What is the King of Pentacles foot resting on?

StellarMyst

All Is One said:
I can't tell what it is either...but the Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom by Rachel Pollack shed a bit of light on connection between the animal figure at his foot and the card... Re: King of Pents:

"Enjoying life means a closeness to nature as well [...] Life is good to him and he means to enjoy it."

Will be interested to see what other people think the figure actually represents under his foot...
Oooooh! I just got this same book, and have not had a chance to crack it open yet! This makes it look vvvveeeerrryyyyy promising! :D I was starting to pick it up the other day, thumbed through it, and thought: Oooook. this one's gonna have to be taken like any book one would consider of learning material - with *tests attached* eeeeks! LOL ;) Of course, this is not to say that there is anything wrong with the book, I just hadn't really picked it up. I was drawn to it while shopping for a new deck here recently. ;)

Blessings, Love, & Light to all,

StellarMyst

StellarMyst

Oooops!

Sorrrry Mods! *sheepish grin* :D I'll try not to go off on any more tangents!

~StellarMyst

All Is One

Go, Go, S~myst!!

I honestly believe the mods will allow you to venture a bit further.

I was in a "went to sleep at 9 pm and woke up babbling at 3 am" mood when I found this so forgive or moderate me...what ever it takes.

I also see R Pollack's book as a serious text. I confess I was busy buying RJ Stewart (boy that got costly and I am not yet reading more than 2) and all the old oop copies of "Magick and the Tarot" by Tony Willis....

Which I intend to own all the used copies of until we force a re-print.

Now as to the topic...there was a topic: unless I hallucinate, the Magickal Tarot (very sim to Golden Dawn and Thoth) system seems to place Knights as Kings and then Q's (natch) and then Princes. (I'd rather be a sparrow than a Prince, Yes, I would, If I could...I surely would. ~ Paul Simon & Art Garfunkel, with liberties.)

Back to the King/Knight of Pents: It is not too surprising that Tony Willis offers this odd piece of completely (to me) useless info regarding how to gain the attention of the indiv. benoted as the Knight of Pents..."move your cash box or your petty cash to a new location."

God, I stand behind this book...but sometimes I begin to wonder "???"

As to what is at the K of P's foot...someone please step up to this one.

Or I will make something up...

(hee hee)

Sonia Doris

I looked closely and I can see the nose and an eye, so I'd also go for the head. Although the turtle/rabbit(hare) idea is equally interesting.

Rosanne

Hehehe I answered this once upon a couple of years ago I think. I think it is a visual pun. I think it is supposed to be the head of Thoth the Ape- directly poking borax at Crowley, Waite's enemy. Crowley was always making rude comments about Waite and how boring he was- this was Pamela and her quirky humour...perhaps
~Rosanne

Attachments

• Thoth.jpg
    Thoth.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 261

Furnacechant

I'd say it's a sacrificial bull's head, connecting to Taurus...weren't there some ancient cultures who simultaneously revered and sacrificially killed bulls? It definitely looks bull-like to me, anyway.

All Is One

I could talk endlessly about the Minoans

Yes, there was a culture that revered and did not kill...bulls. (as far as I can remember... on point of killing them.)

The Minoans on Crete. Where the Palace is (Knossos) and I still don't see what you see under his foot but I wish I did!

I see what Debra sees...and I agree with her. It looks to me unmistakably like a very ancient helmet of war...a ver y good choice of symbol to enforce the idea of him as a peaceful king. Debra...good call!

I think other ideas are interesting but make less sense.

I get at least one vote and that is my vote for now.

As for the rivalry between Waite and Crowley...I'm too ignorant on any of that. Maybe a study group or a book or something needs to be done.

Ya think?

Rosanne

Who does the winking eye belong to if it is a helmet? The head does not seem very bull like either, having no horns and a flat head. Both the animals on the arm rests, do seem to be bulls and not Capricorn as the card is usually assigned to. I think it may profit those who wonder to check the use of the Pentacle- Waites reasoning and then Crowley's reasoning and see that the Ape of Thoth may be a plausible explanation. Our eyes are all different of course :D ~Rosanne

Rosanne

Here is my reasoning:
In the Golden Dawn magical system, the Earth Pentacle is one of four elemental "weapons" or tools of an Adept. These weapons are "symbolical representations of the forces employed for the manifestation of the inner self, the elements required for the incarnation of the divine."[6] Other pentacles for the evocation of spirits are also employed in the Golden Dawn system; these are engraved with the name and sigil of the spirit to be invoked, inside three concentric circles, having painted on their reverse a circle and cross like a celtic cross.[7]

According to Aleister Crowley's instructions for the Ordo Templi Orientis, the pentacle is a disc of wax, gold, silver-gilt or Electrum Magicum, eight inches diameter and half an inch thick; the Neophyte should "by his understanding and ingenium devise a symbol to represent the Universe", and engrave this on the disc.[8]

There is, therefore, nothing movable or immovable under the whole firmament of heaven which is not included in this pantacle(this spelling= Thelema), though it be but 'eight inches in diameter, and in thickness half an inch.' Fire is not matter at all; water is a combination of elements; air almost entirely a mixture of elements; earth contains all both in admixture and in combination. So must it be with this Pantacle, the symbol of earth.

Now Waite on the other hand 1902, precipitated a schism in the Golden Dawn the following year. He purged magic from the rituals, replacing it with mysticism. During this time Crowley wrote a book called Moonchild in which he cast Waite as a villian Arthwait. Its plot involves a magical war between a group of white magicians, and a group of black magicians over an unborn child.
So here we have a possible fight between Magic (Crowley) and Mysticism (Waite). It is said that Magician wants to get and a Mystic wants to give- it of course goes deeper than this- but anyway in my book in this card the King of Pentacles- Waite the white magician won and Crowley lost, trampled underfoot, depicted as Thoth the Ape.
Of course this cannot be proved. :D
~Rosanne