Eudes Picard meaning of the checkers board on page of swords

Philippe

Having the board be next to water is interesting, too. Water is emotion and the chessboard is logic. It's a contrast between the two ways of approaching an issue. Do we follow our heart, or our head? The fact that the Page's back is turned toward the water seems to show his decision.

I had not thought about that. Interesting development. Thank you

MikeH

Philippe wrote
Yes a spy, a traitor, prowlers in the night, a lookout, a spotter, someone who wants to take you by surprise, a soldier.
Picard is very traditionalist. He found these meanings in the ancient french cartomancy where Hogier is a spy.
How ancient are we talking about? Before Etteilla? When I look up Hogier on the Internet I see that he was associated with the Jack of Spades before Etteilla. But where in the chivalric literature was it said that he was a spy? Wikipedia's article on Hogier (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogier_the_Dane) doesn't mention it. Was it a cartomantic association before Etteilla?

Philippe

I vaguely remember that in the Roland's geste Hogier frightens a spy
But the first meaning could be : the night as in the pic of the XVIIIth century's deck (my post above). Boiteau d'Ambly highlights a medieval Jack of Spades with the enigmatic caption ctarde (= it's late ?)

MikeH

Yes, I see, waiting and watching in the night. What I was reacting to was the idea of "spy", as in the Etteilla reversed keyword. I am very puzzled as to where that comes from. It did not seem in that passage that he was spying--in the sense of a secret agent, at least--but maybe I missed something. That old French is hard for me to read.

Could "watching secretly" equal "spy" in some sense, apart from that of an enemy agent?

MR GREEN

Bit of an ask, but does any one have a photo copy of the lwb. that I could download please. Or maybe point me in right the direction of someone that has one for sale Clive..

coredil

Bit of an ask, but does any one have a photo copy of the lwb. that I could download please. Or maybe point me in right the direction of someone that has one for sale Clive..
Do you mean Eudes Picard LWB?
If so, there is no LWB but his book I already mentioned.
One can find it sometimes off Ebay.

BTW Aeclectic Forum member Kenji was once so nice to upload the text of Eudes Picard book and member firemaiden was also so nice to translate some parts of the text:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=60038

MR GREEN

Sorry, no its the Thomson-leng tarot deck. I have just purchased the deck but unfortunately no lwb in the sale. there was a thread that gave a picture of two pages of the book, and that's all I could find. What was of interest was the way the author used an almost lenormand way of tweeking the meanings according to what card was next to the card described. Clive...