Thrice Armed Hierophant

Owl Tarot

Quite possibly. Although I do like Gunther's idea that they, and their repositioning, are emblematic of a new Pentagrammaton that signifies the formula of The Woman Satisfied. The function of the Hierophant goes beyond Tiphareth in this Aeon to fulfill the 'Holy Covenant' that now allows the Abyss to be crossed.

I also like the idea, but I think those thoughts are actually harmonious with each other and work well together to illustrate the union of the Microcosm with the Macrocosm, one of the purposes of the Hierophant. He is a Holy Covenant in a sense, because he provides the means by which one can cross the Abyss from one Father (Chesed) to the Archetypal Father (Chokmah). Liber's 333 ΚΕΦΑΛΗ E' is pretty interesting to read since it reveals the harmonious nature of those two father figures.

Agreed. Although it's important to remember that in this aeon all manifestations of the Hierophant are ultimately forms of Hoor. In the scheme of initiation the aspirant is initially Osiris. See Liber AL I:49. This may be another reason why the Hierophant appears to be wearing a mask.

One more observation. Is the Hierophant casting a shadow? The window behind him would appear to be bright. The Hierophant appears to be blocking the light thereby creating a triangular shadow that forms part of the penta/hexagram.
Interstingly Set is the hidden (shadow) aspect of Horus and is symbolic of the HGA. Set (ShTh) can be spelt Shin-Tau = 700. This is also the numeric value of Paroketh, the veil before the Holy of Holies.

A nice idea that just apparently came to me, I like connecting the light behind him with the energy of Chokmah, which inspires him and causes his devotion (virtue associated with Chokmah), with the Macrocosmic aspect in which the Hierophant initiates. In order to achieve that, he uses structure to make concrete the abstact nature of what is above the Abyss via his "shadow" (using that interesting point), constucting those abstract archetypes into something solid, something which can get the "rush and out" energy of Chokmah and materialize it, connecting what is above with what is below, which isn't too far from the HGA function. In performing this task, he is indeed in a way a "Holy Covenant" which provides the means of crossing the Abyss.

Aeon418

V.V.V.V.V.

In performing this task, he is indeed in a way a "Holy Covenant" which provides the means of crossing the Abyss.

His name is the confirmation.
Liber VII. 4:40-42. said:
40. Also I read in a great Book.
41. On ancient skin was written in letters of gold: Verbum fit Verbum.
42. Also Vitriol and the hierophant’s name V.V.V.V.V.

Those initials are the same five footprints of a Camel found in chapter 42 of the Book of Lies. Another link to the crossing of the Abyss. (They also represent the tens horns of the Beast that spring from five points. The Beast who has the Secret of V. 25th Aethyr.)

In Liber Trigrammaton the Master is said to "flame forth as a star and set a guard of Water in every Abyss." Every Abyss is the five paths that cross the Abyss. A Covenant of V on each path. V.V.V.V.V.

These five V's are synonymous with the Heart of Blood. An inverted red triangle (The special symbol of Horus in the Cairo working. Also see Liber LXV, III:28 & Liber VII, V:42.) which represents the life blood of the Adept. The same blood that Horus says must 'flow to his name' in Liber AL III:11. And the same blood that must be sanctified and poured into the Cup of Babalon in the Crossing of the Abyss.

Can you see this Heart of Blood on Atu V ?

Aeon418

But this raises a natural question. Doesn't V.V.V.V.V. = Aleister Crowley?

Initiation in the Aeon of the Child (p.124-125)
J. Daniel Gunther said:
Lest there be misunderstanding on this point and it is mistakenly believed that we are fostering a false Soteriology, I will speak plainly. The Messiah was not Aleister Crowley; despite all his genius, which is undeniable, he was merely the Scribe for a greater Adept. Neither does V.V.V.V.V. only represent a motto of Aleister Crowley. Frater Perdurabo, upon attaining to Magister Templi, took a motto with these initials, for reasons that are known to certain Initiates of the A.'.A.'. It would be improper to discuss this matter openly in this place. However, it is essential to understand that V.V.V.V.V. is another Magister entirely, individual and unique, insofar as such terms apply above the Abyss.
Aleister Crowley said:
41 ΚΕΦΑΛΗ ΜΑ

CORN BEEF HASH

In V.V.V.V.V. is the Great Work perfect.

Therefore none is that pertaineth not to V.V.V.V.V.

In any may he manifest; yet in one hath he chosen to manifest; and this one hath given His ring as a Seal of Authority to the Work of the A.'.A.'. through the colleagues of FRATER PERDURABO.

But this concerns themselves and their administration; it concerneth none below the grade of Exempt Adept, and such an one only by command.

Also, since below the Abyss Reason is Lord, let men seek by experiment, and not by Questionings.

Owl Tarot

Those initials are the same five footprints of a Camel found in chapter 42 of the Book of Lies. Another link to the crossing of the Abyss. (They also represent the tens horns of the Beast that spring from five points. The Beast who has the Secret of V. 25th Aethyr.)

In Liber Trigrammaton the Master is said to "flame forth as a star and set a guard of Water in every Abyss." Every Abyss is the five paths that cross the Abyss. A Covenant of V on each path. V.V.V.V.V.

