Book of Thoth Study Group- The Fool

VGimlet

The sun at his groin could be the force of creation, at least that's what I get from the whole sun/Apollo/energy connection that runs through the Thoth.

The crocodile might also represent the physical, base part of the body - the blind reptilian-type needs that have nothing to do with any higher ideals or processes.

Zephyros

In her essay, Harris say that he is seated on Harpocrates. How is he portrayed here? The lizard? The flowers?

Amchakuaton

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and I have to say - the threads I have followed thus far have been great. I love everyone's enthusiasm and the supportive environment/feeling!

I have been looking at the Fool card (many new insights coming up... as I am sparked by your posts) and it occurs to me that he is literally "sitting on Harpocrates ( the morning sun)." Before the yellow background didn't make sense to me. Now it seems to me that he is actually sitting (leaping from another perspective) on a triangle/pyramid suggested by some very subtle lines. Does anyone else get that?

Another thing. He simultaneously appears to be leaping off the shore/surface of the sun past the marsh and beyond the grasp of the crocodile.

Question: What/who do you think the two children might be? I think the fool may have given birth to them... i.e. the nothing (O) birthing duality? 0 =2?

InvisibleSoul

Hi everyone!

It says in the first post quote, "He holds the Wand of Fire, the Cup of Water, the Sword of Air, and the bag of planetary Discs."

I see the Wand and the bag of Disks, but I can't seem to make out the Cup and Sword in his other hand?
The closest I've been able to see so far is that maybe he's holding the cup upside down, but that's a funky diamond-shaped stem to the cup if that's the Cup! :p
And I don't see anything resembling a sword anywhere! LOL
(Being an artist, I feel stupid, because I LOVE detailed symbolic stuff like this and can usually adjust my eyes and see the hidden things! haha)

CreativeFire

Hi InvisibleSoul

Yes, the funky shaped diamond stem of the cup held upside down is indeed the cup and then you can see the water flowing down from the cup on the left hand side of the card. It is also similiar to the cup that is shown in The Star card as well. Also the crocodile seems then to be sliding out of the water, which is supposed to depict the dangerous side of the emotions (water - cups).

The sword is part of the spiral design that circles the Fool, it is directly in front of him and has a caduceus in the handle of the sword - it is curved as part of the spiral just before you see the butterfly.

It took me a while to figure out the cup as well but once I saw it - ah ha ha! :)

Cheers
CreativeFire

InvisibleSoul

Ah!
I did not notice the pointed edge of the sword by the butterfly!
Sneaky sneaky! :p

Thanks so much!

What do we think about the rose behind the crocodile's ear?
That the dangerous can appear charming and beautiful?

He has the bull horns also, but a pig's nose!
Greed for the new experiences and knowledge, the same his wide eyes are taking in everything he can?

I really like the spirit light shining down on his head too! :)

morandia

Amchakuaton said:
Question: What/who do you think the two children might be? I think the fool may have given birth to them... i.e. the nothing (O) birthing duality? 0 =2? [/B]

The fool usually shows the beginning of a journey, and the end of the journey just completed (aka the spiral path). maybe the two children are the beginning of the new journey - both male and female aspects of the fool in what he has learned on his previous trip up the spiral..... ? thoughts?

linabeet

The animals and other symbols -

The 2nd swirl has 4 symbols resting upon it as ways to giving birth to new ways of health and healing (the caudecei, the winged serpants facing each other) birth to new ways of transforming (the butterfly); birth to new ways of setting limits to vulture-like people and situations (the vulture);and birth to new ways of being vompassionate with one's vulnerabilities and sensitivities (the dove).....the Egyptian Crocodile God, Souchos. At one point in Egypt crocodiles were thought of as oracles and embalmed when dead...represents the power to give birth to
creative vision inour work and creativity.
The fool represents the ecstatic adventure of growing and unfolding in out own journey of the hero and heroine (the flowers between his legs in their different stages of growth and unfoldment).

--from The Tarot Handbook by Angeles Arrien

The flower and sun belt seen more vulvic than phallic to me. The flowers look like ovaries and womb shape. Another interesting thing she says about the fool is pointing out that both fool and magician can't be growth numbers, the tarot life path numerology business, that thier excstatic experiences are encorporated into all of our lives all the time. I hadn't realized that.

I want to know more about the tiger. Why does he not notice it biting his leg? The rws fool seems like he would notice that. I would. Guess I'm not very foolish.

linabeet

more bits

I found more about the tiger in the old forum thread -

--------------------------
The fourth spiral holds the crocodile and tiger. The crocodile initiating creative career development and the unfolding of that ability by the rose he is wearing. The tiger indicates fear. Note the tiger is biting at the leg of the Fool but he seems somehow oblivious to it's presence. It has lost it's power over him because he pays it no mind remaining focused on his goal ahead as he stares out from the card.
-------------------------

Someone also said the flower is in the shape of the rune for the card.