Where did the "LITERAL" meanings stem from?

DownUnderNZer

Been wondering this for a while.

I was introduced to the Lenormand 13 years ago in 2003, as in the "German" (Traditional), and "French"(Non Traditional) at the same time through the GT. I did not know I was learning two systems at the same time.

In 2009 I wanted something different, quicker, lesser cards and to answer any questions, so around 2010/2011 was when I got "The Secrets of the Lenormand" (Steinbach), but before this I did try smaller spreads and what have you with some trial and error. The GT to smaller spreads was no easy feat plus adapting to answering specific questions was a challenge.

Steinbach fine tuned it all really.

However, in nothing I've learnt over all these years have I ever seen, heard, or was told that cards like TREE mean TREE or GARDEN means GARDEN/LAWNS/GRASS etc. Not until recent times in AT actually.

I was listening to an old radio show between "Donnaleigh" and Melissa Hill" and "noticed" it in that talk show where Donnaleigh refers to something she thought quite LITERAL with the DOG and COFFIN.

Hill started learning the Lenormand in 2008 and in 2012 started teaching Donnaleigh which is mentioned in that broadcast.

There is one part in which Hill refers to ANCHOR as "weighted down" and I think Donnaleigh more or less refers to GARDEN as a lawn manicure, gardens etc. She would have only been learning the LENORMAND for 2 months at this point.

Is this where all these LITERAL meanings started?

DND :)

Barleywine

I think they must have started around the time of the "Philippe Lenormand Sheet" published shortly after Mlle. Lenormand's death.

Example: "No. 5. - A Tree, if distant from a Person, signifies good health; more trees of different cards together leave no doubt about the realization of all reasonable wishes."

Can't get much more literal than that, it seems to me. But of course it could have started in Germany earlier than that.

DownUnderNZer

But does it state a TREE is a TREE - I would think that is quite literal. Perhaps I have chosen the wrong word or term for what I am asking.

Garden is garden/ Dog is dog/ Snake is snake.

That is all new to me and what I am asking about.

I think they must have started around the time of the "Philippe Lenormand Sheet" published shortly after Mlle. Lenormand's death.

Example: "No. 5. - A Tree, if distant from a Person, signifies good health; more trees of different cards together leave no doubt about the realization of all reasonable wishes."

Can't get much more literal than that, it seems to me. But of course it could have started in Germany earlier than that.

Barleywine

But does it state a TREE is a TREE - I would think that is quite literal. Perhaps I have chosen the wrong word or term for what I am asking.

Garden is garden/ Dog is dog/ Snake is snake.

That is all new to me and what I am asking about.

Ah, now I understand. I think we can always take the Dog as a literal dog, which after all is a loyal and trusted friend. The Man and Woman are already literal. The rest would seem to be a mixed bag. It certainly does no harm, and might even be instructive. For example, Roads+Clouds+Tree+Coffin could literally mean running into a tree at a crossroad in the fog and winding up dead. Not that I would ever read it that way, of course.

DownUnderNZer

Would like to know where it stemmed from though.

I actually wonder if this "literal way" is a way of filling in the gaps when one cannot apply it to an everyday issue/scenario/question perhaps.

How will my day be?
Garden Sun.

Spending some time outside in the garden getting a bit of sun.

What should I know about Saturday?
Dog Home Anchor.

You will be with your dog at home all day.

From the radio show more or less:

How should I go about selling my house? (Or what is the best way).
Anchor Tree ??? Garden Child (Either TOWER or HOME was in the middle).

Anchor was at one point referred to as "weighted down".
Tree I think was looked at as roots more or less.
Garden was taken as "literal" at one point there by one or two of the hosts as in "manicure" and "lawns".
Child was Child by one I think.

I cannot quite remember the exact answer as it was a bit over the place, but do recall the sitter being thought to be holding back the sale as the home was owned for some time by the family (something like that) and that it might be an idea to get a new younger realtor to take on the responsibility of selling the house.

But some if not most of those cards were looked at in a "literal" way.

There was another small spread: "Fish Mountain Crossroads".

I do think this was one spread with no "literal" references, but I had a difficult time understanding how she read it. (Hill).

More or less she mentioned that if finances were needed she knew who to go to with the FISH and CROSSROAD combination.

I liked how she put across "a block to her path".

However, the way she read it was not straight forward, but it could have been due to the time limit.

I would like to know, however, where this "literal" way began?

Barleywine

I just think it's an inevitable outgrowth of the way we read, especially in context. If they didn't originate it, someone else would have (and probably already did in their own practice). It kind of straddles the line between purely "learned" meanings and purely intuitive ones. I like the idea of the Anchor tagged onto the end of a "house sale" spread as showing the owners dragging their feet. But it could always mean that someone wound up very secure because of the deal, of course.

DownUnderNZer

Like how the "Brazilian system" has blended the Lenormand with their own cultural and/or Religious/Spiritual practices. Mind you, a lot of their cards still hold the traditional German meanings as well so maybe not quite in the same stead as using "literal" as "literal".

Now intuitive makes sense only I do not think the Lenormand was ever meant to quite be read in a "pure intuitive" way.

I like SNAKE as "PIPE LINES" only as I do see it as INTESTINES in the body so can see it as PIPE LINES as well.

As for TEMPTATION - I think I will leave that to the BIBLE and ADAM and EVE.

What ever will be next? :D

Something I wont buy into I am sure unless developed as an extension of the system and by someone that really knows it in and out.

I just think it's an inevitable outgrowth of the way we read, especially in context. If they didn't originate it, someone else would have (and probably already did in their own practice). It kind of straddles the line between purely "learned" meanings and purely intuitive ones. I like the idea of the Anchor tagged onto the end of a "house sale" spread as showing the owners dragging their feet.

Barleywine

What ever will be next? :D

Something I wont buy into I am sure unless developed as an extension of the system and by someone that really knows it in and out.

Nor will I, since I get perfectly satisfactory results using traditional methods of interpretation. But it would be kind of fun to keep in the back of our heads to pull out when something unconventional might make perfect sense. (Hmm, I may be sorry I saw this thread :))

DownUnderNZer

Extensions are fine I reckon if you know whatever your craft is quite well whether it be Playing Cards, Tarot, or the Lenormand etc.

So, there is always room for growth in some ways although I doubt true Traditionalists would quite agree or be supportive when it comes to the Lenormand. That is what caused the great wars on AT before my time and just as I was entering it.

Anyways...

3:45am here and I need to be up by about 10 am at the latest to head in to the city to meet up with a friend.

Nor will I, since I get perfectly satisfactory results using traditional methods of interpretation. But it would be kind of fun to keep in the back of our heads to pull out when something unconventional might make perfect sense. (Hmm, I may be sorry I saw this thread :))

DownUnderNZer

Am also wondering now if this is where "lennies" came from as that is only recent as well.

Might see if I can find some time to listen to more radio broadcasts etc.