Completed - New Playing Card System!!

Joermit

Hello, all!

Well, after writing, and re-writing, and then re-writing some more, I've finally come up with a good draft of my complete playing card system, including the face cards... please let me know what you think... it was very, very tricky to actually simply explain the approach I like to take with the face cards and I've tinkered and played with the wording for a good two weeks now... I would love to have any constructive criticism, insights, suggestions, or comments please! It will only help to make this oracle more accessable and easy to learn, as well as helpful as a divinatory tool... Here it is...It's long, so, please bear with the length!

Divination with Playing Cards

Playing cards offer us an easy to access means to gain insights, knowledge, advice, and clarity. Though it can't be accurately ascertained as to their true origins, as an oracle, our common playing cards have a wonderful history of use in divination. There are many systems and methods of card reading, and one is not necessarily any better than another. What's important, as with any form of divination, is to create a personal, intuitive connection with your tool, be they cards, runes, stones, or bones...

Presented here is a simple, numerological based system for divining with playing cards. Again, the information presented here is just a suggestion of possible uses--feel free to alter any card meanings, try new spreads, add cards, take cards away, and/or explore other systems (see links pages). Find what works for you! Flexibility and simplicity is the beauty of playing cards!

The system is a two part one... The first section provides a comprehensive and usable oracle and is based upon forty cards, those numbered ace through ten. The second half is optional. There, the face cards--jacks, queens, and kings are added.

For those learning card based divination, face cards, also known are court cards, are often tricky to master. This second half of the system is offered for those who prefer to work with a full deck (no pun intended!) It's important to note, that there are several wonderful card reading systems that do not use the full deck of fifty-two. The Lenormand system, based upon the famous French fortune-teller Anne Marie Lenormand, only uses thirty-six cards. There is also an English method that uses thirty-two, and a Spanish method that also uses forty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To start with, examine the four suits of your deck... For this system, the suits shall have the following correspondences:

Diamonds are the rock-solid element of earth and the season of winter... these cards reflect things which we value, both ethically and materially... our finances and physical body... they are a fairly neutral suit... and when looking at timing, this suit is slowest in manifesting...

Hearts are the most favorable cards in the deck... they are the element of water and as such flow with ease... they are the season of summer… they represent our emotions, love, and spirituality…

Cubs are a neutral suit representing the element of fire and the season of spring... quicker than hearts and diamonds, clubs portray our energy, actions, and creative ventures--our goals, passions, and ambitions...

Spades are the quickest of the suits and are assigned the element of air and the season of fall... here you'll find thoughts, ideas, challenges, and obstacles... though not necessarily "bad" cards, spades are somewhat difficult to experience, but through this difficulty we learn much!

The next step is to assign a meaning to each card, blending its suit meaning and its numerological associations... There are many approaches to numerology and this system offers just one view. Below you will find the meanings of individual numbers (ace through ten) and a suggestion of how that manifests in each suit. Keep in mind, these meanings need not be locked or too rigid. Make room for intuition! When looking at cards, go with your gut. Imagine what it would feel like to experience each card. Forming a personal connection with your tool aids in both accuracy and insight.

Aces are unique individuals and new beginnings

diamonds - a valuable opportunity
hearts - female (intuition, feelings, love, passivity)
clubs - male (knowledge, skill, action, creation, passion, exuberance)
spades – a major decision, great clarity and understanding, new
Beginning, elimination

Twos deal with decisions and partnerships

diamonds – agreement, compromise, documents, correspondences
hearts - a relationship, love shared
clubs - potential, expansion
spades – indecision, confusion, separation

Threes emphasize the three c's: creation, cooperation, and communication

diamonds - support, teamwork, communication
hearts - friendships, creativity
clubs - manifestation, ingenuity, karma
spades - arguments, disagreements

Fours are the solid and sturdy things in life which keep us grounded and calm

diamonds – nature, work, security, practicality, common sense
hearts – home, tranquility, church, spirituality
clubs - solid foundations, feeling good, enthused, or excited
spades – truth, integrity, law, and order

Fives are unstable and unpredictable and emphasize the need for freedom

diamonds - financial setbacks, health concerns
hearts - anger, jealousy, depression, sadness
clubs - hassles and delays, exhaustion
spades – impulsiveness, restrictions, stress, anxiety

Sixes offer harmony and movement/direction along our paths

diamonds - generosity, gifts, blessings
hearts – improvements, hope, inspiration, movement toward happiness
clubs - good news, movement toward a goal, vitality
spades - difficult news, heading in the wrong direction

