Liber 418 study group - 22nd Aethyr: LIN

Zephyros

I know. Your initial question provided part of the answer! :laugh:

Back to Chokmah in Yetzirah. Why can't Crowley accurately describe his experience in this vision? Because in the very process he's having to come down on one side of the fence or the other. But whichever side he picks, he's wrong! :confused: Chokmah in Yetzirah is both sides of the fence at the same time! :bugeyed:

Adjustment comes to mind from your quote. Certainly very Yetziraic.

Aeon418

I just noticed Eshelman saying that the Golden Dawn's formula for their 5:6 ritual is in the AA the formula of the 2:9 initiation ceremony. I was wondering if this might be to with this Aethyr relating to Chockmah as well as having a main theme at Tipareth.
That's a really good point, smw. :)

Crowley did move the old 5=6 symbolism down to Yesod because he thought it represented a 'lesser redemption' than that of Tiphareth. This lesser redemption was the beginning of clear aspiration by the Word of Chokmah (True Will) being reflected into the subconscious (Yesod) of the aspirant. But this is still a long way from the K&C of HGA in Tiphareth.

One thing that is very different is the dual role that Crowley assumes in this vision. (More Chokmah is Yetzirah?) At one point he is the aspirant to be initiated. But later on he takes the place of the Initiator. In sections 11-13 there is a crucifixion that matches the symbolic crucifixion of the adept in the old 5=6 ceremony. But in section 17 there is a dramatic shift. Instead of merely witnessing the resurrection of Christian Rosenkreutz as in the old 5=6, he is actually lying in his place within the Pastos, beneath the Table in the Vault. It is in this position that he hears the Voice of Horus, the Crowned Child, who describes himself as a unity with two distinct aspects in sections 18-22. (Chokmah in Yetzirah again?)

Aeon418

Adjustment comes to mind from your quote. Certainly very Yetziraic.
Or the 2 of Swords - Luna in Libra. The Peace symbolised by that card is disrupted by the Mind grasping one of the Swords. But maybe that's why it says that "it is by virtue of the mind that he endures it, and passes on, if so be that he pass on."

Crowley had to "pass on" to obtain visions of the remaining Aethyrs, even if it meant he could not fully immerse himself in them. How else can one obtain visions beyond Yetzirah? The angel of the 18th Aethyr reminds him of the restrictions he was working under after Crowley "zoned out" for 20 minutes.
18th Aethyr said:
I wanted to go back to the King's Chamber. The Angel pushed me away, saying: "Thou shalt see these visions from afar off, but thou shalt not partake of them save in the manner prescribed. For if thou change so much as the style of a letter, the holy word is blasphemed.

Aeon418

Incomplete. But better late than never...

22nd Aethyr: LIN. Pronounced "Lee-noo" in the Golden Dawn's dialect.

L = Cancer, Cheth, VII The Chariot.

I = Sagittarius, Samekh, XIV Art.

N = Scorpio, Nun, XIII Death.

Cheth(8) + Samekh(60) + Nun(50) = 118.

118 isn't a particularly interesting number. But as A.C. notes, it is a multiple of 59, which is AChIM - Brethren. This is meant indicate the Twins concealed in Heru-Ra-Ha. A Unity with two aspects. (2 x 59 = 118)

Other suggestive words that equal 118 are:
ChLPh - To pass, renew, change.
ChMO - To ferment.
According to Crowley both of these words could represent the action of Horus.

In this vision Horus is not openly revealed. He is still unborn within the womb of Babalon. Hence, like her, his formula is Seven-fold. This matches his appearance in The Book of the Law, where he manifests under 7 different names. (Or more accurately 6 different names subsumed within a unifying 7th that suggests the solar formula ARARITA.)

Heru-Ra-Ha.

Ra-Hoor-Khuit.
Ra-Hoor-Khut.
Ra-Hoor-Khu.

