Using the tarot cards for a Halloween ritual

Redfirestone

I was wondering if there was a way to use tarot cards in a halloween ritual or if your a wiccan then to celebrate Samhain(sorry if i spelled it wrong)I wanted to do something cool with or without a candle.I want to do something that deals with energy or opening your third eye even wider. I know its super early to be talking about Halloween, but i was too curious.

Tanga

:) I love Halloween (Samhain) and am musing about it already too.

You've given me a good idea to invent a Tarot ritual for it... I'll think on it and post here later (probably 2 weeks from now as I'm really chockablock with work presently).

JackofWands

I have different cards that I associate with the spokes of the Wheel of the Year, and for me, Samhain/Halloween is very much about the High Priestess. Come Halloween, I'll be doing a massive reading for myself using the High Priestess as a significator.

Depending on your tastes, you could select a card (or cards) that resonate with what Halloween means to you, and do a ritual involving them. You wouldn't necessarily need candles, but you could construct a crystal grid, brew an herbal tea, read out a relevant poem/prayer, etc. It depends on what you believe and what you practice, but those are a few basic ideas. If you're a dualist Wiccan, you might want to choose two cards to represent the respective energies of the Goddess and dying God at this point in the year, and place them on your altar.

You could also do some kind of pathworking/active imagination/astral projection, and actually try to interact one-on-one with the energy of the card.

These are just a few ideas, but hopefully they'll spark some inspiration for you.

eolian

The wife & i plan on using the Dark Grimoire Tarot for a 6 month general reading on Samhain eve. Were looking forward to using it.

Shade

The main ways that they tend to be used in a Samhain ritual are:

To perform a large "year ahead" reading as this is the Wiccan new year. The Forest of Souls by Rachel Pollack has an excellent spread created for this purpose.

To cast spells. Check out Tarot Spells By Christine Jette.

For Shadow work. Check out Tarot for Shadow work by Christine Jette.

To communicate with the dead. I think there are a few threads on here about how to do that.

There is also a Halloween spreads thread in the spreads forum.

Tanga

Looked around a bit at different ideas and read those presented here too...

(Thankyou all - by-the-way).

Likely I'll wing it on the night.
I'll probably flip through my Barbara G Walker deck (Which is one of my decks specifically for ritual) draw some cards that speak of Samhain (Halloween) to me, decide what they represent and do my circle ritual to then meditate on these within it.
I happen to have some small crystal skulls - so I'm likely to use them to mark the quarters of the circle (Perfect!) - and then... (this has just occurred to me) I might lay out cards near each one to see what the skulls have to tell me. This could be along the lines of "What do the 4 quarters have to say to me about balance through the dark half of this year".

On Los Dia de los Muertos (2nd November, Day of the dead) I'll possibly do a Spirits/Ancestors/Guides reading to ask if there's anything they'd like to tell me.
My deck for this is The Golden Tarot (Kat Black).
I'll be "winging" that one too. (I have a number of spirit guides. And I also have an East African Loa/Lwa who I am named after. Don't speak to her much. This could be a great time for it. :) She was once a real person from my tribe - father's side - so, she's my ancestor.).

LindaMechele

On Halloween night, I hope to get some trick or treaters and scare the crap out of them so no time for spells then. But the next night or the one after, I'll be celebrating Day of the Dead with a Dumb Supper, not really a "spell" but more of a ritual - a dinner where you lay out places for your loved ones who are dead and have dinner with them quietly. I thought I'd use tarot cards for "place cards" - the Queen of Cups for my mom, King of Pentacles for my dad, Queen of Swords for one grandma, etc. I thought I'd lay them next to their place setting with candles above them.

Tanga

On Halloween night, I hope to get some trick or treaters and scare the crap out of them so no time for spells then. But the next night or the one after, I'll be celebrating Day of the Dead with a Dumb Supper, not really a "spell" but more of a ritual - a dinner where you lay out places for your loved ones who are dead and have dinner with them quietly. I thought I'd use tarot cards for "place cards" - the Queen of Cups for my mom, King of Pentacles for my dad, Queen of Swords for one grandma, etc. I thought I'd lay them next to their place setting with candles above them.

That is such a cool idea! :)
I wouldn't be able to do that myself at home - as I'd freak out the rest of the family.
Lol...

Redfirestone

It looks like everyone has something to do I'm still on my journey to learning about myself so I'm not 100% sure about what kind of Wiccan I'am, but I do know that my ritual on Halloween/Samhain will be about energy. I'm thinking about getting all the cards that represent happiness and peace and surrounding myself with them most likely i'll lay them out in a circle, I'll then get the cards that show negativity and then place them on my body(i'll be sitting down in a meditative position)depending on the amount of cards I should be able to have them on me. I'll realease my negative energy into the negative cards and then transfer them to all of the positive ones and hopefully it will convert to positive energy.Afterwards I'll take the negative cards off and maybe put them to the side and gather the positive ones so that I can get the now positive energy back or I'll release it so tht ppl who need it most can have it.

Redfirestone

I have different cards that I associate with the spokes of the Wheel of the Year, and for me, Samhain/Halloween is very much about the High Priestess. Come Halloween, I'll be doing a massive reading for myself using the High Priestess as a significator.

Depending on your tastes, you could select a card (or cards) that resonate with what Halloween means to you, and do a ritual involving them. You wouldn't necessarily need candles, but you could construct a crystal grid, brew an herbal tea, read out a relevant poem/prayer, etc. It depends on what you believe and what you practice, but those are a few basic ideas. If you're a dualist Wiccan, you might want to choose two cards to represent the respective energies of the Goddess and dying God at this point in the year, and place them on your altar.

You could also do some kind of pathworking/active imagination/astral projection, and actually try to interact one-on-one with the energy of the card.

These are just a few ideas, but hopefully they'll spark some inspiration for you.

That actually makes me want to do a prayer now, but I'll have to figure out who to pray to, I might use the Major Arcana so that I can use it as a model for each God/Goddess I pray to