Thoth-like decks.... which ones do you like?

Satori

Isn't World Spirit infused with both Thoth and RWS symbols?
That was why I ordered it anyway...still waiting for it...

Cerulean

Small comments, just an opinion

Now that I've read more about what everyone contributed, I'm remembering more of my small opinions...

I had this odd odd feeling that the Haindl, Margaret Peterson, Ananda, Cosmic (Losche) and Tarot of the Spirit (a dear friend has this deck) seemed to celebrate and build from Jungian psychology--at least the concepts of archetypes--and had a structure that pointed to Thothlike roots. But I'm not being specific on what they share yet, perhaps there's just a fantasy style of art that is both attractive and amazingly fun.

Of the above, I kept the Haindl and Margaret Peterson to study. I use the Ananda every week.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
World Spirit and Light and Shadow do share a woodcut style and celebrate a storylike feeling in illustration. I chose the Light and Shadow for the black and white woodcuts and Brian Williams booklet.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I felt the artists shared a similar inclination that Julia Turk did when she did her Navigators of the Mystic Sea, but her bent was more inclined to Golden Dawn structures and influences. I am guessing but am not certain the Liber-T, Tarot of Stars Eternal is also in this 'style'. I have the Navigators and Tarot of Stars Eternal.
Via. I've never seen anything like that--in one copy, I covered some of the paintings with my own sticker picks, cut the borders off the cards, and have another copy with two borders cut when I thought I was missing two cards...
very interesting study deck for me.

I'm very interested to hear Aun and other's take on this deck as well!
Magickal. Have a set and am puzzled by it. It is listed periodically from vendors at abebooks.com and depending, forty to seventy-five dollars in original packaging with book, I believe. Once in awhile, someone will trade their copy...
I am interested in hearing all the opinions posted here!

Regards,

Cerulean Mari

Aun

Re: Small comments, just an opinion

Cerulean said:
I'm very interested to hear Aun and other's take on this deck as well!

I will definitely share my opinions on the Via as soon as I have studied and used it a little, Mari...

By the way i just checked the Margaret Peterson... It seems that the Liber-T went down to the second spot of my wishlist ...

Cerulean

Firemaiden posted the link to M.P. images

http://www.lapalma-galerie.de/arte/show.php3?lang=&basis=tarot&bild=1

I bought my English-language M.P. from Tarotgarden.com, I believe it is $45.00. I heard the German language one was not easy to find or out of print.

I don't know everyone's preferences, but U.S. Games is distributing the English language Via and Amazon.com is selling it for $26.00 or so in the U.S. When I first bought it last year in 2003, it was about 35.00 or so from the reliable distributor and it's about 36.00 when I see it at a bookstore.

Happy Thoth study and good luck! Thanks for the fun thread to explore great Thoth decks...

Regards,

Cerulean Mari

Emily

My favourite Thoth clone is the Rohrig, I liked this deck from just a few online scans and although I don't use it regularly its a firm favourite.

The Tarot of the Spirit is another sort of favourite, I didn't like this deck when I first received it, I remember stareing in mute horror as I realised that for the first time ever I'd bought a deck i didn't like lol - the next day it didn't look as bad and that fascination has stopped with me, except now I realise that I do quite like the images, although I did once post on here that they looked like the product of someones nightmares :) but this is a deck I wouldn't be able to part with, for some unknown reason lol, it reads pretty well though.

f. silvestris

I've used both Navigators of the Mystic SEA and Haindl, and ultimately prefer the Thoth to either. The majors in the Haindl are really beautiful, but his Alchemy/Art and Aeon cards seem rather insubstantial beside the Crowley/Harris images. The minors are as [un]informative as those in the Thoth, though I really love the english caption for 7 Swords - 'Uselessness'. My memory of the Navigators deck, which I no longer possess, was that it tried to combine Thoth-like majors with RWS minors.

Aun

f. silvestris said:
The minors are as [un]informative as those in the Thoth,
???

I happen to find the Thoth minors extremelly informative, and no other minor cards speak so deeply to me....

Just my opinion

f. silvestris

I'd agree with you, Aun, hence the brackets - but I know some would much rather have RWS type pictorial minors, though I personally feel they can limit the meaning too much.

Parzival

Thoth-like decks

Cerulean,regarding the Via Tarot, I can only remark that its minors and courts generally parallel the Thoth, and are beautifully done, despite the blood drips through the cup minors. The majors are extremely Kabbalah-based,with strange mixes of the sublime and the grotesque ( Wheel, Death ). It's enigmatic but fascinating.

Aun

Just Got the VIA

Hi All,

I just received the Via, and I am thrilled with the deck.

Its a large size deck, about the same as the large (green) Thoth.

It comes on a plastic box (just like the Osho Zen) and the book is large and very detailed.

The cards are outstanding, but that you all should know by now...

Highly recommended for all Thoth readers...

More details soon, I haven't gone through the book yet.