Just bought the Thoth: Please advise on deck version

IDN

Hi,

2 days ago I boutht the Thoth deck.

It is the AGMuller, standard size, dark blue box. 1 Magus card.

The ISBN is 3-905021-25-0

Can anyone please advise if I have (what is considered) one of the better versions? I think the colours are quite subtle and soft. But I have not seen any other versions "in the flesh" to compare.
I was hoping the colours would be a lot richer / more vibrabt- but I suppose they're easy on the eye.

I love the size of this deck, for shuffling. "May" consider the large format cards, if I really get into the Thoth. Would love to join this Study Group when I get a bit more confident with the Tarot in general.

Any comments / advice on the particular version I have bought would be appreciated. And yes, I have searched the forum, but cannot find reference to that specific ISBN. Apologies if I have missed it somewhere.

Regards,
Ian

Fulgour

"AGMuller" (Switzerland)
first printed by "Carta Mundi" for "USGS" (USA)
deck "Alister Crowley Thoth Tarot", 1978
Painted by Lady Frieda Harris
http://www.gambler.ru/sukhty/decks05/d02420/d02420.htm

and then there is Urania Verlag
http://www.uraniaverlag.ch/2004-2/thothtarot.html

ISBN 3-03819-051-9

For this New edition the original paintings were again digitalized
at the university of London (with great care). In the compression,
every matter was paid attention to, to show the original colours
and designs, in a true-to-life manner.

Aleister Crowley®
Original Crowley® maps
78 Tarotkarten
Soft inverting box
Format maps: Luxe 9,5 x 14 cm
Approx. euro: 25.-/chf 44.70
ISBN 3-03819-051-9
Distribution: September 2004

megeria

the best advice i can give you is to study. The book that accompanies the deck, written by Aleister Crowley himself, is the key to understanding it. i tried using hte deck without ht ebook; and while it is possible, you barely scratche the suface with th edeck alone. the book opens up an entire world of deep rooted symbolism. It will take effort, but it is a fascinating study. if you are not immediately drawn into the book then you may as well not use your thoth deck at all, because it is the most intricate deck i have come across. Even though i haven't seen many.

Etteilla

Book for the Thoth

One of the books that has been very helpful in learning the thoth is The Tarot Handbook by Angeles Arrien. It has breakdowns on all the cards Major, minor, courts with picture sizes 4" by 5.5". The visuals are not in color, but the images are still very clear. It's one I refer to often.
Etteilla

Pipistrelle

Ooh ooh I have it too!

IDN said:
It is the AGMuller, standard size, dark blue box. 1 Magus card.

The ISBN is 3-905021-25-0

Can anyone please advise if I have (what is considered) one of the better versions? I think the colours are quite subtle and soft. But I have not seen any other versions "in the flesh" to compare.
I was hoping the colours would be a lot richer / more vibrabt- but I suppose they're easy on the eye.
I have just unexpectedly become the proud owner of this deck (about two hours ago!), which is an early birthday present from my husband (I must have been looking miserable - lol).

I have exactly the same version as you IDN :)

I have looked at images of the Thoth on AT previously and thought it was a very beautiful and striking deck. It was definitely on my list to get one day (although hubby didn't know this, he must have been particularly psychic when he bought it) but I knew that there was a lot of symbolism and depth in it and thought I would wait a while until I had more experience...

The cards are currently all laid out in order on our kitchen worktop and I can't stop looking at them! The images are so beautiful and the colours so rich (although, like you IDN, when I first opened the deck I thought they looked a bit washed out, now I see that isn't the case at all - especially when you see them altogether like this). I especially like the swords suit and the disks court cards and so many of the majors - and the cups and wands and just everything!!

I feel I'm going to have a lot of fun with this deck and I'm quite excited about delving into all that symbolism etc but a little worried about getting overwhelmed...ah well...:)

Sorry about hijacking your thread IDN - I was just very excited (as you might have guessed!) You can have it back now :)

Kind regards,

Pip