What's that black chicken doing in the Druidcraft deck?

Grizabella

I keep seeing this black chicken and I always forget to ask if anyone knows what it's doing on some of the cards. Does anyone know what it's supposed to signify?

cheekyminx

*pulls out her druidcraft*

cheekyminx

Black rooster. He's in the five of wands & the magician cards....can't see him anywhere else?

nisaba

Grizabella said:
I keep seeing this black chicken and I always forget to ask if anyone knows what it's doing on some of the cards. Does anyone know what it's supposed to signify?
The black hen is sacred to Celts, it occurs as a part of the shape-shifting sequence in the legend of Taliessin (Gwion turns into a grain of wheat, and Ceridwen, pursuing him, turns into a black hen), and it occurs as the Great Mother (laying the egg that is earth).

I'm not set up to keep chooks in this house, but when I was, it was always a bit of a grief to me that I never seemed to be in a position to adopt a laying black hen in honour of Her.

AJ

I have nine black hens that are the delight of my days and fodder for one of my blogs. What fun to have a tie to tarot, thank you for bring it up Griz.

Grizabella

You're welcome AJ and thank you so much, nisaba,for explaining it to us. :D

Starshower

Well said, Nisaba! I belong to OBOD (the Order of Bards, Ovates & Druids, of which Phillip Carr-Gomm is Chosen Chief) & know Phillip & Stephanie, who designed this deck, quite well from camps, seasonal rituals @ Glastonbury & Stonehenge, workshops, Circles, Druidic talks & celebrations, etc.

Yes, indeed: the 5s of all four suites in the Druidcraft deck (which marries symbolism from closely-related neo-Druidry & Wicca - 'The Craft' - both born from the Masonic / Golden Dawn / Rosicrucian esoteric traditions) show the shape-shiftings of Ceridwen chasing Gwion; as in the famous folk-songs & legends.
It represents the love-chase / Initiation sequence from the Welsh traditional myth where Gwion Bach is finally, after accidentally tasting the sacred brew he was stirring in her cauldron, 'swallowed' & then re-born from the Wise-Witch / Goddess Ceridwen as Taliesin - the greatest Poet & Bard in Welsh traditional legend.

eta: Notice that he changes form & shape in this chase, going through 'ordeals' by Earth, Air, Fire & Water - here seen in the 4 suites (cf similar Trials in Mozart's 'Magic Flute' & many, if not most, Mystery-School Initiations.)

merissa_88

Thanks for explaining this!

I had wondered about that myth showing up in the 5 cards but couldn't understand why. It looks like Ceridwen is really important in this deck because of the Taliesin story. Other goddesses show up but she seems to have repeating symbols.