Help with old oppression

SilkyRaven8

Hello there,

I'm fairly new to this community, and am really enjoying being a part of it.

I just wanted to ask for some advice re: ways that I can move forward with some past oppressive issues that are really bothering me at the moment. Basically, when I was a teenager I got sucked into going to a large, Pentecostal church, as I was seeking answers. I was at that church for some years, and then, left, as I knew it just wasn't right for me, and I didn't believe in the oppressive nature of much of what was taught. It was constantly repeated that anything other than Jesus was the devil, basically, and that the devil was someone who was out to trick us. They were the kind of church who sent gay people to be "made straight", and who told women to "stay in their place".

Now, many years on from that experience, I have a strong bond to the art of Tarot, and always feel so inspired and encouraged when I do a reading. I feel grounded, loved, connected to..like The Universe is there and is telling me everything will be OK. But, somehow, still deep within my mind, these intrusive thoughts come up that tell me I am going to burn in hell for reading tarot.

In the last 12 months I have done some tarot readings in exchange for a small fee. I consider myself a with "baby" with tarot, however, I feel an instant connection to them, and people have told me that my readings have been very good. Tarot has been a part of my life since I was very young, as my mother did readings, and her step-mother taught her.

I just desperately want to figure out how to blank these thoughts, because, right now, I really want to start going to markets and doing readings there, sort of like busking (charging $5 for a quick reading, for example), but these thoughts are really hammering me. My heart says that I can help people through readings, I can be encouraging to them, but my head says that Tarot is the work of the devil (Which I absolutely know is not true).

I know the thoughts are quite complex, as I was technically quite brainwashed by this church, yet I got out. I never had a problem with the teachings of Jesus, in fact, I really feel a connection to His spirit, I just don't want anything to do with the type of Christians who oppress others. I love reading tarot, and honestly feel like it's part of my purpose on this planet...and then, come the thoughts. The destructive thoughts.

Any advice, suggestions, what have you, so much appreciated.

Blessed be! xoxo

Eremita90

Welcome :) Well, I don't know that I have good advice for your situation, especially beause I don't see any easy recipe, but I think the best thing I can tell you to do is: do some work on yourself... with tarot. Honestly, I cannot think of a better tool for coming to terms with one's fears, thoughts, etc.
If you want my honest opinion, I think that trying to "blank" those thoughts will not help you very much. I believe many people have something of their past they fail to integrate in who they are, and usually "blanking" these part of oneself means hiding them in the basement of your personality. I don't want to say, clearly, that you have to make concessions to who you were in the past; simply that takling it as a heavy obstacle you have to remove will only reinforce it in your conscience.
There are many buddhist fairytales and legends that speak of how hard it is to reach enlightenment if you think of it as something you have to want or pursue as if it was an object in front of you. Now, here it is not about enlightenment, but I think it's the same issue: actively trying to suppress those thoughts is not usually successful (in my experience, of course. Yes, I too have to cope with similar problems). It is much better to work with them, refine them, bring them to light, understand them. And as I said, I think tarot is a wonderful tool for this.

Hope it helps :) and welcome again

GGTarot

I have read in books that tarot is used in some branches of the catholic church and Christianity. However it can be used as a sin if misused for ones own gain. Like for example to gain knowledge from someone else to use as black mail. Some witches would misuse tarot for black magic. It all depends on how you use tarot. That is all my opinion based on Acts 16:16 in the bible, that talks about a slave girl who practice divination so her owner would become rich.

Think of it this way, using tarot to help our inner psychic power is a gift from god. Jesus's miracles were a gift from god and he used them for good. He did not misuse them or abuse them. Therefor we should all do the same when dealing with tarot, otherwise it would be a sin. Most people would view fortune tellers as sinful because they are doing gods work. But Jesus Christ also had the ability of gods work. And by the way, I love Jesus so very dearly. If we have a gift we should use it in a good way.