Heru-pa-kraath.
Hoor-paar-kraat.
Hoor-pa-kraat.
22nd Aethyr: LIN said:
22 .... Begone! For that which was open is shut. And thou shalt not avail to open it, saving by virtue of him whose name is one, whose spirit is one, whose individuum is one, and whose permutation is one; whose light is one, whose life is one, whose love is one. For though thou art joined to the inmost mystery of the heaven, thou must accomplish the sevenfold task of the earth
I interpret the above to mean that knowledge of Horus isn't enough. He must be manifested, in all his aspects, in the lives of individuals to be fully born. This is the sevenfold task of the earth.
J. Daniel Gunther has written on this subject and links it to the Seven Palaces in Assiah and a system of classifying Horus' aspects under active and passive forms of Introversion, Extroversion, and Centroversion.

The cards that correspond to the name, LIN, are suggestive of the paths to the two great initiations of Adept and Master. The Path of Cheth opens unto Binah. And Samekh opens unto Tiphareth. Perhaps the letter N and Death are common to both initiations. But it is a different view of Death that in announced by Horus in this vision.

To be continued....

Aeon418

1. The table that Crowley is referring to can seen on this page.
http://hermetic.com/enochia/ref/sigilof.htm
Scroll down to the second table with the rainbow arrows. Those arrows show how the names of the 7 Planetary angels are derived from the table. Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see how that same table contains the names of four sets of 7 angels called the Daughters and Sons of Light, and their Daughters and Sons.

2. The multi-coloured angel may relate to Chokmah or Samekh. Or maybe he is a personification of the table itself. His Pan-pipe may relate to the 7 planetary angels. Hearing is attributed to Spirit. The music is so metaphorically 'high' that it is beyond sight, hence the temporary blindness.

3. The angel tries a different 'non-verbal' method of communication. The tracings of fire and the drops of dew could relate to the Sons and Daughters of Light? But Crowley can't quite describe it. Is the method of communication inadequate for the message? Or is Crowley 'getting' what is being said, but finds it impossible to translate into words? Section 4 seems to indicate that he can't 'bring it down' any lower. And when he ties it seems to be wrong.
It's possible the Aethyr name, LIN, plays a part here too. The angel is I-Sagittarius. The fire is N-Scorpio. And the Lunar-dew is L-Cancer.

5. The repeated use of 49 suggests to me a sense of continuity through everything. This is reminiscent of Liber Legis I:26.
I:26 ..... the consciousness of the continuity of existence, the omnipresence of my body.
But that appears to be a 'break' in the 10th Aethyr, home of Choronzon. This aethyr only has 42 elements. 42 is the numerical value of the Hebrew AMA. This is the dark sterile mother. She lacks the letter Yod which transforms her into AIMA, the bright fertile mother. Perhaps Crowley, in his crossing of the Abyss, is the Yod that heals the break in the continuity?
I:29. For I am divided for love's sake, for the chance of union.

6. In this section the vision continues with Crowley perceiving the surrounding Aethyr from two different perspectives at the same time! I get the sense that he is right on the edge of normal awareness and is about to transition to a different level.

7-8. And in these two sections he does just that. He is drawn towards Union with the tablet and into Samadhi. At this point the vision falters because he is at the point of experiencing the inmost nature of LIN directly. Realizing this he pulls back and the vision continues.

9. This is a note by the scribe, Frate Omnia Vincam (Victor Neuburg). Crowley was obviously lost in trance for some time and did not speak to him.

10. Crowley pulls himself away from the table, but is pulled back in again. "I am no more."

Sections 11-13 seem mirror the crucifixion in the G.D. Adeptus Minor ceremony. But something much deeper is indicated than a glorification of suffering. Here Crowley sees himself as the union of the Cross and the Sphere (Hadit and Nuit) giving birth to Heru-Ra-Ha in center.
J. Daniel Gunther links this section to the concepts of Extroversion, Introversion, and Centroversion.

14. Here Crowley begins to analyse the vision with his mind, and hence the unity of the vision is spoilt by it's intrusion.

15. Refocusing on the aethyr. Hearing returns (spirit) but in an impossible fashion.

16. The Eye? His point of view, individuality, and sense of self shall fade in Union?

To be continued...

