The Key to the Kingdom

autumnsdaughter

I just picked up The Key to the Kingdom at my local Half Price Book Store- and they are gorgeous! I don't know if they are exactly meant to be an oracle- but they will work really well as that. Basically it is just a deck of playing cards, but each card has been connected with a nursery rhyme, and has been painted to reflect that. The art is vivid and fascinating. It reminds me quite a bit of the Mystical Lenormand. The images are sometimes creepy, sometimes whimsical, and sometimes just plain odd- but in a good way!

If you have a Half Price Books near you, see if they have this- it was $6 for me- a great price on such an interesting deck!

.traveller.

Those are REALLY cute cards. *scowls* I want :(

cardlady22

I love this set! My favorites are the

Ten of Spades- polywogs
Five of Diamonds- nestlings gaping mouths
Eight of Spades- octopus writer
Four of Diamonds- cat eyes goldfish
Joker- spider & fly

Bernice

I love the images in this deck.

But unfortunately my cards are 'sticky' - impossible to shuffle.
I've tried fine baby talcum powder (like fanning powder), but there's only a very slight improvement.

Disappointed....

Bee

P.S: I also have the book. The cards depict rhymes, mainly old ones.

poivre

I had this deck at one time and found the
pictures, too busy for my type of deck. :confused:
I know...no imagination! :D on my part.

ros
:)

Bernice

Update:

Having packed this deck away just barely coated with fanning powder, I got them out again. The handling is a lot easier now - but could still be better.

As I'm able to shuffle them reasonably well now, I've started to attempt reading with them. There's a three-fold choice! They can be read as playing cards, or according to the rhymes, or according to the images. Or...... some blend of all three if anyone is up to it.

Posted by cardlady22:
"I love this set! My favorites are the

Ten of Spades- polywogs
Five of Diamonds- nestlings gaping mouths
Eight of Spades- octopus writer
Four of Diamonds- cat eyes goldfish
Joker- spider & fly"

I had to look twice at the 5 diamonds before I realised the emblems (diamonds) were open mouths! This deck really makes you push beyond all usual ideas about what a card may mean.

I've chosen to go primarily with the rhymes, and now have the meanings listed up to the courts. Tried out some 3 card spreads. Looking good so far!

Bee :)

Aerin

If you can get hold of the original edition of the deck then it isn't (or shouldn't be) sticky. The only thing is to check with sellers that the deck is in the package - I got stung by a marketplace seller and had to return the thing (which they described as "new" HAH!).

Bernice

Aerin said:
If you can get hold of the original edition of the deck then it isn't (or shouldn't be) sticky. The only thing is to check with sellers that the deck is in the package - I got stung by a marketplace seller and had to return the thing (which they described as "new" HAH!).
Aerin, is the original pack/deck dated - where you can see the date? I wonder if the ISBN is the same as the sticky cards. If I could get a copy with better cardstock (and afford it!), I would.

Thank you for that info.

Bernice

Been having trouble with the Queen of Spades:

"I am Queen Anne, of whom 'tis said,
I'm chiefly famed for being dead."

The image is an Alice in Wonderland type of creature, a Dodo(?).
The historical Queen Anne was the very last Queen of England, the very last Queen of Scotland, and the First Queen of the United Kingdom of Britain. As a Sovereign, she embodied both an end and a beginning. The earlier various lines of sucession were amalagmated in her.

I'm inclined to think that as a divinatory meaning this card might be interpreted as;

Important &/or established bench-mark. Commemorative monument. 'Set in stone' :))). Verifiable foundation(s). Of notability.