Now about the money thing. What I usually do is allow people to donate to me for my free services. I am in your shoes at that I could use the money but I can't help but think I should use tarot card reading to help others. But I think accepting 5 dollars here and there does not make you greedy. However if you expect more and more money by the minute like those psychic hotlines, then that would be very greedy indeed.

Just remember the golden rule and reflect on your own beliefs.

moon_light

I was raised in a very oppressive religion and didn't manage to get out until I was 22. I was also taught that tarot was evil, despite a life-long fascination with it. It took me a few years more to actually try tarot. I had to get rid of a lot of the hold the religion had on me before I could open myself up to it.

From a religious perspective (since that will always be with me in some way), I think the whole "by their fruits shall ye know them" concept applies. Tarot has brought good things into my life. It gives me insight and it helps me live a better life. I've also been able to use it to help other people, which is a good thing, too. So if the result of using tarot is good things, it can't really be evil. Can tarot be used for evil? Sure, but everything can. It sounds like your religion used Jesus's teachings to be hateful. What matters is what you do with the cards and the effect they have on your life and those you read for.

SilkyRaven8

Thank you all so much for your replies, it really has helped me greatly.

I do feel like I really need to spend time meditating and connecting with The Divine, and just understanding that reading tarot is right for me. When I do it, it feels so right...feels so natural. It is when I am doing other things, that is when the thoughts come in that tell me I am going to hell. Not very nice!

I had some readings this morning & yesterday, and prior to them, I had the thoughts, and this negativity was upon me, but as soon as I started shuffling the cards, I relaxed...I felt calm, and I felt God, very clearly say "this if what you are meant to be doing". I believe reading tarot is all about intent. If you genuinely in your heart just want to help others, and want to bring them closer to The Divine, then you will.

Our minds and very powerful, and being indoctrinated at a younger age really does harm your development. I very much so love Jesus & want to respect Him in everything that I do, and it is great to know that I can respect him and still read tarot for people, sending on messages from the greater good.

Thank you again for all of your wise, wonderful words!

Blessed be!

Grizabella

I won't bore you with my big, long, boring, rugged story. lol I'll just say that you have nothing to worry about. You're probably far closer to God and Jesus by using the cards than you ever were when trapped in that religious rat race. Just pray that you can read the cards in the most unconditionally loving way possible and ask that you be able to understand the message that's meant for the sitter as shown in the cards without your own learned black and white judgmental attitude. :) I can tell your heart is in the right place and I know you'll become a very loving, kind and insightful reader as you grow in your skills with the cards. You can get lots of help here on AT and you've got a lot of best friends here you've never even met yet. :)

Ruby Jewel

Hello there,

I'm fairly new to this community, and am really enjoying being a part of it.

I just wanted to ask for some advice re: ways that I can move forward with some past oppressive issues that are really bothering me at the moment. Basically, when I was a teenager I got sucked into going to a large, Pentecostal church, as I was seeking answers. I was at that church for some years, and then, left, as I knew it just wasn't right for me, and I didn't believe in the oppressive nature of much of what was taught. It was constantly repeated that anything other than Jesus was the devil, basically, and that the devil was someone who was out to trick us. They were the kind of church who sent gay people to be "made straight", and who told women to "stay in their place".

Now, many years on from that experience, I have a strong bond to the art of Tarot, and always feel so inspired and encouraged when I do a reading. I feel grounded, loved, connected to..like The Universe is there and is telling me everything will be OK. But, somehow, still deep within my mind, these intrusive thoughts come up that tell me I am going to burn in hell for reading tarot.

In the last 12 months I have done some tarot readings in exchange for a small fee. I consider myself a with "baby" with tarot, however, I feel an instant connection to them, and people have told me that my readings have been very good. Tarot has been a part of my life since I was very young, as my mother did readings, and her step-mother taught her.

I just desperately want to figure out how to blank these thoughts, because, right now, I really want to start going to markets and doing readings there, sort of like busking (charging $5 for a quick reading, for example), but these thoughts are really hammering me. My heart says that I can help people through readings, I can be encouraging to them, but my head says that Tarot is the work of the devil (Which I absolutely know is not true).