Sevens caution us to learn to shed light on secrets and mysteries

diamonds - study and learning, diligence
hearts – retreat, introspection, intuition
clubs - cautiousness, deliberateness
spades - deceit, lies, and/or manipulation

Eights speak of power and inner-strength

diamonds – hard work, perseverance, priorities
hearts – compassion, patience, healing
clubs – determination, resolve, defense
spades – fears, doubts, over-thinking

Nines are attainment and reflection on what we've attained

diamonds – luxury, abundance, wealth, charity
hearts – fulfillment, happiness, and joy
clubs – recognition, reward, accomplishment, pride
spades – regret, disappointment, reevaluation, worry

Tens represent completion and transformation

diamonds – travel, journeys
hearts – family, children
clubs – rest, recuperation, planning for what’s next
spades – death and endings

** Optional Face Cards **

The twelve face cards in a playing deck can be a bit tricky to understand at first. There are many way to look at them in a divinatory sense. Some methods utilize face cards as people with distinctive coloring of skin and hair. Other methods look at these cards as personality traits and situational influences. The intention of this system is to keep things as user-friendly and straight-forward as possible, while still retaining the benefits of an accurate and insightful oracle. In keeping with this theme, face cards need be viewed as clusters (basically their suits) of guiding energies. Just like the numbered cards were broken down combining suit and number, here too the face cards shall be so explained, just slightly differently…

Face cards shall be considered guiding energies that may or may not manifest as an actual person. If when they fall in a spread, a person with their qualities does not come to mind, simply look at them as guides—offering advice and guidance on ways to approach a situation or issue. When not a person, you might think of them as your angels, spirit guides, higher-self, etc… whatever works for you!

Each face card will have a keyword to describe their energies—again this could be an actual person or simply a guiding influence.

First let us look at each of the three kinds of face cards—Jacks, Queens, and Kings…

Jacks are the younger, more inexperienced energies that could relate to either a male or female. They are innocent and naïve in a sense, looking at things through a lens of wonder, and learning thing through experience.

Queens are the more mature female energies of feelings and receptivity. They share and assist, offering guidance learned through their experiences and intuition.

Kings are the male manifestations of leadership and control. They’ve accomplished and now guide with an air of authority and wisdom.

Now, when considering the suits in combinations with meanings of individual face cards, some easy associations can be made…

Diamond face cards are those whom are related to things we value or to our health… As people they are grounded and practical, as guides they encourage us to make sure we too are being grounded and sensible

Heart face cards might be those connected to us in an emotional way—someone whom we love and care about or who loves and cares about us. As people they are emotional, intuitive, and caring, as guides they urge us to consider that approach in whatever issue we’ve asked about.

Clubs are those who are related to our goals and ambitions—helpers (or hindrances if negatively aspected) who push us to find success. As people they are enthusiastic and ambitious, as guides they offer their passion and exuberance as an energy we may consider utilizing for our benefit

Spades could be those who are connected with our ideas or perhaps even our challenges—they are our “teachers” who challenge us in various ways. As people, well, they can be challenging sort, often aloof or even manipulative, as guides, they caution us to learn and to live with integrity and ethics…

So… to further expand upon this, consider the following

Jacks

Diamonds – “The Student” A cautious, studious energy that takes things slowly and methodically, all the while learning
Hearts – “The Romantic” A loving and idealistic sort that follows the heart, wherever it may lead
Clubs – “The Adventurer” A fun-loving, highly energized spirit that pursues new ventures with passion and vitality
Spades – “The Trickster” A sly and aloof energy that is often impatient and instinctive

Queens

Diamonds – “The Nurturer” This earthy spirit is in tune with nature and the earth and urges us to take care of ourselves first and foremost, so we may then assist others
Hearts – “The Psychic” This mystical figure encourages us to trust our intuition and approach things based upon what we’re feeling, rather than thinking
Clubs – “The Firecracker” This energy knows what it wants and goes after it whole-heartedly, “find comfort in your own skin and assert yourself” is the message this queen brings forth
Spades – “The Widow” This lady practices detachment and can seem cold and uncaring, she urges to rise above challenges and take things with an air of grace

Kings

Diamonds – “The Provider” Taking care of business is the priority of this character. He is in control of his body and finances and asserts the most sensible and business-like approach to all endeavors.
Hearts – “The Sage” This loving, wise King is heart-felt first and foremost. Good intentions are all he knows. There to help, he urges us to be in control of our emotions, so they are not in control of us
Clubs – “The Leader” The epitome of power and authority, this guy takes charge and get thing done and urges you to do the same
Spades – “The Judge” This highly intellectual energy assesses a situation and logically, and judiciously renders his judgment. Discernment is his priority and he wastes no time or energy in eliminating that which doesn’t serve his highest and best good. He hopes you do the same

There you have a simple, easily accessible oracle to use for guidance…

Simply take your cards in your hands, shuffle them in any way you like, and lay them before you however you feel appropriate. Setting an intention for guidance before laying the cards greatly helps you to focus your attention on the message being brought forth.

