Golden Tarot by Kat Black Study Group

LindaG

Not Bored LOL!!

Hi Kat,

Well, I`m definately not bored with your deck. I haven`t got it yet.....hopefully next week it will be here. And I`m sure when I do get it from all I`ve been reading and seen of these cards I ain`t gonna get bored lol.

Best of luck on your next venture. I was just curious. Sounds good to me :)

Linda

LadyMedusa

oo ahhh oo ahh

Count me in as well!!!

With the new job I don't have as much spare time as I did, but I definantly will find time for this study group.

LadyMedusa

jema

I got the deck this wednesday and love it.
The very first reading I did with it was interesting and funny.
I am not done interpreting it yet but will post it in the forum later on.
I will be reading the study group even if I might not contribute a whole lot during the weekdays.

Shalott

Could it be...

...the most perfect deck ever?! I swear the message I got from Amazon said it wouldn't arrive until next week but today there it was! I've just finished looking at every card and I can see this becoming my main reading deck. Although I haven't yet tried to read with it, each card looks pretty easy to interpret, and GOOOOHGEOUS!!! I just love that era, seems to mesh well with how I see Tarot - as an ancient thing rather than a New Agey Alternativey thing...even dig the little box it comes in, although I already have a little bag from Tarot Totes on the way!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PS: I just have to point this out as I think it's a really cool coincidence: the woman on the Fool card looks surprisingly like my favorite musician, Loreena McKennitt...although I picture her as more of a Queen of Cups, but the face! It's amazing!
http://free.freespeech.org/cw/pics/g-loreenamckennitt.jpg
http://www.goldentarot.com/v2graphics/mafool.jpg

LindaG

Got It!!!!!!

My Golden Tarot came today and all I can say is .........it`s gorgious!!!!
Even without the gold edging it would still be beautiful.
I really like the packaging. Almost makes me want to keep the book and deck in this nice box....but it`s going into an Italian tapestry tarot bag I think. I have one I made already. Deep reds and gold and bronze and black...just perfect for this deck.
Wonderful deck Kat!

When we`re ready to start this study group, how will we begin? At the Fool or the small cards?

Whenever everyone has their decks and are ready lets begin :)
It`s going to be very interesting because it will be a lot like going to an old fine arts gallery and trying to find what the artist is saying about the picture.

Looking forward to this study.

Linda

LindaG

Kat-5 of Coins

I look forward to the point we get to the 5 of Coins. I also read Mary`s thought on some cards Kat. Even though this card is quite different than the Waite/Smith version it will be interesting to hear everyone`s thoughts on it. I`m very curious about the two figures in this picture.
If you get a chance, could you explain what you see as going on in this picture? I know it`s saying that the couple are holding hands but it could also interpreted in another way. It looks to me like the woman has some sort of grasp on the man and it has depleated him materially......maybe financially or physically, even though he is quite muscular. He looks in misery at the Coins yet can`t seem to let go of her. Maybe he is her sex slave LOL. I see something has caused him moral loss. Did you see any other interpretation when you made this card? What I`m thinking could still fit though quite well.
Maybe I`m jumping the gun and going too fast here.
Better wait until we get that far LOL
This is going to be a thoroughly thought provoking deck!

Linda

retrokat

Five of Coins

LindaG said:
I look forward to the point we get to the 5 of Coins. I also read Mary`s thought on some cards Kat. Even though this card is quite different than the Waite/Smith version it will be interesting to hear everyone`s thoughts on it. I`m very curious about the two figures in this picture.
If you get a chance, could you explain what you see as going on in this picture? I know it`s saying that the couple are holding hands but it could also interpreted in another way. It looks to me like the woman has some sort of grasp on the man and it has depleated him materially......maybe financially or physically, even though he is quite muscular. He looks in misery at the Coins yet can`t seem to let go of her. Maybe he is her sex slave LOL. I see something has caused him moral loss. Did you see any other interpretation when you made this card? What I`m thinking could still fit though quite well.
Linda

Eeep! I knew this would happen... being asked to explain my least successful or RWS-like cards first!

Hmm.. to start, I'll quote the AE Waite "Key to the Tarot" LWB definition first, as this wasn't one of the couple of cards that I intentionally swayed away from the RWS meaning too much:

"This card foretells material trouble above all, whether in the form illustrated - that is, destitution- or otherwise. For some cartomancists, it is a card of love and lovers - wife, husband, friend, mistress; also concordance, affinities. These alternatives cannot be harmonised. Reversed - Disorder, chaos, ruin, profligacy, troubles in love."

You might have noticed in my LBB that in a lot of my personal meanings, I've been wary of the financial fortune = happiness angle. In the same way, I don't feel that financial destitution has to = unhappiness. To this end, I attempted (although I suppose a little unsuccessfully!) to show that this couple may have lost everything else, but they still have each other, they still have the love and comfort of each other's touch.

And thus my LBB meaning: "Misguided goals. Poor decision or lack of decision could lead to destitution and misery. Ill health and misfortune may await you. Make the most of whatever you have, nomatter how little it is."

http://www.goldentarot.com/mico05.htm

In terms of the dynamic, it's the man who is still looking longingly at the coins (as per RWS). It's the woman who just deals with it, soldiers on (in RWS) or provides comfort (my intention in GT).

The thing I did NOT intend, and perhaps that's what Mary Greer was alluding to, is that there's any significance in the fact that they are now inside the church rather than outside , and yet they find little comfort in there. It's still cold and dark. I guess perhaps that could be read that there is little comfort in religion, but then I think you could also read the RWS card in that way, as these people are out in the snow instead of being allowed inside the warm, inviting church. The fact is, I couldn't find a snowy exterior to use amongst my source material, so I used the cold and uninviting church interior that I did.

I guess it was inevitable that the negative cards would be the hardest for me to do, given my personality and beliefs. I tried to be as objective as possible creating the deck, but whom I am and the life I've lived was always going to affect it to some degree. Perhaps this card was a bit of a plea for men not to take women for granted, to value a loving relationship above some floating illusion of success or independance or whatever.

LindaG

5 of Coins

Thanks for answering that Kat.

Don`t be knocking the wonderful job you`ve done.
That`s just part of the beauty of paintings. They can be taken at face value or studied deeper :) Either way they work.

Linda

retrokat

So guys, what card next?

BTW, I just listed the infamous Five of Coins card on eBay if you'd like a signed copy? *grin* Not expecting much bidding on that one!

WolfyJames

I've been waiting to get my Golden Tarot before joining this study group, and I finally got it yesterday. What a beautiful deck! It's magnificent!!! I think it's nice to see Kat commenting her deck, giving us tidbits of informations on it. Way to go Kat! You did a marvelous job on this tarot. My bes wishes to you. :)