These five V's are synonymous with the Heart of Blood. An inverted red triangle (The special symbol of Horus in the Cairo working. Also see Liber LXV, III:28 & Liber VII, V:42.) which represents the life blood of the Adept. The same blood that Horus says must 'flow to his name' in Liber AL III:11. And the same blood that must be sanctified and poured into the Cup of Babalon in the Crossing of the Abyss.

Can you see this Heart of Blood on Atu V ?

About the 5 V's, I get a more complete picture now then what I had before. About the reverse red triangle of Horus, could it be the united red bottom angle of both the Pentagram and the Hexagram at the point where it "touches" the Scarlet Woman before the Hierophant?

Aeon418

About the reverse red triangle of Horus, could it be the united red bottom angle of both the Pentagram and the Hexagram at the point where it "touches" the Scarlet Woman before the Hierophant?

I trace the triangle from the Scarlet Woman to the two elephants at the top corners. This triangle contains the sign of V. The V is formed from the Scarlet Woman to the shoulders of the Hierophant. See Atu VIII as well where a similar motif occurs (the chains) that matches the Hierophants 'sinister' benediction. Also the Lord of Silence is hidden within the lotus as per Liber LXV, III:27-29.

Liber LXV. III:27-29. said:
27. If I say Come up upon the mountains! the celestial waters flow at my word. But thou art the Water beyond the waters.
28. The red three-angled heart hath been set up in Thy shrine; for the priests despised equally the shrine and the god.
29. Yet all the while Thou wast hidden therein, as the Lord of Silence is hidden in the buds of the lotus.

Crowley's commentary on these verses:
Aleister Crowley said:
These verses are especially obscure, and must to a certain extent so remain. For they contain an allusion to the most secret and critical issue of the Magical career of TO MEGA OHPION. “The red three-angled heart” is the peculiar symbol of Ra-Hoor-Khuit; and the Prophet objected to accepting the Book of the Law, which proclaims Him, as being incompatible with his Oath to attain the Knowledge and Conversation of his Holy Guardian Angel. Not until nineteen years later did he fully realize that the Holy Guardian Angel was concealed in this symbol Ra-Hoor-Khuit. The “priests” seem here to represent the Secret Chiefs of the A.'. A.'. who executed their purpose of establishing the Law by means of TO MEGA OHPION in complete disregard of his personal ideas of what his Work (“Shrine”) and the object of his adoration (“god”) might be. The metaphor at the end of verse 29 reminds us that the lotus (Isis-Nature) conceals beneath its outward semblance, the secret perfections of the Child.

Owl Tarot

I trace the triangle from the Scarlet Woman to the two elephants at the top corners. This triangle contains the sign of V. The V is formed from the Scarlet Woman to the shoulders of the Hierophant. See Atu VIII as well where a similar motif occurs (the chains) that matches the Hierophants 'sinister' benediction. Also the Lord of Silence is hidden within the lotus as per Liber LXV, III:27-29.

(29) could also be a referrence to The Priestess (Atu II) since she connects the Lord of Silence (Harpocrates or Hoor-pa-Kraat in Kether) to Ra-Hoor-Khuit who in a sense lies concealed at Tiphareth?

Michael Sternbach

About the 5 V's, I get a more complete picture now then what I had before. About the reverse red triangle of Horus, could it be the united red bottom angle of both the Pentagram and the Hexagram at the point where it "touches" the Scarlet Woman before the Hierophant?

May I refer to my earlier post and Aion's reply to it. Shocking as it may be - and notwithstanding what AC wrote - there is no hexagram on the card. That everybody thinks they are seeing it somehow, THAT'S the secret joke the Hierophant is enjoying. :p

It's not the only instance that Crowley's text and Harris' painting don't quite agree with each other. However, several pentagrams inscribed within each other are a classical way to illustrate the macrocosm/microcosm concept, so my re-interpretation retains AC's thought.

Aeon418

Shocking as it may be - and notwithstanding what AC wrote - there is no hexagram on the card.
Placing a mirror just below the child produces an interesting effect similar to this drawing by Eliphas Levi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sealsolomon.jpg

Reflecting the lower half of the card shows the same pattern seen on Atu VIII.
That everybody thinks they are seeing it somehow, THAT'S the secret joke the Hierophant is enjoying. :p
I think the joke relates to the Hierophant's hand gesture. Crowley's use of the word 'sinister' instantly draws attention to the left hand. The same left hand that Crowley fails to mention, even though it appears on earlier drafts of the card.
http://www.caduceusbooks.com/occultartgallery2/harris/S_HEIROPHANT.html

Owl Tarot

Placing a mirror just below the child produces an interesting effect similar to this drawing by Eliphas Levi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sealsolomon.jpg

Reflecting the lower half of the card shows the same pattern seen on Atu VIII.

I think the joke relates to the Hierophant's hand gesture. Crowley's use of the word 'sinister' instantly draws attention to the left hand. The same left hand that Crowley fails to mention, even though it appears on earlier drafts of the card.
http://www.caduceusbooks.com/occultartgallery2/harris/S_HEIROPHANT.html

I enjoy that there is the space to give more than one meanings to the gesture that actually make sense along the meanings of the card.

smw

I enjoy that there is the space to give more than one meanings to the gesture that actually make sense along the meanings of the card.

that dancing figure above looks...quite androgynous. Perhaps it shows how the hierophant likes his men ;)