Pick'n'mix tarot deck

earthair

If all tarot decks were a standard size, with identical backs, would you pick your favourite cards from a variety of decks to make your personal ideal deck?!
If you did, what cards would you pick, from which decks? Or would you go further and take entire suits from different decks?

ana luisa

Neat idea but no. I wouldn't. I could have this deck as a collector but wouldn't be able to read with it. Primarily because to me, decks have a vibe of their own, a unique language that comes from the choice of colors, images and drawings, all an extension of the creator's art. To me, it would be like trying to listen to a song while changing channels all the time. Your question reminded me A LOT of a deck I almost bought (because it looked cool and the art was fabulous) but didn't because I KNEW my readings would go chaotic. In case you're curious, this is it:
http://lightgreyartlab.com/tarot-mystics-and-the-occult/
But hey, I am sure many readers wouldn't mind building a "perfect" deck ;)

earthair

My goodness that deck has something for everyone, from cartoon dogs to octopuses :D

I think if a person was assembling a deck from multiple sources, the resulting deck would be more homogenized hopefully! Whereas 78 artists working independently will always produce a deck without core vision?

AJ

shadowdancer made one and loves it and the two Franken decks were made up of cards from members broken decks. So I know it can be done with decks that aren't all the same size.

I haven't a clue who owns or holds the Franken decks but there are long threads on it's creation.

edited to add: Welcome to AT!

Richard

If all tarot decks were a standard size, with identical backs, would you pick your favourite cards from a variety of decks to make your personal ideal deck?!.....
Never! It would lack coherence and consistency.

moon_light

Decks have a certain mood and I think that's a big part of reading, at least for me. I couldn't do it.

Amanda

I think I could swing either having a deck with the same style, but totally different variations in colors.. or the opposite, totally same colors utilized among various styles (except digital and real photography -- really don't like those styles for some reason). If both (style and color) were on target, it'd be too much like a normal deck, but if both were totally off (like the Frankendecks, for example) I don't think I'd have good enough connection reading between cards. But yeah, I'd probably be a little OCD about having all the cards be same size, same cardstock, and probably even same backings. :D

PathWalker

I have two "Patchwork decks" - they followed on from my reading about the decks created here.

I used cards from 78 different decks, they don't have the same size or shape, nor were they chosen as "favourite" cards, just what was gifted to me. So not really the same as your question, but just to let you know it has been done in a way.

It's quite true the decks do not have the cohesion mentioned by some readers, any more than any collaborative deck does, but I like the raw edge of their readings. There are no frills with a patchwork deck, no nice theme to hide behind, no overwhelming calm colours or cute styles. You have to read it exactly as it comes, and they pack a punch, these readings :)

Helmsdale

Pick'n'Mix

The most insightful tarot reading I ever had was a few years ago by an Indian woman. She used a stack of battered cards from all kinds of different packs. It was the first time I'd ever come across the method and I was sceptical, but it was one hell of a reading. She predicted a major disaster looming in my career. At that time, everything at work seemed wonderful, with a recent bonus and an upgraded company car. But within the week, it all turned upside down with my division dismantled and me on garden leave pending redundancy. So boy, was she right. That changed my opinion about the possible value of using a pick'n'mix tarot pack, but I've never quite been able to bring myself to jumble my collection to make my own.

Chimera Dust

This is a neat idea and would be useful when you love some card groups (like a certain suit, or the majors) about a deck, but everything else seems off.

I wouldn't use it, though. It would feel weird to me if my cards came from completely different decks, unless the artwork of both matched in some way.