Bridges goes (Japaridze can fill the "fire" slot, though Sacred Bridges was even better... but, alas, Sacred Bridges goes.)

I cannot find another one to sacrifice. It is down to 11.

But, 11 is a good number isn't it ?
So, my finished list would be that :

- Druidcraft
- Mermaid (Dame Darcy)
- Fountain
- Hezicos
- Japaridze
- Bohemian Gothic
- Clover tarot
- Gorgon's tarot
- Wild Unknown
- Touchstone
- Alice tarot

If you think 11 is a clumsy number to arrive at, I can always add back the Sacred Bridges deck, and make it 12 decks, wich is admittedly a good, strong number to use when it comes to selecting a number of items and pack them (12 eggs in an egg box, 12 months in the year.... 12 decks in my suitcase)

I am sorry Kelly Bear, I TRIED, I swear ! But 5 is just too difficult to achieve ! (as many tarot people know well)
If I can make it better, I will come back. For now, it is 11, or 12 tarot decks for a year, for me (not mentionning the oracle decks and lenormand decks I will have to bring along. Plus one or two playing card decks, because I will also have to entertain my friends with games, wont I ?)

It LIVES! :)

Goodness, you really did give this a lot of thought! I am impressed, I think for the amount og effort you've put into this you can have 10 decks instead. ;)
Thank you for answering my question.

Little_Bear

I'm glad someone brought this thread back! Kelly Bear is one of my favorite Tarot youtubers (if not my absolute favorite?) and this video gave me sooo much to think about, but I'm sadly too camera shy to do a VR.

My picks for a year away are:

1. Slow Holler. This is my "fire in the home and can only grab one" deck, full stop. Also, if I was going somewhere that wasn't the American South I'd need a deck that'd help ease that homesickness, y'know?
2. Fountian Tarot. It's one of many extremely honest decks I have, but out of all of them this one is the kindest and has the clearest voice. It would definitely be a great companion when away from home.
3. Idiosyncradeck. I love its bright visuals, its demeanor, and how well it reads. No way I couldn't take it with me!
4. Wild Unknown. For a long time this was my only deck to read with, and I feel so comforted while I use it. So it can fill both the workhorse and healing deck spots.
5. My actual answer for this is the Seeker's Lenormand, because I can't imagine life without a Lennie, but since this is the Tarot Deck fourm I'm going to say the Wooden Tarot since it gives such deep, rich readings.

My collection at this point is pretty filled out, so I don't think these would change any time soon... Except for the Numious. Something would definitely get knocked off for the Numious.

Awh! Thank you, that is so kind of you to say.
You've got a cracking list there. I really want the Slow Holler (it'll be stocked in the UK soon in the Little Red Tarot shop thankfully). I have been wavering on the Idiosyncradeck, I loved Kelly Fitzgerald's video on it but the shipping and customs charges to the UK are killer! :(