How do you store your decks?

Melisandre

I have a small but growing collection of decks. Up until now they've been sort of scattered around my bedroom, most of them still in the boxes they came in. I recently ordered some new tarot bags (yay!), which got me thinking that I need a better organizational system. I don't have a lot of space but I still need my decks to be accessible.

I started thinking about baskets and boxes, etc.... And THEN I started wondering how others here at AT organize and store their decks.

Sooo, how do YOU store your collection?

cardlady22

Some of mine are on a regular "tower" bookshelf. Others are in large Priority Mail boxes, or sturdy shoe boxes. A few are in the large laundry/toy tubs. I keep the silica gel packets in and among them.

Cassandra022

I store all my decks in cheap black velveteen drawstring bags. most double-bagged, with an internal cheap black organza bag within teh velveteen one. I've stitched at least half if not a bit more of them really simply with different colored thread so that I can tell which deck is in what. Starting to transition at least some of my favorite decks to nicer, fancier/sturdier bags from etsy or the like. just ordered three for now, more later when i have more money. but yeah bags, black or mostly-black in the case of the nicer bags.

i really really dislike the idea of storing decks in their boxes, personally. first thing i do is chuck the box in a drawer and give them a new bag home, lol. plus i am a mad trimmer so many wouldnt fit properly in their box anyway xD

I keep the lot in one of those re-usable whole foods tote bags. They used to all be on a nice shelf on my bookcase, but after a fire on my floor and other random life chaos i decided that keeping them in a bag so i could grab the lot in case of emergency is better.

Morwenna

Currently, 3 ways:

In a small wooden chest, on end, with a few lying flat on top (about 20);
In a small canvas tote, along with other divination materials--and some inside that in a little woolen bag (total about 8 or 10)
On a bookshelf (4 right now--those with kit-size boxes; a fifth got accidentally sent to storage)

They're all in their original boxes, unless the boxes do not exist, in which case they're wrapped in small scarves (3 or 4), and in one case a knitted bag.

kalliope

My decks were on my bookshelves, piling up everywhere and looking messy. Some were in their boxes, some in bags. I recently went to Target and got three baskets to put on my shelves to hold them. I'm much happier with the setup now.

Attachments

• TarotBaskets.jpg
    TarotBaskets.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 266

gregory

There are many threads... I quote myself from one of them...

NOT in airtight plastic. Condensation... :( This also applies to getting one of those under bed boxes they suggest for sheets etc, to keep a lot in - if you do - punch holes in it.

AWAY FROM MICE. OK there was no damage - but my heart stopped briefly when I saw their tiny turds in one of my drawers :bugeyed: - which are now protected with aluminium screening..

The Walgreen index card boxes are good. So are cheap wooden boxes from dollar stores - and you can customise them.

In terms of What Is Correct - whatever you like. Even plastic - if you LIKE them getting mildewy !

Almost all of mine are in the boxes they came in, in drawers or (for kits) on shelves. For mobile decks - someone here found a GREAT cosmetics case with compartments - there are photos here somewhere. It looked really good. If rather PINK, as I recall :D

Here are the full and ghastly details - except that I have added another chest of drawers and a tallboy since then. Pix are here !
I keep track with a database.

Asbestos Mango

Most of my decks are wrapped in colored cotton bandannas and arranged attractively in a nice basket on top of my desk hutch.

Tiny Universal Waite is scattered face down in a seashell, so I can do a "card of the day" draw.

The Quantum, Quantum 2.0 and Xultun are all in very nice sturdy boxes with lids, and they are displayed on my bookshelf.

And can I just say, bandannas rock as "Tarot clothes" since they can double as spread cloths :)