Playing Card Oracles; any advice for first timer?

Quester

I got the cards awhile ago...but it took a little while to get the book. I am looking forward to building a relationship with this deck. The book looks like it is filled with a lot of very useful information that is presented in a very understandable way.

Le Fanu

Thanks for the tips. I just knew 6HD that Strange and Norrell would be right up your street. And ( as I see from another thread; Ann Radcliffe! ) I comment on these coz I also love them. I do get good vibes from the Playing Card Oracles. I just know Im going to bond well with this deck.

I was saying to Le Pendu earlier, it´s a way of loosening up, away from tarot, a system Im not familiar with, a new system and Im just really loving being "unfettered" by excessive meaning. Of not dwelling on textual meaning, what the LWB or "instructions" say. Im training intuition. These cards just speak voloumes, and I don´t have all those layers of symbolism and learned stuff which I have with tarot which Ive been accumulating over the last 25 years. I find this deck hugely liberating. Of course I love tarot and its still central, but I never knew how liberating it is to float free with other systems and have no background to anchor us. Just put out feelers, and FEEL..

(but at some point I will get the book. For the moment, Im having a great time)

I´ll check out your review

6 Haunted Days

Le Fanu said:
Thanks for the tips. I just knew 6HD that Strange and Norrell would be right up your street. And ( as I see from another thread; Ann Radcliffe! ) I comment on these coz I also love them. I do get good vibes from the Playing Card Oracles. I just know Im going to bond well with this deck.

I was saying to Le Pendu earlier, it´s a way of loosening up, away from tarot, a system Im not familiar with, a new system and Im just really loving being "unfettered" by excessive meaning. Of not dwelling on textual meaning, what the LWB or "instructions" say. Im training intuition. These cards just speak voloumes, and I don´t have all those layers of symbolism and learned stuff which I have with tarot which Ive been accumulating over the last 25 years. I find this deck hugely liberating. Of course I love tarot and its still central, but I never knew how liberating it is to float free with other systems and have no background to anchor us. Just put out feelers, and FEEL..

(but at some point I will get the book. For the moment, Im having a great time)

I´ll check out your review

Yes, it is very liberating and freeing isn't it? It's wonderful to break free from Tarot, no matter how much we love it, once in awhile and get a deck that speaks to us and has no heavy duty baggage! The cards in this deck themselves have such intense evocative images, I love the 5, 9 and of Spades....oh the ace too. And ....shoot just realized I adore about every image in this deck! Too many to list.

And with your ID name, I knew you had to be a rabid fan of that genre like me. BTW Le Fanu is a huuuuuge favourite of mine, he's an obsession of mine! Did you know that on Places upcoming Vampire Tarot Le Fanu is the Knight of Holy Waters?! What great taste you have. })

Le Fanu

Of course Le Fanu is - after MR James - probably my favourite Victorian ghost writer. But best of all are the TRUE Victorian ghost stories! And of course the name Le Fanu just sounds - to me anyway - so odd and spooky! Quite apart from what he wrote about; that monkey in Green Tea; SO disturbing! Fascinating to discover Le Fanu is making an appearance in a tarot deck!

I adore this deck. I love the 2 and 3 of clubs, and also 8 of hearts. So many other wonderful ones. Such an atmospheric deck. Great size, great feel. I love the wind cards; they give a kind of "current" to a reading. Atmospheres entering our lives. As if we are being indeed "blown" by different energies

Just feeling so free of baggage!

lark

I think the Playing Card Oracles would make a wonderful ODW study...I don't think you would ever get bored with it.
I'm toying with the idea myself for a summer ODW study.

Diorbhail

6 Haunted Days said:
Yes, it is very liberating and freeing isn't it? It's wonderful to break free from Tarot, no matter how much we love it, once in awhile and get a deck that speaks to us and has no heavy duty baggage!

That's exactly how I feel! I absolutely love Tarot and always will, but off and on I have felt the urge to try reading with playing cards and actually started to have a go using the Hedgewitchery system mentioned on another thread. I quite liked that but like many things in my life, fell by the wayside. However I thought I'd give it a go again and today these wonderful cards arrived! I have a modest tarot collection which I enjoy inmmensely but a few of those decks actually provoke a physical reation - a thrill running through me when I first looked at them. Do you know what I mean? And this is how it was this morning when I looked at these cards. I'm very excited to study them in depth! I bought the kit so I have the book also. House is a mess :( - daughter had friends over so was tripping over various bodies this morning :bugeyed: -so I really MUST clear up today but this evening I shall begin! :)

Le Fanu

Glad youve got this deck. It really is quite extraordinary. Free of all baggage, &c. Im sure youll enjoy it. I feel that the starting point of each card is just ripe for intuitive reading. The LWB gives JUST enough to be a springboard. And then you´re off! My only complaint - but I.ll get used to it is that the court cards are - as ever - a little less forthcoming than the rest of the deck. Just like tarot really. I think court cards are always doomed to be more difficult, but the pips here say so much anyway, so I know that soon, with pracice, I´ll get the hang of them.

Ive also seen the hedgewitchery thread, but I´ll come clean here; I have no idea what hedgewitchery is. Tried to discover in vain.. The Hedgewitchery system? What on earth is it? A diet?;)

Diorbhail

I just meant the system of reading playing cards explained in this site

www.hedgewytchery.com

Diet - :shhh: who mentioned that word? You must be psychic! How did you kinow I was about to cave in and eat some chocolate with my cup of tea. :D:

Teacups

ummm, ok... notice Amazon has a listing for two books that go with this set, any difference except publishing dates? is one better than the other, or are they the same...or...? one is 2005 and the other 2006 (I think) anyone know the reason for (apparently) two versions of the book?

lark

asphodel said:
ummm, ok... notice Amazon has a listing for two books that go with this set, any difference except publishing dates? is one better than the other, or are they the same...or...? one is 2005 and the other 2006 (I think) anyone know the reason for (apparently) two versions of the book?
The one that says 2006 is the deck by itself $8.50....and the one that says 2005 is the book by itself $19.95....and then there is the set for $22.76.