What constitutes a "true" deck?

~X~

I've been reading through old threads and the phrases "true tarot" and "true Marseille" comes up quite a bit.

My question is, what determines if a deck is "true" or not. Is it the absence of one feature? one word? the addition of an item? Is it a "three strikes and you're out", thing?

Just curious.

Huck

It's a lovely anarchy ... anybody defines it for her/himself.

Diana

~X~ said:
Is it a "three strikes and you're out", thing?

LOL. That's kind of it!

When we're discussing the Marseille for instance, I think there are a few things which are essential and if they're not there, most Marseillists will say it can't be a true Marseille deck. Here are a few examples amongst many:

Take the Bateleur: He needs to have a leminscate, his table needs to have three legs (not four).

The Emperor: It is preferable that his legs form a cross. (Same with the Hanged Man.)

The Lovers card: Always a "cupid", one man and two women.

The Moon: Two dogs, a lobster/crab/crayfish and two towers on either side (the two towers are not the same.)

The Fool: If he is numbered 0, he's out. Not even three strikes here - one strike and you won't know what's hit you.

The World: An angel, an eagle, a lion and a bull in the four corners.

XIII (if this card is given a name, watch out). Chopped off heads are pretty important here.

etc. etc.

There are some basic stuff without which a Marseille deck can't be a Marseille deck. Because it wouldn't make sense anymore.

Also, turn the way they're facing and you're lost. Justice looks straight ahead, the Hermit turns to your left side (his right).....

~X~

Thanks, Diana.

Every little bit of information helps to keep up with the threads!

I had a feeling it was something like that. :)