The Hermit, 9 of cups for self image

septimus

These came up in a 3 card spread for a friend of mine, modifying her indicator. To me, they are almost the same, The Hermit as a solitary and righteous individual on her own (sometimes lonely) path, while 9 of cups as a prosperous and self confident individual, surrounded by the benefits of her actions...

But there must be more of a message here than that, I think. What do you think?

flipperjane

These came up in a 3 card spread for a friend of mine, modifying her indicator. To me, they are almost the same, The Hermit as a solitary and righteous individual on her own (sometimes lonely) path, while 9 of cups as a prosperous and self confident individual, surrounded by the benefits of her actions...

The Hemit indicates a withdrawing from the outside world for some calm soul searching. With the isolation comes great clarity. Away from the distractions of the outer world you can go deeply with in and discover new depths. It is a time of retreat, not a time to make important decisions - and it doesn't matter about abandoning these decisions for the time being - it's the right thing to do. The card can also indicate a teacher, counsellor or wise person or even an inner guide.

With the 9 of Cups I see a person who has all their dreams come true. They have everything and are very happy with it. It's possible that they might be lonely though - an empty place at their lavish table. The Hermit is not lonely. Spiritually this card can indicate stagnation. The overindulgence and tenancy for laziness means you might not appreciate all your experiences. Generally though the card suggests a full and rewarding life with lots of luck. It is sometimes called the 'wish card'.
This card indicates that life is treating you well and you easily handle obstacles. Contentment.

septimus

The Hemit indicates a withdrawing from the outside world for some calm soul searching. With the isolation comes great clarity. Away from the distractions of the outer world you can go deeply with in and discover new depths. It is a time of retreat, not a time to make important decisions - and it doesn't matter about abandoning these decisions for the time being - it's the right thing to do. The card can also indicate a teacher, counsellor or wise person or even an inner guide.

With the 9 of Cups I see a person who has all their dreams come true. They have everything and are very happy with it. It's possible that they might be lonely though - an empty place at their lavish table. The Hermit is not lonely. Spiritually this card can indicate stagnation. The overindulgence and tenancy for laziness means you might not appreciate all your experiences. Generally though the card suggests a full and rewarding life with lots of luck. It is sometimes called the 'wish card'.
This card indicates that life is treating you well and you easily handle obstacles. Contentment.

So perhaps its a progression in her life. Thanks!

rwcarter

Self-image? Someone who is alone (Hermit - NOT lonely) and happy (9C). Come to think of it that could describe my self-image. :)

Rodney

IndigoWaves

Yes, I see similarities between these two cards, as well. Since you're friends with this person, it might be helpful to remember that her "Self image" cards could be very different from what you'd expect to see -- even if you are really close, and even if she professes to have miserably low self-esteem, etc... The 9C here suggests someone very satisfied with him/herself, to the point of smugness. He doesn't have all 10 of the Cups, but he feels like he's got the ones that matter. Folded arms look like he's not into sharing, so, "Yay, Me!" he might think, leaning back to gloat as others admire his goods.

Combine this with the "above it all" contentedness of the Hermit, gazing down at (in his opinion, perhaps) the 'lesser', bumbling humans. He is perfectly at home with solitude and following his own path... So maybe your friend sees herself (accurately or not) as a beacon of valuable knowledge that others inevitably feel drawn to and should heed. She may also be most happy when admired from afar as it lets her avoid getting too deeply involved or letting others "in" to see her flaws... And she might have amassed a collection of unrequited lover's hearts/Cups to enjoy if she ever feels in doubt.

septimus

Yes, I see similarities between these two cards, as well. Since you're friends with this person, it might be helpful to remember that her "Self image" cards could be very different from what you'd expect to see -- even if you are really close, and even if she professes to have miserably low self-esteem, etc... The 9C here suggests someone very satisfied with him/herself, to the point of smugness. He doesn't have all 10 of the Cups, but he feels like he's got the ones that matter. Folded arms look like he's not into sharing, so, "Yay, Me!" he might think, leaning back to gloat as others admire his goods.

Combine this with the "above it all" contentedness of the Hermit, gazing down at (in his opinion, perhaps) the 'lesser', bumbling humans. He is perfectly at home with solitude and following his own path... So maybe your friend sees herself (accurately or not) as a beacon of valuable knowledge that others inevitably feel drawn to and should heed. She may also be most happy when admired from afar as it lets her avoid getting too deeply involved or letting others "in" to see her flaws... And she might have amassed a collection of unrequited lover's hearts/Cups to enjoy if she ever feels in doubt.

Actually, that describes her pretty well.

septimus

Self-image? Someone who is alone (Hermit - NOT lonely) and happy (9C). Come to think of it that could describe my self-image. :)

Rodney

Yes, LOL, and mine as well.....