Art vs. Readability in Creating a Deck

Chimera Dust

The artwork is a big thing for me when buying a deck. There have been decks that had an interesting concept or theme but that I haven't bought because the artwork didn't look good to me.

Honestly? There's probably less point in a deck that has shoddy artwork than in one that sets a mood of its own. If a deck has interesting artwork and almost a world inside each card, even if it's harder for people to figure out the meanings "by the book", there will still be people who use it for intuitive readings or collect it for the art.

A deck that has very clear meanings but art that is just bland or flat isn't going to be of much use to most.

Of course, I think that it's best if there's a balance between being readable and having interesting, original art. The two cards you've posted seem like they'd fit right into that category. I was able to recognise the Hanged Man easily. I don't know if I would have recognised the Moon as easily, but maybe I would have after looking at the card and getting to know the world of your deck. I think I've seen some flower-based decks that had the Moon as a flower so it wouldn't be a stretch for me and it's an idea I've liked for a long time.

If you're unsure if readers can recognise the cards easily, you can have an unobtrusive label indicating what it is or use the LWB for that.

Yarrow

These are amazing. I too am going to keep close eye on your progress... I really like the b&w.

I personally want a readable deck. I would rather not have to look at labels to know what the card is. I am fairly strictly RW. Love you art!

Mindy

goldenquince

Thanks all for the POVs on this. I'm going to stay with a RWS framework for my cards and keep true to my style. As tarotbear said, my stuff can get pretty elaborate, but I don't want that to overshadow the general meaning of the card, so I'll be sketching out compositions first in order to create something readable. I've been working like a madwoman on the inks, and now I think it's time to do watercolor washes and finishes in PS.

Here are a few more black and whites:

Page of Cups: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YJJL7ZNqS1Q/VJXMNGU95LI/AAAAAAAABO8/LY_LFs4l9ck/s1600/pagecups.gif

The Sun: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bBv26TaZ8uU/VJXFl9iR7gI/AAAAAAAABN4/DVzgS5Er0_g/s1600/sun.gif

Eight of Swords: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QvncyJ0B1bA/VH0xtyO9PVI/AAAAAAAABLA/NtaPzXplfpI/s1600/8swords.gif

Ace of Pentacles: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-lZo6hTP9fr4/VH929esLfgI/AAAAAAAABLY/1B4d2qWkFPA/s1600/1pentacles.gif

I've started my blog and will share when I get everything set up the way I want it. And after I get a few of the cards colored and finished!

HudsonGray

I can see where the 8 of Swords would 'pop' better with color than in black and white. It's a mass of lines that the eye has difficulty distinguishing at first look.

Amsonia

Kind of off topic, but your black and white art is beautiful and the first thing that pops in my mind when I see it is "I want to color that!"

Maybe you could make a coloring book with the black and white images...(she says hopefully, :)

goldenquince

I can see where the 8 of Swords would 'pop' better with color than in black and white. It's a mass of lines that the eye has difficulty distinguishing at first look.

Yeah, I agree. I actually went through and counted the swords I don't know how many times just to make sure I wasn't making a mistake. I figured that since I didn't want to color a bunch of black around the swords, I'd make up for the confusing lines with the color.

Kind of off topic, but your black and white art is beautiful and the first thing that pops in my mind when I see it is "I want to color that!"

Maybe you could make a coloring book with the black and white images...(she says hopefully, :)

I have thought about that! But thanks for saying that because now it's got me thinking that that may be something to look into...

rota

To my way of thinking, a PRETTY deck isn't nearly as useful as a CLEAR deck. Lots of lovely froufrou is sort of meaningless if the card doesn't have a definite language.
Composition, color, choice of symbol language are all more important than decorative qualities.

As a good friend of mine points out from time to time, you can make a perfectly clear and serviceable deck with 78 pieces of paper, if each one has the card title written on it in block letters with a ballpoint pen. Tarot can be fancy, lush and gorgeous, but all the artsiness has to be in service of a clear language.

HudsonGray

You can easily offer a coloring book (home made, not even professionally finished off in regards to paper and printing) for sale over on Etsy.com Their zine/pamphlet/writing section has grown considerably over the years.

Amsonia

You can easily offer a coloring book (home made, not even professionally finished off in regards to paper and printing) for sale over on Etsy.com Their zine/pamphlet/writing section has grown considerably over the years.

Yes that would be a great idea, even if it was just coloring 'sheets'

And you can sell your deck on there too, if you are going to sell it...I don't mean to suppose that you are, but your art is so lovely that I hope you do consider it.

goldenquince

Yes that would be a great idea, even if it was just coloring 'sheets'

And you can sell your deck on there too, if you are going to sell it...I don't mean to suppose that you are, but your art is so lovely that I hope you do consider it.

Just checked out a bunch of zines on Etsy and looked up some resources on how to go about doing it for myself...I'm pumped!