using non traditional decks as a beginner

tarotbear

I don't think it's ABSOLUTELY necessary to start on the RWS, but it depends on what deck you are thinking to learn on. If it's something that is 'out of the mainstream' and you 'learn' it's peculiar meanings you may have difficulty applying those meanings to a 'normal' deck ... or any other deck you may purchase in the future. Then again, too, I had a student that loved a particular deck and as she took my classes she realized that that deck had blah & boring Pip cards that told her nothing.

Seleni

I started with the Scapini medieval tarot deck, which is much more loaded with symbolism than the RW and in retrospect, I think it took me more time to learn the cards than what it would probably take with a simpler deck, but I can't say I regret that! Actually I always disliked RW and I don't feel it would work for me anyway. The only problem is that when you are very new and you're studying the meanings of the cards, most interpretations are based on RW or similar decks, which may not resonate with the one you have.

cardwitch

(I'm up past my bedtime, so forgive me if this post is a little incoherent)

It all depends on what you plan to get out of your experience with the Tarot. Based on my understanding of how Tarot readings work, once you've mastered the use of your current deck, you can easily go the rest of your life getting accurate readings and never need buy another deck or bother memorizing the RWS system. Because it's not the system that matters; it's having a store of meanings and associations to fall back on, combined with the ability to intuitively interpret the cards while in the act of conducting a reading, that makes a cartomancer.

It's true that it's easier to find learning material based on the RWS, but if you're not interested in memorizing other people's card meanings, that isn't really an issue, is it? ;)

That said, if you're going to be spending a lot of time on this website, at least a passing familiarity with the RWS would be beneficial. I actually read almost entirely with playing cards or the Tarot of Marseille, but I started my Tarot journey with the RWS, and I fall back on my knowledge of it when interacting with other Tarot readers online. Also, if you're like most people, you'll soon start buying up a storm of decks, and most of those will probably be based on the RWS. This means that even if you don't make a special study of the RWS, eventually you'll start noticing common elements between the same cards in different decks, which in a roundabout way will lead you straight back to it anyway. It's kind of inescapable like that })

So do as thou wilt, basically, once thou hast determined exactly what it is thou wilt do. And have fun! Your journey is just beginning :D

Ace

That said, if you're going to be spending a lot of time on this website, at least a passing familiarity with the RWS would be beneficial.

I agree it helps, but I think a better starting deck is the Robin Wood. Much like the RWS but a little clearer. Really, I think we should pick a deck that talks to us: we look at some cards and KNOW what that card means, even before looking at the book. It has a MEANING for us. Then go through the deck and booklet with it and then PUT THE BOOK AWAY. And figure out your OWN meanings, those are the ones that count.
Good luck on your tarot journey.

Barb

dancing_moon

Welcome to AT! :)

To the great recommendations above, I'd like to add the following: in my opinion, it's necessary to get a good grasp of your deck, whichever it is, through studying. Going with your hunches only might be good, but I've found that at times of anxiety and not knowing what to do, my hunches are usually muddled and uncertain (or silent altogether!) - and those are, of course, the times when I need Tarot advice the most! That's why, IMHO, it's very useful to have at least a basic, but consistent, idea of what each card means before starting to trust the hunches alone.

I don't have any of the decks you have, but I think Wildwood Tarot has a companion book (?), and the Shadowscapes has or is about to have one as well (and the artist's website has quite informative, though brief, descriptions of each card along with a larger image of each). I think it would be a good idea to check out those books and study the system behind the deck as seen by the creator(s)/artist(s). That way, you'll have a strong base for doing clear and concise readings even at the times when your bias tries to chime in.

Good luck on the life-long Tarot journey, and hope to see you around the AT often! ;)

Zephyros

From my experience people's tastes and goals change and develop over time, and one's expectations can be very different from where they eventually end up. My first deck was the Oswald Wirth, which I couldn't connect to, followed by the RWS, then Morgan-Greer, then nothing for a few years, then something else until I eventually stumbled upon the Thoth. Nothing that I did before really had any application to the Thoth, except for a general understanding of the Tarot world and what was what. I don't regret the time passed until I found "it," but my tastes have certainly changed dramatically.

I guess the important thing is to start and see where it takes you. You can't really plan ahead too far. They don't call it a journey for nothing. ;)

Cocobird55

The first deck I was able to read with was the Buckland Romani. It spoke to me.

