Circo Tarot by Tightrope Press in LA

treelet

I'd been watching this deck since the artist first started posting paintings for it on her instagram and got one of the last decks from the first printing (a bit sad because the second printing apparently will have borderless cardbacks.) These are just my initial impressions having received the deck today.

The deck itself is beautiful, one of the most beautiful I've seen from beginning to end. She decorated the USPS box, wrapped things with cute stickers, the hand-bound and hand-cut "zine" booklet was cute (fairly generic keywords, the booklet is definitely intended for newbies to tarot), the bag very sweet, and the little doggy doodle on the receipt a nice touch. Being from LA, everything has a lovely "LA vibe". The artist is only a couple miles from my family, so it was really like getting a little piece of home.

I agree with others about the shiny and slightly bendy cardstock. It's obviously nice quality and shuffles well, even though its slippery, and I understand why she went with the UV coating in order to maintain the fidelity of the art.

I love nearly every single card. They're all lovely to look at, the Cups suit is wonderful and by far my favorite, and the deck has a definite playful energy without seeming immature or irreverent. Meesa/Marisa (the artist) has a wonderful sense of color and texture and I love the pattern details on each of the cards and how one could interpret them within each scene, but even the more minimal cards (such as the Five of Pentacles) are thoughtful and well-rendered. Literally the only card I have any large issue with is the Ten of Pentacles as just a series of 100 banknotes with pentacles embedded in them. Kind of limiting as an interpretation, but I can get over it. I also think it was a mistake to have a recognizable actress like Rose McGowan as the Chariot, but it still works as a card.

In any case, I can't stop looking through this deck, it just begs to be admired. I'm excited to see how it will do in a reading since the definitions are RWS, but the imagery is only RWS-ish. I'm usually attracted to black-and-white decks, limited color palettes, and more earthy tones but this deck... it reminds me of all the best and most vibrant parts of Los Angeles and I love it.

The Happy Squirrel

I'd been watching this deck since the artist first started posting paintings for it on her instagram and got one of the last decks from the first printing (a bit sad because the second printing apparently will have borderless cardbacks.) These are just my initial impressions having received the deck today.

The deck itself is beautiful, one of the most beautiful I've seen from beginning to end. She decorated the USPS box, wrapped things with cute stickers, the hand-bound and hand-cut "zine" booklet was cute (fairly generic keywords, the booklet is definitely intended for newbies to tarot), the bag very sweet, and the little doggy doodle on the receipt a nice touch. Being from LA, everything has a lovely "LA vibe". The artist is only a couple miles from my family, so it was really like getting a little piece of home.

I agree with others about the shiny and slightly bendy cardstock. It's obviously nice quality and shuffles well, even though its slippery, and I understand why she went with the UV coating in order to maintain the fidelity of the art.

I love nearly every single card. They're all lovely to look at, the Cups suit is wonderful and by far my favorite, and the deck has a definite playful energy without seeming immature or irreverent. Meesa/Marisa (the artist) has a wonderful sense of color and texture and I love the pattern details on each of the cards and how one could interpret them within each scene, but even the more minimal cards (such as the Five of Pentacles) are thoughtful and well-rendered. Literally the only card I have any large issue with is the Ten of Pentacles as just a series of 100 banknotes with pentacles embedded in them. Kind of limiting as an interpretation, but I can get over it. I also think it was a mistake to have a recognizable actress like Rose McGowan as the Chariot, but it still works as a card.

In any case, I can't stop looking through this deck, it just begs to be admired. I'm excited to see how it will do in a reading since the definitions are RWS, but the imagery is only RWS-ish. I'm usually attracted to black-and-white decks, limited color palettes, and more earthy tones but this deck... it reminds me of all the best and most vibrant parts of Los Angeles and I love it.

Oooooh the second printing will have borderless card backs? Drats. I wonder if I should get another deck [emoji15]

As for the Chariot card, I can't see Rose McGowan in her at all but it is good to know! Someone thinks Chariot looks like Michael Jackson [emoji16]

treelet

Oooooh the second printing will have borderless card backs? Drats. I wonder if I should get another deck [emoji15]

As for the Chariot card, I can't see Rose McGowan in her at all but it is good to know! Someone thinks Chariot looks like Michael Jackson [emoji16]

It is indeed Rose McGowan: https://instagram.com/p/7G2E5nt3FS/?taken-by=tightropepress

To me, it looks like her (https://instagram.com/p/8EppnLgYrJ/?taken-by=rosemcgowan), and it's a little distracting. I have no idea how people see Michael Jackson, but that's the fun of art, I suppose.

I was really disappointed to hear the 2nd printing has borderless backs considering this initial run was supposed to be a "limited edition" and that's why my partner jumped on it despite the expense. Can't be helped though.

The Happy Squirrel

It is indeed Rose McGowan: https://instagram.com/p/7G2E5nt3FS/?taken-by=tightropepress

To me, it looks like her (https://instagram.com/p/8EppnLgYrJ/?taken-by=rosemcgowan), and it's a little distracting. I have no idea how people see Michael Jackson, but that's the fun of art, I suppose.

I was really disappointed to hear the 2nd printing has borderless backs considering this initial run was supposed to be a "limited edition" and that's why my partner jumped on it despite the expense. Can't be helped though.

Thanks for those links!

As for the borderless upcoming backs: Yeah indeed. It is tricky isn't it. Sometimes he first edition is the best. And then there are those decks that improved in subsequent printing. Part of the fun to grab what be like best I suppose. I bought two of the first run so I am a bit bummed too because I am certainly not going to get a third deck!!

Thanks for letting us know!

The Happy Squirrel

Mine arrived today :) Just over a week to get to New Zealand. The deck is smooth to touch and soft to shuffle. I love it :)

lightpers

I was enabled by WildMoonTarot and Ethony's videos in Youtube.

Has anyone already recieved the newest pre-ordered batch?

It seems the new batch has borderless backs.

Sadly my country is excluded from country options, i already emailed her today, hope to get good response :)

aquestionmark

I've been shuffling through this deck tonight, been having a kinda rough time with insomnia and depression the past few weeks and I've realized how healing this deck feels for me.

I couldn't quite put a finger on why but the way the cards silently shuffle through my hands and the softness of the pastel world playing out across each spread bring a comfort to the pit of my swirling stomach.

The Three of wands... A series of trapeze across the sky, below is the ground and the swirling water of the ocean where one goes to be immersed in the darkness of the water where one may not find the bottom... while from the sky hangs another alternative, offering escape but not without effort, who knows where the route leads but it may be worth a shot... there are treasures to be uncovered in the swirling waters if one can see clear enough to find them but one cannot swim for long before fatigue and cold begins to set in and it is impossible to breathe underwater after all..

Anyone else been working with this deck? How has it been for you?

lightpers

Love this deck totally, i think the artworks feels sassy and energetic, i get funky readings with this deck!

rylla

Good news for those who wanted this deck but it got sold out (like me :)) I emailed Melissa and she said she is going to take pre-orders at the end of this month or early April. :thumbsup:

jaimiequick

New Kickstarter for Circo Tarot: April 2016

Looks like they are already sold out of their first batch since I visited the page last. The order page now says "pre-order" and shipping in early Nov.

Great news (and there's a separate thread on AT regarding it)! There's a Kickstarter for a second edition of this wonderful deck going on right now! I'm sure this edition will disappear as quickly as the last one . . .

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...olorful-illustrative-version-o?ref=nav_search