Source for Moakley's book ?

gregory

Does ANYONE know where I can read Gertrude Moakley's book - I'd willingly buy one - but not for $99, the cheapest I can find.

It was published by USG according to one website I was on - could we maybe all beg for a reprint ? Is it reproduced anywhere on line (I've found her bit on the bagatto card, and wondered if searching long enough would turn it all up...)

rwcarter

Are you talking about "The Tarot Cards Painted by Bonifacio Bembo for the Visconti-Sforza Family: An Iconographic Study" or some other book?

gregory

Are you talking about "The Tarot Cards Painted by Bonifacio Bembo for the Visconti-Sforza Family: An Iconographic Study" or some other book?
That one precisely. Are there others ?

Astraea

She was a librarian and wrote a book about filing systems for medium-sized libraries. Her book about Bembo's iconography is the only one she wrote about tarot (I think she only wrote those two books, total).

I'd say if you found her tarot book for $99 and can afford it, that's a pretty good price (assuming it's in good or better condition) - it can go for $150-200 on used book sites.

rwcarter

That one precisely. Are there others ?
There could've been. It's always a good idea to say what book you're looking for instead of leaving folks to guess or figure it out for themselves. ;)

gregory

Good price - possibly. Can afford it - no.

I had hoped it was long enough ago that someone would have (legitimately) put it on line - I did read somewhere that Kaplan was considering republishing - anyone know if he's still thinking ?

gregory

It's actually UP there ?

Oh wait. I just signed up. You get to say you WANT to read it, and then you can talk to people who HAVE read it.... and other people who are wishing they could read it and have looked in a zillion Uni libraries and it isn't there and....

So - no :(

ETA But WAIT - I do have access to the Bodleian (Somehow uni libraries hadn't yet occurred to me !) - and I just looked and Dummett gave them a copy (Bequeathed - maybe it was his only one !) so I can go read it there. YES :D :D It's in rare books, so I shall have to actually read it right there, but even so. It only seems to be 165 pages... I can take copious notes for later.

Teheuti

And you get to spend a day at the Bodleian! I hear their halls are great for roller-skating, and so polished that you can even sock-skate if you fear they won't appreciate the noise of the roller-skates.

gregory

And you get to spend a day at the Bodleian! I hear their halls are great for roller-skating, and so polished that you can even sock-skate if you fear they won't appreciate the noise of the roller-skates.
Depends which BIT you are in. I have certainly slid unwillingly on the floor, in crocs with no tread ! Roller skates are ABSOLUTELY banned. Also heelies. I've no idea where I have to be to demand and read a "rare book" - never had to before. We shall see.

I was a little annoyed not to be allowed to take a Harry Potter fan just down the stairs (in full view of the doorman) to look through the door of the Radcliffe Camera... I can see not allowing huge groups of tourists - it would be a nightmare - but a registered user with ONE friend... then again, I could make MONEY... :D I'd think you could qualify as a user, if you can dream up a good reason to need to be in there - and I'm sure you could.