I did try reading with it again a month ago, and didn't get anything out of it.

Ladyblackbyrd

(I'm up past my bedtime, so forgive me if this post is a little incoherent)

Also, if you're like most people, you'll soon start buying up a storm of decks, and most of those will probably be based on the RWS. This means that even if you don't make a special study of the RWS, eventually you'll start noticing common elements between the same cards in different decks, which in a roundabout way will lead you straight back to it anyway. It's kind of inescapable like that })

So do as thou wilt, basically, once thou hast determined exactly what it is thou wilt do. And have fun! Your journey is just beginning :D

I agree with Cardwitch on this point. Most decks are based on the Rider Waite system, some more so than others, so you may end up picking it up as you go along.

I would just buy the deck that you feel resonates the most with you and then go from there. If you are excited about it, you will be inspired to work with it and learn more about Tarot. In my personal opinion, the whole process should be organic and feel like a natural progression. I think that everyone will agree that there is no right or wrong way to approach card reading and lots of us just kind of jumped in with both feet.

I also just read this great post on the forum called Invitation to Tarot. I loved the perspective that Enrique Enriquez used and it offers up some advice for the beginner and seasoned reader. Here is the link:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=68320

Owl Tarot

Hi! I'm completely new to tarot in most ways. In fact, I picked up my first deck because the images intrigued me and I thought they might help inspire my creative writing and character building. As it happens, this is also a time in my life of spiritual exploration. And I suddenly find that I am drawn to the ideas of tarot and oracles. I don't know that I want to know my future, but I do want to feel connected to the things I know are around me I can't see.

That being said, I've done some research, and am finding my deck hunches to go against conventional wisdom. I am not feeling drawn to or interested in the traditional rider waite deck. At all. I keep being interested in wildwood, shadowscapes, the faeries Oracle. Should I go the way I feel? Or is it important to get a traditional grasp first? Any suggestions on decks or how to start for the first time. I'm a single mother in my last year of my twenties, for reference.

I don't know what "conventional" wisdom is or if wisdom is divided, but if you want my opinion go for the deck you can connect with, whatever that may be. I would recommend you to go for a deck you feel at ease with, you enjoy looking the pictures and that keeps your imagination (another form of intuition) running. If it goes with a companion book, even better because you will get to see the creator's views on his/her deck. Taking a deck you enjoy will help you get going and you'll keep it for a longer time than "just another deck". If you learn one deck, it will become pretty easy to learn another one because your personal connection to each card will still be there to aid you. No time is wasted, no matter how you want to use the Tarot, for spiritual growth, divination, playing games e.t.c..

From my experience people's tastes and goals change and develop over time, and one's expectations can be very different from where they eventually end up. My first deck was the Oswald Wirth, which I couldn't connect to, followed by the RWS, then Morgan-Greer, then nothing for a few years, then something else until I eventually stumbled upon the Thoth. Nothing that I did before really had any application to the Thoth, except for a general understanding of the Tarot world and what was what. I don't regret the time passed until I found "it," but my tastes have certainly changed dramatically.

I guess the important thing is to start and see where it takes you. You can't really plan ahead too far. They don't call it a journey for nothing. ;)

Also important to keep in mind, me too in my years of enjoying the beauty and wisdom of Tarot I have switched deck a few times. Just as Clos, I started with the Wirth Tarot (which was created originally without a Minor Arcana) and moved to Thoth, where I currently am and I am also enjoying some other decks which I connect with, as they spark my interest and creativity and I can meditate upon. It is a journey as mentioned above, so enjoy it.

danieljuk

welcome to AT bethany! :) :thumbsup:

Ultimately when learning tarot, you find your own tarot path and the decks that really call you and you get on with. Not everyone likes or finds that deck with the RWS but it is so traditional and like others have said it has so much info online about it.

I would give it a go with the deck that really appeals to you! See if you can learn with it. Some decks are quite advanced in using them and there is some decks that I have had to really remember my tarot structure and basics that I learnt with the RWS to use them. The decks you list are not too difficult though, they have nice very expressive images.

I would say give it a go! ultimately you need to read the images and if you can that is great, if you can't, I would buy a RWS deck to go with it.
I own the wildwood and the images are quite expressive to read from (but sometimes a bit weird in their theme for the card). I wouldn't base your readings too much on the book for it. The book has loads of text for each card but I find myself just going with my own take on the images and that is ultimately the way tarot learning should go in my opinion :)