The Easiest Way to Learn Tarot -Ever!

Richard

Strange thread. It sort of wobbles this way and that. I have used RWS almost exclusively for the past 40+ years, and I'm still a novice. If there is an easier way to learn it, this sounds like a good deal, but I think I will save my pennies until there is more feedback. Not everyone has the same interest in Tarot. For example, I seldom read for others, and when I do, it's for free, and I have an elaborate disclaimer about the future not being absolutely predictable. The mathematics of space-time and the uncertainty principle in quantum theory prove that events in the time-dimension are subject only to probability (a predictable degree of randomness), but never certainty.

ann823

I think if you're reading successfully you have the fundamentals even if you didn't get them in a structured or systematic way. I found this book to be invaluable, but I was quite new to tarot and was having a lot of trouble learning in the ways that most others seem to. I am what has been called a "divergent" learner in other things as well, and I think for some who are having problems learning it includes exercises that somehow teach skills most others get on their own. You might find some exercises or way of looking at things that you would find useful but (at best)it probably wouldn't be helpful for you to scrap what has worked for you and start over.

Tiddles

Dusty White does offer a lot for the purchase of the book. Even without the book, he does free podcasts and has YouTube videos. I think it's great that he gives so much free education. I didn't make it through the book as I had a hard time with some of the exercises, and sometimes I just got overwhelmed by it. I've been meaning to go back to it. I like his card interpretations, and the way he brings new, modern interpretations for the technological world of today. His approach is more of a real-world, practical one; you won't find him waxing poetically about levels of spiritual development, or the ”alchemical marriage of”, and I liked that about him. That said, the shots that he takes at Christianity were a total turn off for me. As if everyone who has an interest in Tarot is anti-Christian. Also, for me I wished it had been more straight forward, with less unnecessary chatter/humor. I do like his podcasts on reversals and the court cards for sure, and he knows a ton about RWS, and points out a lot of things I hadn't noticed in the artwork.

danieru_X

Just ordered my copy today. Can't wait to try it out.

jean bosco

I've read the reviews on amazon and far the most are completely enthusiastic about this book. Interesting. What is so different about this one and what makes it more valuable than other books?

Maybe I should buy it just to get a clue out of this. ;-)

(Note: Did an edit because I was afraid it could sound a little bit offensive...)

3ill.yazi

I've only heard the podcast -- I can't quite afford the book yet-- but what seems different is that he leans more on intuition, or a least integrates it more seamlessly with the traditional meanings. And he's refreshingly down to earth. And I like the idea of the games he comes up with to keep the tarot muscles flexed. It seems much more intensive and detailed than other intros. There are certainly other books with a workbook approach, but they seem to be more focused on personal reflection that reading for others. Still, I think either in the end will help.

I keep hoping I will find it on sale at some point...really want to pick it up. Both of them, actually.

jean bosco

Thanks!
Sounds refreshing, and down to earth is always a good thing. I'm also looking for a used copy...

3ill.yazi

I highly recommend the podcast.

ann823

One thing that makes this book different is that it really a series of well designed exercises and games that teach the skills of reading tarot. It teaches reading the cards, not reading about reading the cards. There are many good books by excellent authors who really know there stuff, but Dusty also seems to remember what it was like not having all that knowledge and provides the chance to learn those skills in a (relatively) painless way. Although the book is the "Easiest Way to learn Tarot-Ever" , it doesn't mean it's easy, he doesn't sugar coat it- to get good takes a lot of practice. While his approach may seem more "intuitive" much of this is because he believes the meanings are shown in the pictures. He uses the RWS in the book, but it could be used as well with other decks( Thoth, TDM) or an oracle, and he states this in his second book, which is as good or better than the first. I want to get his astrology book, its probably the only way I'll ever understand it- he can explain something difficult in a simpler way without dumbing it down.

3ill.yazi

Finally found a copy online ticked low enough for my comfort level. Will be able to report more details soon.