I know the thoughts are quite complex, as I was technically quite brainwashed by this church, yet I got out. I never had a problem with the teachings of Jesus, in fact, I really feel a connection to His spirit, I just don't want anything to do with the type of Christians who oppress others. I love reading tarot, and honestly feel like it's part of my purpose on this planet...and then, come the thoughts. The destructive thoughts.

Any advice, suggestions, what have you, so much appreciated.

Blessed be! xoxo

Evil is in the mind...not in the object. When evil is projected onto an object, it is called "voodoo". A person who believes in voodoo is a victim of what Levi Strauss (African anthropologist) calls "participation mystique." When you participate in empowering an object with qualities that exist only in the human mind, such as evil, you are practicing the art of voodoo.

So, it depends on how the Reader uses the cards. Tarot cards can be used to express spiritual truths that are revealed to the Reader through a "sixth sense", or the Reader can invest the cards, by way of projection, with human powers such as evil. How do you want to use them? As a tool for spiritual growth or something that carries a projection from your mind. We humans are responsible for the way we use any kind of energy, whether it be fire, electricity, or psychic energy. It is a personal responsibility of every individual to rationalize his or her own intentions. Neither our parents nor the church can assume that responsibility for us.....although they might like to.

Disa

It occurs to me that you are signing your posts "blessed be". A Pagan or Wiccan saying(in my experience). It's burning in hell you are worrying about- maybe some internal work on what Hell is (or isn't) to you? Getting a firm grip on your belief system and/or defining what things mean to you can be a catalyst to removing fear.

You know what's in your heart. Your heart is pure. You are working from a place of love. Go from there and move forward :)

Ask the cards, you'll see.

They (people) say love and fear cannot exist at the same time?

Owl Tarot

As other people have already pointed out, since your heart seems to be in place about it I think you should go for it without regrets. We readers who post here each have a story to tell, but I think a pretty important thing to consider is that there are Christian decks out there and that if you do look up the history of the Tarot, you will notice it is heavily influenced by Christianity. There are some controversial theories about the origins of the Tarot, but -outside of theorising and assuming- the Tarot's (as 78 cards I mean) documented history starts from Catholic countries, hence if you look the oldest decks you will notice heavy Christian imagery being there. I would encourage you to look it up yourself, and people in this thread have made excellent points which are also helpful for your case. Reading for yourself on the topic is a good suggestion overally, but checking out the history of the Tarot may help you as well.

Also, "blessed be" is used by many Christian priests and followers I know of and pretty oftenly as well.

SilkyRaven8

Thank you all so much :)

I feel very encouraged to better understand why I feel this way. In truth, when I ask myself, I don't believe in hell as such. I believe in a spiritual afterlife, but I feel as though it is something similar to levels, different frequencies or vibrations. Perhaps if you have a bad heart and harm others, you have to come back and do it again, until your soul can progress. This is just what I believe.

I consider myself, if I have to label myself, as a Pagan/Wicca Christian, which I know is a little odd in a sense. I feel a very strong connection to the Earth, and always have, so worshiping the Earth just makes sense to me. I choose to live by the rules of the Rede and The Rule of Three (karma), and to also, what I believe is the core message of Christianity...love thy neighbor. I find that The Bible has been altered and littered by man, and even though there are some beautiful, wise, God given messages in there, I just feel like it has been used to cause to much pain and hatred. People so often use the bible as a weapon, and I actually feel very uncomfortable holding a bible. which I know is definitely due to my past experiences.

I also find it somewhat comical that much of Christianity spawned from Pagan beliefs (religious holidays and so on) yet, Christians demonize Pagans & Wiccans, calling them devil worshipers! Which is so incredibly silly. Evil is entirely man made, and being Pagan / Wiccan is focused around putting good energy out into the world, using natural, white magick, and just genuinely loving the earth under your feet.