Money and Deck Creation

HudsonGray

Baba, I know what you mean about the thrill. Jeannette just ordered 10 more decks from me & said there were two guys in South Korea who were anxious to get their hands on them.

South Korea! I've never sold anything to anyone over there. My monster dolls have gotten to over 30 countries, but not to Korea.

baba-prague

It IS one of the joys of doing a lot of it yourself - like I say I disagree with that guy that anything that isn't directly visual is boring.
We have sent a deck to Kuwait recently. I was really pleased. We also sell well in Japan. I know that Riccardo is probably wondering what we are on about (I'm sure LS sell absolutely everywhere), but well, it IS a thrill to me.
Korea? That is GREAT Hudson!

M-Press

oK...oK...i'm breaking my silence...
I was unusually and unexpectedly speechless till now...

Thanks to all for every word in this thread...

All in all, I think that things ain't that bad...
To me, whatever concerns tarot, and it's creation especially, has tought me that "life is nothing like I thought it was".
My deck made me do things I would NEVER think of doing before-like standing for two cold winters in an outdoor market in NY, for a month each time, selling my tarot art. (i'm a very urban/semi-spoiled corporate big-city girl).
The next thing that I'm thinking to do now, to live from this, is to actually do READINGS in group parties, and at the end have my decks for a "special sale". I was never interested in doing readings, but now I'm opening to that, so that I can SELL decks!
Due to this, i started WRITING a book, that will be published after the deck, so that someone can get something more out of it...
and all this was unexpected...
not to mention my "life in AT"!!!!!

mandragora speaks if a spiritual revoluton/evolution.
Yes, i definitely feel a part of it, like all of us HERE are a part of it, and selling decks means not only trying to pay the rent that way, but also INTRODUCING tarot to more and more people in the world...
(can you imagine kiosks selling decks instead of cigarettes????)...hm... we need many flavores...

Through the tarot (creation), I also found the hidden ARTIST in me (camouflaged by a "designer".)
With the release, the freedom and the joy, comes the responsibility. I HAVE TO make a living by doing THIS....
and I am THE FOOL, walking to the unknown, taking a risk, knowing that I'll make mistakes, but...there are another 21 options later on... ;)

yes, it's tuff, but it's not impossible. We'll have to invent some of the "ways", but there is the fun too!
And the bad guys? None that comes to this can be a bad guy! whether it's work for hire, a project that took someone 10 years, or a studen'ts work, every arrival is legitimate. If you stick to it, you are in.
And if you agree to a bad contract, it's because you were not ready to NOT agree to it, and it's a part of your evolution...
(personally, i call "bad guys" only those who do not respect my efforts, time and energy.)

and just before I go to sleep-I get SO inspired from ideas by HudsonGray, like using the AOL boxes as packaging... it is SO out of the box, so breaks the rules to the standard, and shows how WE, the "small" tarot people, can find solutions that the big guys can not touch...

maybe it's the spring, but I do feel so optimistic...

Astra

Re: well, at the risk of getting a bit off-thread (but not very)

baba-prague said:
If you would like an icon to go with that quote, you might enjoy choosing from one of these "Patron Saints of Graphic Design"
http://www.lynnster.com/saints.html

I like Saint Anxiete myself ;-)

Umm, er, ah - deadlines and stress? I got into this because I wanted AWAY from those! And so far I've sort of succeeded. I think I'll make my usual salute to the Goddess Caprice, who is the embodiment of "odd things happen all the time", and concentrate on trying to find ways of making it work without having to kill myself.

edited to add: Just so I stop a few steps above boring (boring? having to kick myself out of bed for one more stressed out day is boring, not the inevitable and fascinating details!)