Aeon418

17. Here we deviate from the G.D. 5=6. In that ceremony the candidate is brought face to face with the resurrected Christian Rosenkreutz, who recites the famous words of John 11:25-26.
John 11:25-26 said:
I am the resurrection and the life. He that believeth in Me, though he were dead, yet shall he live. And whosoever liveth and believeth in Me, shall never die.
Here Crowley takes the place of Rosenkreutz in the Pastos. This may possibly indicate an evolution of the old formula. Instead of being initiated into the mysteries of the Osirian INRI/IAO formula by the resurrected Osiris/Christ/Rosenkreutz, he assumes that role himself and prepares to take the Next Step promised by the New Aeon. The two angels that cover him with their wings may be simulating the state of death. All is black (Osiris – the 4 elements), but then he hears a Voice. (Hearing = Spirit)

18. The voice is the voice of Heru-Ra-Ha – the Lord of the Aeon of Horus. The opening of his Eye makes me automatically think of Atu XVI, The Tower. This is the shattering experience that changes everything. The old universe is dissolved with this new revelation concerning death.
The seven spaces are the Seven Palaces of Assiah. (Diagram 27)
http://hermetic.com/crowley/equinox/i/ii/images/102_272a.jpg
This arrangement is a particular way of grouping the ten Sephiroth of the Tree of Life into a Seven-fold scheme. The number seven seems to be important in this Aethyr due to the link to Babalon and the seven-fold nature of Horus. Why is it nought? Maybe because from this perspective it is seen as a single thing with no parts. (Nought = Nuit?)

19. Horus encompasses all polarities and dualities. Section 18 is Speech. While in section 19 it is balanced with Silence. (Harpocrates with his finger on his lips.)

20. This section is an example of the dual nature of Heru-Ra-Ha. Who is slain though? The domination of the Ruach-intellect, crowned with the winds?

21. This section (and the next) reminds me of the very Horus inspired, Liber Tzaddi. (One of my personal favorites. J) “Sons of the Morning.” A connection to Lucifer, the fallen angel? It’s also possible that in means IV The Emperor (Tzaddi again!, and another polarity?).

22. This section seems symbolise the New Aeonic shift in consciousness and it’s effect on how we perceive death. The intellect alone can’t pierce that veil or provide any answers, hence the ‘apparent tragedy’ contained within the Osirian death and resurrection formula.
Liber Tzaddi said:
28. I love you; I would sprinkle you with the divine dew of immortality.
29. This immortality is no vain hope beyond the grave: I offer you the certain consciousness of bliss.
30. I offer it at once, on earth; before an hour hath struck upon the bell, ye shall be with Me in the Abodes that are beyond Decay.
Death transformed! This is reflected in the corresponding Thoth Tarot card where the dancing figure wears the crown of Osiris. He, Osiris, is a black god. And there is no god but (wo)man, who uses the categories of experience called life and death to express his/her own divinity.

23. The vision draws to a close. Although in this final section (17 onwards) there has been no vision at all, only voice. The mention of the shew-bread and the consecrated wine suggest that he Crowley has been symbolically with the Holy of Holies. But now he is being pushed out the door as his conscious mind begins to reassert itself.

The one who can open the way back is Horus/the Holy Guardian Angel, presented here under a seven-fold formula reminiscent of ARARITA. https://iao131.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/ararita.png

ARARITA said:
אחד ראש אחדותו ראש יחודו תמורתו אחד

"Achad Rosh Ache'dutho Rosh Yichudtho T'muratho Achad" "One, the beginning of his Unity, the Beginning of his Uniqueness, His Permutation One."
The inmost mystery of the heaven and the seven-fold task of earth? To me this suggests that spiritual experience alone isn’t enough. One must also manifest and ground that experience in life to ‘give birth to it.’ This may also link back to the Tree of Life and the Seven Palaces of Assiah. (7 Palaces = 7 names of Horus given in Liber Legis?)

The stirring up of discontent in those who’s swords are of lath? I think a sword of lath is a toy sword made for children out of building material. Is this a bit of a slap in the face aimed at the rational mind? I think so. Whatever secrets lie hidden within this vision are inaccessible to reason. But maybe this a case of ‘carrot dangling.’ The bait is being held in front of your nose, try and take a bite and see where it takes you? Sounds like the Hermetic Fish-hook again – Tzaddi!