How do you like your cards finish????

Le_Corsair

I like what Rota uses on his two decks, the Ator Tarot and the International Icon Tarot. He'll have to speak for himself, but I find that after using his decks, typical factory decks from US Games and Lo Scab tend to be more difficult to shuffle.

Bob :THERM

M-Press

Very interesting diverse opinions we have here...!
How nice...It shows how there is "a place in the world for everything", ah?

A handy shuffling is a must then, and it better not be too shiny...
No I have to start thinking what I like too...hm...

baba-prague

Bear in mind M-press that you will not be able to do the thing that everyone prefers, as we all have different preferences and requirements. I've gone over this endlessly with ToP - and in fact I tend to agree with Yves in some ways and so we ARE making the new lacquering a bit heavier and more obvious, but you know I've also had lots of people asking me not to change it.

In the end it's best not to give yourself too hard a time over this. You can judge what's right for the deck (couldn't agree more that different styles of deck call for different styles of lacquer or lamination). I think the thing to avoid is the extremes - either no lacquer at all (which I think is unacceptable, I don't really like to use my unlacquered decks - mostly Italian) or the very thick plastic-type laminate, which seems to veer too far in the other direction - it reminds me of institutional things somehow. In-between those two extremes, a wide range of finishes will probably work fine.

rota

"I like what Rota uses on his two decks, the Ator Tarot and the International Icon Tarot. He'll have to speak for himself, but I find that after using his decks, typical factory decks from US Games and Lo Scab tend to be more difficult to shuffle."

+++++++

I used a varnish finish. It's applied as a single coat, by the press, after the four-color passes have been done. I wanted a finish that had some aspects of a matte finish and some aspects of shiny lacquer. I liked the shuffling qualities found in decks with a matte finish, and I liked the slippery, shiny qualities of lacquer, and this seemed like a good compromise.

If I had unlimited funds, I would ideally like to make cards from the plasticized paper found in high-end Vegas decks. Those shuffle beautifully, with an authoritative snap, and never seem to snag or fray.

(Not that I... um.... you know, spend a lot of time.... uh.... gaming.)

:p

Astraea

Sulis said:
I don't know the technicalities of different finishes but I know what I don't like: Anything too shiny or anything too plasticy. I'd give the Glastonbury tarot as an example of an awful finish - really love that deck but I hate shuffling it.
Yes, same here -- I love the deck, but that shiny, plasticene coating is my least favorite of all finishes.

Like others who have posted, I don't know the technical differences between varnish and lamination, but I like cards with a matte finish that are smooth but don't stick together, like the Tarot of Prague and the Golden Tarot.

M-Press

Thanks everyone for telling your preferences...!
and oh, wise words baba...

and thanks for the "insight" rota...
Btw, what do you mean by plastisied decks? I'm afraid I'm not a big gamer myself...;)
I actually think that your designs (the international tarot) would look great with lamination... anything with a graphic look would...

I got samples today...for anyone that wants to get better educated on the matter...):

- One with matte lamination (the papaer then has to be thinner, because lamination adds thickness, and then a deck of 80 cards can become just HUGE!)
You can spilll coffee on these, and take them to the beach, and wipe the sand later...

- one a thicker chromo mat, that will get laquer, or varnish or SOMETHING, there is just glossy and matte here, not too many options...)
That is definitely not as durable as the laminated, (not for the beach, I'm afraid...) but it will age nicely, and wil make a nice sound shuffled...

- One a special cardstock paper, that has a carbon layer in the middle (triplex-has 3 layers), and this is considered top of the line as it is stiff, bendable but unbreakable, and definitely snappy. This gets a varnish/laquer as well, but this can be called too plasticky as well, by some...
This is very high in price, especially if you do small runs, like small presses do...
The big guys, use that...

so, it's not just the finish that counts, but what you start with as well...

what I LIKE? honestly...I think I won't be too picky here... lamination for colorful, graphic looks, the simple chromo for antique looking designs... The triplex can work either ways...If i owned a printing shop, I would experiment with the coatings..
and yes, I can now see how you can't make everyone happy...(not even myself happy, everyday!)

:)

Lady Eclipse

Hi,

I prefer the laminated shiny look. I love the way it looks, feels, and performs. I'm most likely going to have this finish on my C.C. Deck. :)

Joy to you,
Maralee