Any spread (pattern of laid out cards) may be used. This system works very well when cards are paired together and read in a single position. For example, in a basic three-position past – present – future spread, use six cards, two for each position. This allows the cards to compliment each other and offer more specifics and information.

Again, utilize your intuition while working with the cards. Allow the spread to “talk” to you. What do you feel from the cards? Are you drawn to a particular card or position? Where do your thoughts drift when considering the meanings or message? Close your eyes and pay attention to your feelings! Read between cards… Form a story… If you decide to use playing cards as a tool for guidance, use them in a way which works for you! Just do so in a respectful and appreciative way, both of yourself and in the spirit of touching a bit of the divine.

Phoenix Rising

Great Job Joermit...you've planned it out very well indeed.
Have you got example readings on your website? Maybe you can offer a few on here, and use them for feedback on the site.
You'll be the master of your own cartomancy system, for years to come!!

Joermit

Hey, PR...

Thanks so much for the kind words... I will be including some sample readings and spreads on the site... but I will take that on in a week or so... just relieved to get this part done... also gonna give some advice on card combinations, story weaving, etc... this is quite a project and once I lay the groundwork down, then I'm gonna be asking for any articles and such people might want to contribute... it's really very exciting... there so many people who want to learn about divination and it's played such an important role in my life over the past several years that I really just want to create a good learning tool.... and the work I've done on this system, is the closest I've managed to get to my hodgepodgey way, with some tweaks of course so the structure is understandable... please don't hold back if you have any suggestions or find something that doesn't work... and I'd love to get some responses of those who have never worked with playing cards before as to their thoughts... thanks all! I will keep you updated on the process!!

Joey

Phoenix Rising

The hardest thing of any oracle is making a sentence out of the cards. This is probably the main area in which alot of thought will have to go into it.
The reason I like PP's reading court card technique, you know exactly who's thinking what, and the message between you and the court card.

Sometimes a single card is just a whisper, especially if one of the cards is a neutral card.

Therefore I look forward to seeing how you can group cards together.

Joermit

Hey, PR...

good thoughts... when I read PCs.. I read cards in combos...and it really works with em... that's much different that the trios..

I love how you talked about the message of a card just may be a whisper...lol...

my site with be www.divinewhispers.com

the quote in my signature has long fascinated me and it's something I something reflect upon to see if I'm listening... and it's a good description of what I feel divination is... seeking to hear the whispers of the divine...

Joey

Phoenix Rising

I love how you talked about the message of a card just may be a whisper...lol...

my site with be www.divinewhispers.com

the quote in my signature has long fascinated me and it's something I something reflect upon to see if I'm listening... and it's a good description of what I feel divination is... seeking to hear the whispers of the divine...

Joey

Great name!! Yes..and if we can hear those whispers from the sub-conscious, then it may start to holler a little louder!! Intuition!!
You can really start to add to your website..selling products..then one day you may write a book or e-book you could sell.

Tansey Ella

edited

Lee

Excellent, Joey! You did a great job explaining the Courts.

I have just two little suggestions:

a) You might want to mention that if a Court card does represent a person in a reading, the gender of the person isn't restricted to the gender of the card (unless you don't agree, of course).

b) I think you should develop a short spread (the six-card past, present, future, if you like) and present it as *the* spread for this method. I know you want to encourage people to experiment with different things, but I feel that people, especially beginners, like to feel that there is a solid structure and path that they're following. And then of course you can say that after practicing with that spread for a while, they should feel free to experiment with other spreads.

-- Lee

Horace

Hi Joey
I've been waiting for you to complete the system! Ever since Little Buddha has been trying this out, I've been lurking in the shadows reading all you guys' advice to him.

Your course will be my only background in playing card reading. I bring no baggage from other methods. I haven't even been to any other website on cartomancy. So my New Year's resolution in March, will be learning playing card reading from your method. I'm so excited for something new! Thank You Hh

Lee

You know, I may try something I've never done before -- writing Joey's meanings on a deck of cards. At 45 years old, I find my brain cells aren't looking forward to memorizing things as much as they used to...

-- Lee