Do you pay attention to "jumping cards"?

GotH

Yes.. I agree with the above poster. ^ I know the difference between a lousy shuffle and a card that makes an obvious jump. This is when I take notice of its significance by usually placing it to the side for further reference.

Nineveh

My belief is that if cards fall or "jump" from the deck or hide in the box to be discovered later, they're removing themselves from the reading. Meaning that they don't want to be drawn so they make sure they can't be drawn in the course of the spread. I know that's the opposite of what others believe, but this is my firm belief.

If you found cards still in the box that had come up for the same question or a similar one in the past, then the significance I put on that would be that they're telling you that the interpretation that was made of them last time isn't the right one. Or that the situation has changed in those two aspects and an additional one represented by the other card hiding in the box. Same if they "jump" or "fly" or "tip-toe" or otherwise remove themselves from the deck.

I'm not funnin' anybody. This is how I do see it and it works very well for me.

Hi, Grizabella! I know this isn't my thread but thanks for posting. Your view on jumpers is very interesting; I will try it.

Nineveh

I've used jumpers as the direct answer to the question.

Cocobird55

If a card jumps out at me, I pay attention to it and add it to the reading.

Mellaenn

I go either way. I kind of tune in to my intuition and it will tell me if I just shuffled poorly or there is something to notice about the 'jumper'.

SunChariot

When you are reading for yourself, or even others, do you pay attention to cards that may fall out of the deck when you are shuffling? I was pulling cards for myself the other day and after I'd shuffled and drawn the cards I noticed that 3 cards were still in the box. Two of them happened to be cards that I'd drawn a few days before, which gave me pause. I just kept going with the cards that I'd pulled, but I've wondered about this before.
Do you pay attention when cards happen to point themselves out to you, or do you just put them back in the deck and keep going?

It depends, there is more than one situation described here.

But overall. I believe that anything that happens within a reading can have meaning. And any meaning related to what the querent asked about, they have the right to know that. It is part of their answer.

Jumpers, which I for some reason got in the habit of calling "flipped cards" LOL (the ones that fall of the deck while shuffling..., yes I do include them in reading. No, I don't put them back in the deck and shufllfle. I put them to the side and then continue the reading. I include them in after the cards I purposely chose, as an addition to the message.

That is if less than 3 come out at once. IF I were to drop half the deck during shuffling I would not try to incorporate that many cards into a reading. But I might see something in it happens. Life if 50 cards "fell down: out of my hand onto the table. It might talk about the querent "falling" in love of their feeling "down"

All of these are message for the querent, the way I work. I believe flipped cards/jumpers are extra special cards. They are important messages and deep ones that the querent is being asked to stop and think about.

To tell you the truth, I really kind of like my flipped cards. I usually TRY to shuffle a bit carelessly so I can get some. :grin:

BUT IF there were cards left in the box, and I only notice it after the reading is done for me that is not a message for the querent. When that happens I take it as a personal message for me, the reader. I take it as my life wanted to tell me something personally and it took the chance to do so as I was using the cards.

Babs

Miss Woo

I have a hard enough time trying to interpret my reading as it is without extra jumping cards so I just ignore them. I have decided to stop using Quint and Base/Shadow cards for this very reason (and I have never used reversals).

I find that all these extra things confuse me.

I just stick with the cards I pull and trust that the Universe will tell me everything I need to know from them.

Grizabella

BUT IF there were cards left in the box, and I only notice it after the reading is done for me that is not a message for the querent. When that happens I take it as a personal message for me, the reader. I take it as my life wanted to tell me something personally and it took the chance to do so as I was using the cards.

Babs

This is an interesting thought, too. Seeing them as being a message for the reader is a legitimate thought about ones left in the box. :)

I have a hard enough time trying to interpret my reading as it is without extra jumping cards so I just ignore them. I have decided to stop using Quint and Base/Shadow cards for this very reason (and I have never used reversals).

I find that all these extra things confuse me.

I just stick with the cards I pull and trust that the Universe will tell me everything I need to know from them.

I'm right beside you on this one. The simpler and more straightforward it is the better for me. I don't use quint, shadow, base, dignities-----usually just the cards I pull for the spread are what I use. I don't know where all the extra stuff comes from, but I don't think the cards need all the extra stuff. I think they can work very well just used in a basic way. If something else needs added in, then I trust that would be made plain during the reading and I can't rule that out, but mostly it doesn't happen that way for me.

Eremita90

I take note of which cards have popped out of the deck and I see if I can fit them into the reading, but I won't cry or despair if I can't :D. However, I've noticed that when I read just one card, e.g. when I do readings for the FTN, jumping cards tend to be important.

Eider

Interesting thread. It's cool how different things work for different people. There is no single right way.

I pay attention to the jumpers (I like the word :)). I often have some cards that keep coming to me until I get the advice or change things. Those cards tend to jump out of the deck. It creeped me out a bit when it started happening (those same cards over and over again and then a different card again and again and so on) but now I know they are very important. They are something I need to see.