Artist and Patron

Bernice

Interesting thought though this political agenda via a game.
I am not sure if it would run really though...have to think about it some more.
~Rosanne
Devised from chess (yes, I think Huck is on a good track here). But I'm assuming that the original 'meanings' for the chess pieces perhaps morphed into a european world-view, even though it's basically strategy (and tactics?). So if the trumps were a later development of chess, the card images would be a whole new kettle of fish.

I wonder how informed the artists/patrons were..........

Bee :)

Cerulean

Perhaps a small comparison of decks between rulers if symbology was was both artifice and politics

If one sees parallels between military upstarts such as Sforza and Napoleon, the establishment of one's own gaming deck-let"s say for fun the Visconti-Sforza at the perhaps "proclaimed" ducal nomination and trumphal procession
of Sforza. And note the conquering of Forza with Hercules and the lion.

While the Estensi tarots have more unusual Bolognese touches, I would leave some of the imagery interpretation for when I have more access to my Estensi references--but they took very close observances of how the Viscontis and Medicis used symbology and (depending upon the generation), and Papal approval--that is the Counts Niccoli, and Leonello and first Duke Borso (he spent his lifetime trying to attain the ducal crown).

An Isabella tangent-but don't forget for the Estensi, some of the women were quite strong (unlike poor Parisina)

The tarocchi poem of MM Boiardo and the Estensi is wayward fancy by a poet courtier and a teacher of the very young Estensi--was is Isabella who must have remembered and been fond enough to kindly intercede for MM Boiardo's widow. It is said her encouragement kept M.M. Boiardo writing Orlando in Love. Isabella as a detailed patron of her state image was no less involved than her mother or her father Ercole, who kept a very detailed correspondence up with M.M. Boiardo. In Isabella's case, I believe she ruled while her husband was held for ransom for some years--she didn't pay the ransom.

Sorry for the ramble...

But my related point is a one could make a case that some tarocchi games were under certain design conventions and pleasure of the patron--a close study of how upstart Napoleon tried to copy his military French predecessors in his quest for Empire and echoes his "rightfulness" of imperial reign over Italy---the Napoleon symbology of N, the Eagle, his Star, the Laurel crown--it is among the design details in one woodcut tarot and tarocchino from the royal cardmaker Gumppenberg under Napoleon..

By the way, in the copper engraved Neoclassical/Lombardy deck circa 1807-1812 Hercules appears again, wrestling the Nemeon Lion and among and the singular variations, a young man looks in wonder beside a flowing stream, perhaps contemplating at his destiny underneath a sky of stars...

Best,

Cerulean

Rosanne said:
Thank you very much for this information. I see on Amazon it would cost me nearly $100 US....phew! for this catalogue.(second hand in Italian)

I will think about this.

It seems to say that the deck is considered having the Tradition and iconological aspects of the petrarchal origins. Very interesting.I am very interested in the fact that Art and politics were integral in Sforza's art view.
The deck seems like that. I have an interest in Straw Hats, and their political ramifications. :D

Thank you.
~Rosanne

Huck

Chess as a factor in the origin of Tarot

Rosanne in Artist and Patron said:
Nah maybe not 20/21 steps to start with anyway. I think the game was devised from chess as Huck has always tried to show. I guess, if I was devising something that would interest the elite I would use something that was already understand as a frame work. My brother uses a card game for his business effectiveness programmes. He nicked the idea off me with Tarot. The people to be entertained by a patron's family were not likely to play dice against the church wall.:D
Interesting thought though this political agenda via a game.
I am not sure if it would run really though...have to think about it some more.
~Rosanne

Replied in thread "Chess as a factor in the origin of Tarot", 3rd of August 2010