Queering the Tarot Guest Blogs!

MacMorrighan

Hey guys, check out this fabulous blog series interpreting the tarot through a GLBT/ Queer lens! Honestly, I'm surprised that no one has done the subject justice, yet, through a proper book. However, if I had my way, I would like to see an anthology--a "Coven" of authors--to gather and pontificate on the various ritual, magical, divinatory, and spiritual application of the tarot through the unique lens of the GLBT/ Queer/ BDSM culture and experience! One would think that such an exegesis had already been written by now. Plenty of authors have had the opportunity and have passed on the subject. Pity, really.

http://littleredtarot.com/queering-the-tarot/

Neely 222

Can't wait to delve into that blog! It'd be nice to read interps that are less steeped in cisgendered and heteronormative framework and I say this as a cis/het woman myself. It's been a glaring neon sign for me for years now. For me, personally speaking, a lot interpretations are problematic in terms of gender and sexuality, not to mention other identity markers. Same with astrology.

And yes, I realize it's an ancient art, but for me, I bring my own 21st century present-ist lens to the table and I use that as a strength, rather than as a weakness to work against. It's how I was trained as a scholar in dramaturgy for play analysis. I guess that sort of contextualzing approach seeps over into how I critique and analyze the stories and ideas behind tarot and astrology.

I'm stoked to read this blog! Thanks for the rec!

cbiz83

Can't wait to delve into that blog! It'd be nice to read interps that are less steeped in cisgendered and heteronormative framework and I say this as a cis/het woman myself. It's been a glaring neon sign for me for years now. For me, personally speaking, a lot interpretations are problematic in terms of gender and sexuality, not to mention other identity markers. Same with astrology.

And yes, I realize it's an ancient art, but for me, I bring my own 21st century present-ist lens to the table and I use that as a strength, rather than as a weakness to work against. It's how I was trained as a scholar in dramaturgy for play analysis. I guess that sort of contextualzing approach seeps over into how I critique and analyze the stories and ideas behind tarot and astrology.

I'm stoked to read this blog! Thanks for the rec!

I've had moments of feeling at odds with the normative traditions in tarot. Similar to you, I'm trained as a literary scholar with a sizable focus in aesthetics. Though I've seen some queering of the Tarot writ large, I've strangely found myself uncomfortable with some of it since it seems to play on pervasive stereotypes. (e.g. The Gay Tarot with its pulp imagery and Tom of Finland slant alienated me as a gay man more than resonated. Indeed, I found it cringeworthy) I think oracle cards, in departing from the rigidity of tarot have pushed the envelope into more encompassing spaces, in general.

Neely 222

I've had moments of feeling at odds with the normative traditions in tarot. Similar to you, I'm trained as a literary scholar with a sizable focus in aesthetics. Though I've seen some queering of the Tarot writ large, I've strangely found myself uncomfortable with some of it since it seems to play on pervasive stereotypes. (e.g. The Gay Tarot with its pulp imagery and Tom of Finland slant alienated me as a gay man more than resonated. Indeed, I found it cringeworthy) I think oracle cards, in departing from the rigidity of tarot have pushed the envelope into more encompassing spaces, in general.

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I've not yet read any queering of the tarot or really, much of anything that challenges what I see as interpretive norms re sexuality and identity. It's indeed very disappointing to hear about the cringeworthy stereotyping in the queering you've found. I've not delved into oracle cards, but I've been considering it in my search for more inclusive interpretations. Not that we don't or can't form our own interpretive framework, but when it feels like a body of scholarship or just the general discourse writ large is geared toward exclusionary frameworks of interpretation, I can't keep from going into critical analysis mode. It's always as fascinating as it is frustrating, that's for sure. I'm really considering getting an oracle deck, but I'm not even sure where I want to start.

MacMorrighan

I wonder. Are we thinking of the same "Gay Tarot"? Produced by Lo Scarabeo? Granted, I don't own that deck, though I've seen the cards from it and it was utterly boring--as boring as stick figures! "Where was the Gay culture?", I asked! I didn't see anything even remotely redolent of Tom of Finland, however, if we are thinking of two different decks with a similar name, please let me know. I'd be very interested to look into another deck of this sort that wasn't so sanitized and banal. Like you and Neely, I am also of an academic persuasion! :)

Nosgo

Yeah don't confound the "gay tarot" and the out of print "gay male tarot" (the second being more like Tom of Finland stuff :D)... The "Gay Tarot" is not my kind of deck because I don't like the drawing that looks cartoonish but in term of representation of a community I've found they did a great job : you have everything from the young cute twink to the elder bear, every style, age, ethnic origin etc...

Regarding "Queering the tarot" I just love that serie! I like the way she talk about the rather easy symbols and "queer" interpretation without staying too shallow. She go deep and far sometimes and offer a real new layer of interpretation! Would be great if she decide to publish it as a book once she go through every arcana.