Mark Filipas - The Pasteboard Masquerade

venicebard

kwaw said:
I haven't obtained the Grossman as yet [if you do please let me know your opionion of it and whether it is worth getting in addition to the Jastrow and Brown-Driver-Briggs].
I have it now and have been using it as an adjunct to my Davidson. It does not give etymological information of any kind, and it does not claim to be exhaustive. However, it has a usefulness of its own: it identifies with symbols whether the word -- or individual meaning ascribed thereto -- is biblical, talmudic, medieval, or modern: this allows some notion of how the language has evolved -- and it presents a nice little summary of the history of Hebrew in the front of the book -- and will prove doubly useful once I get back to Jastrow (still haven't received that yet) and the Mark Filipas hypothesis. (Whether I can pull myself back to that before making a stab at parsing the vocabulary of ancient Egyptian as to root-initials, I don't know, as I can feel that pull already! but I'll try.)

Meanings are given concisely, allowing enough room for its comprehensiveness as to vocabulary. I have found one or two discrepancies with Davidson, in which I tend to trust the Davidson, although with the latter one must of course make allowance for the fact that it is from an Anglican (evidently) perspective, causing it the occasional humorous gaff, such as adding the term "Christ" to the explanation of the meaning of the Hebrew word for messiah. But all in all, the Davidson is the result of careful scholarship and quite appropriate for the study I am making (listing all meanings under the root whence they are derived and giving tips concerning etymology of words). I'm glad I got the Grossman myself, but you will have to decide if it would serve your needs or not.

Pagan X

Pardon the thread necromancy, but I thought this appropriate to continue.

Filipas uses the Della Rocca innovations as evidence of the trumps as a Hebrew aleph-bet picture book. Was Della Rocca Jewish, do we know?

But here's another puzzle: why put the Moon's lobster on a plate?

Lobster is not kosher.

Abrac

I've been on the fence about this question for a long time, but finally I've decided the trumps originally had no connection with the Hebrew alphabet. This came later in tarot's development.

The strongest evidence for this is that they originally had 21 numbered cards and an unnumbered wild card, not 22 numbered cards. Any similarity with the Hebrew alphabet in decks with an unnumbered Fool is probably coincidental in my view. The numbers 21 and 56 are more suggestive of a connection with dice and gambling than anything, as demonstrated by Robert Place in The Tarot.

Rosanne

I have not read through the thread again, but I did an exercise way back with the Bateleur and could name everything starting with one letter (I think the letter R ).....in Italian- therefore based in Latin.

So therefore I totally agree with Abrac.
It was a fun thread tho :D and an interesting concept; but for me - little merit.

~Rosanne

venicebard

Abrac said:
I've been on the fence about this question for a long time, but finally I've decided the trumps originally had no connection with the Hebrew alphabet. This came later in tarot's development.
I disagree only in that the bardic tree-alphabet on which the trumps actually (and demonstrably, IMO) are based is itself a branch of the same extremely ancient tradition the Hebrew alphabet was (is), such that when the Hebrew and insular Celtic alphabet-traditions are superimposed on each other (as they undoubtedly were in 12th-century Provence) they fill each others gaps and correct each others blinds! (Both traditions place S-shin at the head, M-mem at the ‘belly’ or loins, and A-alef halfway between the two, where it stands for the trunk connecting them; and the tree-calendar formed by the Celtic consonants groups the seven doubles together on the waning year's half of the round.)
The strongest evidence for this is that they originally had 21 numbered cards and an unnumbered wild card, not 22 numbered cards. Any similarity with the Hebrew alphabet in decks with an unnumbered Fool is probably coincidental in my view. The numbers 21 and 56 are more suggestive of a connection with dice and gambling than anything, as demonstrated by Robert Place in The Tarot.
The unnumbered LeMat SEEMS extraneous until the numbering of letters used by the bards of Britain and Ireland is taken into account (on which the ranking of trumps was based, as is easily proved IMO): there, one of the tree-letters was associated with 'no number', namely H, huath the hawthorn, which is Hebrew cheyt, shaped like shoulders-and-arms as indeed it should be, since H the hawthorn stands at gemini in the tree-calendar. Since gemini is the sign immediately preceding (hence above) the sign straight ahead (cancer, the breast)—which points to the outer horizon—gemini symbolizes what MAKES it a horizon, namely the space above it: space = no thing (pure Substance). And the Fool at court traditionally talks nonsense, that is, no-thing. Indeed the pattern of dots about the mantle of the Fool shows the DESIGNER knew which sign it represented, for there are five hanging from the mantle, surmounted by two red dots where pole intersects it—representing the horizontal diameter or line of manifestation cancer-capricorn—the one on the left (cancer), then, surmounted by the red dot on the part of his headdress that sticks out to the left—CLEARLY pointing us to sign gemini, pure Substance or space (no thing). Indeed the sound H itself EXPRESSES a wisp of nothing (the exhaled breath).

If the implications of this are of any interest to you, they are expounded (in somewhat abbreviated form) here:

http://www.tarotpedia.com/wiki/Bardic_origin_of_Tarot

The numbering from 17-21 was kept secret, and indeed two of the letters had to be surmised by Robert Graves (in The White Goddess), but how the reconstructed 22-letter tree-alphabet fills numbers 17-21 becomes quite obvious once the trump images are taken into account, as they match what one would surmise from numbers, i.e. the fact that Q (qof) is doubled C (K) or 9, hence 18, that U (vav) the heather represented summer, the full moon, one's coming of age, which in Irish myth was age 17 (The Star shows the mixing of fluids in coition, just as vav means 'and' in Hebrew), and so on.

venicebard

Abrac said:
The strongest evidence for this is that they originally had 21 numbered cards and an unnumbered wild card, not 22 numbered cards.
Also, if you go to this website (describing the French game of tarot)...

http://www.pagat.com/tarot/frtarot.html

...and scroll down to the subsection 'The Deal' (a quarter of the way down, almost), you will notice that the 'excuse' (corresponding to LeMat) is counted as a trump for purposes of the following:

"A player who is dealt only the 1 of trumps and no others (counting the excuse as a trump) immediately declares this and the hand is cancelled - the cards are thrown in and the next dealer deals."