Dusserre Dodal Copy?

Madrigal

Hello,

If it is a reproduction of the Dodal your are looking for, you can find some in this shop : http://letarot.com/jean-dodal/index.html
But it is not the Dusserre edition I am afraid.

The shop I gave you the link to, seems serious and I think a Dodal from them would be faithful. They claim they make their reproductions from the original deck that is kept in the Bibliothèque Nationale (BN), so they seem serious enough. They also have Viéville and Noblet. They offer either decks of 78 cards or 22 Trumps, and for the 22 Trumps they have several options : a cheaper option industrial print, a more luxurious option colored by hand, either cut into cards or uncut on large paper leaf (sorry if my english is not precise here, but you will see what I mean if you visit the store)
Their site also have lots of info and interesting stuff, and appreciate the fact that they relate some of the historics and legends about tarot while always being clear what is historically attested with factual elements, and what is not, and therefore only of the domain of whishfull thinking.

I have never ordered from them, so I cannot really vouch from them ; only that I am very much wishing to get a Dodal reproduction one day for myslef, and I will probably get it from them if and when that day arrives, because I have been eyeing this boutique for a long time now.

If someone has ordered from them, I would love to hear feedback.
Thank you !

I have ordered from them. I've got the Noblet and it is stellar. They are well known and well-received and the Dodal you linked is popular. I believe one of the owners posts on here from time to time.

Tag_jorrit

Dodal facsimile repro here, not a redrawn repro.

Madrigal

Gah, really torn between this Dodal and the Flornoy. Any recs either way?

Tag_jorrit

Gah, really torn between this Dodal and the Flornoy. Any recs either way?

You're talking apples and oranges. The Flornoy is an exquisitely rendered re-drawing of the Dodal, with tastefully applied color and attention to detail. The facsimile Dodal is a reproduction of an actual deck from the 1700s with colors that were hand applied and not always inside the lines. Both are printed on good, riffle-able card stock.

There are subtle differences in facial expressions on the various characters. But that's OK, too. The best one is the one that appeals to your own eye. Which do you like better? Modern or antique?

Then again, you could get both.

Madrigal

You're talking apples and oranges. The Flornoy is an exquisitely rendered re-drawing of the Dodal, with tastefully applied color and attention to detail. The facsimile Dodal is a reproduction of an actual deck from the 1700s with colors that were hand applied and not always inside the lines. Both are printed on good, riffle-able card stock.

There are subtle differences in facial expressions on the various characters. But that's OK, too. The best one is the one that appeals to your own eye. Which do you like better? Modern or antique?

Then again, you could get both.

Yes, I realize they are two very different refractions of the same ray. I like both, for different reasons. Your version carries with it the atmosphere of perfect imperfection. The Flornoy carries with it the stylized ideal. Each have merit and I wish I could get both but now isn't the time for that. I'll have to sit with it, maybe pull a few cards around the question.

Philippe

Contrary to what one might think, the Dusserre Dodal is not so hard to find.

I saw it not often but several times on ebay and sold at a very reasonable price.

Anyway it's not the only tarot of this type to be worth the buying.

Papesses by PhilBeDaN, sur Flickr

From left to right :

1- Dusserre Dodal & its odd spelling (ignorant or deliberate ? one of the mysteries of this enigmatic deck)

2- Fournier Payen neat and clear

3- Often dissmissed as a fake but better than its reputation the tarot des Centuries. It is less clear to the eyes because of the pale colours and the red a bit too dominant but there is an overall feeling of alive-ness.

4- The Dodal restored by Flornoy, less my taste

Madrigal

Contrary to what one might think, the Dusserre Dodal is not so hard to find.

I saw it not often but several times on ebay and sold at a very reasonable price.

Anyway it's not the only tarot of this type to be worth the buying.

From left to right :

1- Dusserre Dodal & its odd spelling (ignorant or deliberate ? one of the mysteries of this enigmatic deck)

2- Fournier Payen neat and clear

3- Often dissmissed as a fake but better than its reputation the tarot des Centuries. It is less clear to the eyes because of the pale colours and the red a bit too dominant but there is an overall feeling of alive-ness.

4- The Dodal restored by Flornoy, less my taste

The Payen is quite lovely!