Is anyone here just a little bit scared of playing cards?

Little Baron

That is a sad story, KK. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, I agree that there probably isn't much difference between the tarot and playing cards.

In this case, I think it is the method of reading, described in my last post, that makes the difference. As you are interested in numbers and reading non-scenic cards, I would be most interested in your thoughts about the process. It is simple to grasp but by no means, offers simplistic or general answers.

The other thing I do like about playing cards is the brashness of image. The black or red against the white. Even though I prefer the Conver, in appearance to most Marseille, I often like the pips of the Hadar or Grimaud more because they are so stark - making the interpretation clearer for me. This is what I get from playing cards - no interferance.

LB

Little Baron

Thanks Netzach. I will try this.

I think that because tarot reading is much more mainstream than it ever was before, there is something a little more magical and mystic, when we think about cartomancy with playing cards. Because they are not scenic, I think that it must be a magical experience to see someone glean so much meaning from them.

LB

Sulis

Thanks for the information Little Buddha. I've put that link in my 'favorites' and will take a look at it.

Love Sulis xx

firecatpickles

I am finding the appeal for non-scenics is that there is so much there that speaks to me. Art is limiting, you can only see so much! Being a musician, also I find, that I am more sensitive to things that are not there (colors, sounds, smells, textures, levels, etc.) in the actual cards themselves. I know we can't cross post, but to make my point, look at the reading I posted on our "Intuitive Study Group - Round 8 - READING THREAD." I think I am the third one down.

I think your concept of "no interference" hits the nail on the head, though.

KK
:TSTRE

p.s. I love my little knickname you gave me --"KK!"

Little Baron

Yes, I agree with you (KK ;) )

It reminds me of trying to read on the train. Two people might be having a conversation on my right. Someone might be talking on their mobile phone. There might be an anouncement from the driver. I read the same sentence over again and again. Still, I do not understand or hear it.

Take away these interferances and the message can be heard. What does a diamond mean? Where does it come from? What is an 3 in it's purest form? What are the two telling me in this sequence. The message is crystal clear.
The stark colours with minimal symbols are like that. You hone into them straight away.

I like your little nickname as well .. I am touched that you use it.

LB

P.S. I will check your intuitive reading out. And, I will be on to your gypsy reading, later this afternoon. The sun is out here, even though it is cold, and this afternoon feels just right for a spot of consulting that oracle. Maybe I will have a go at pulling some playing cards for you as well - either as part of the reading or separately.

firecatpickles

LittleBuddha said:
What are [they] telling me in this sequence?

Wham --another nailhead... Every card means something different when you read non-scenics. Well, every card means something different in context whether or not they are scenics, but playing cards can mean something utterly different... This is difficult for me to explain in detail. I think you have just talked me into trying playing cards out!

KK

Little Baron

kilts_knave said:
I think you have just talked me into trying playing cards out!

KK

Oh, KK, give them a go! But I urge you to read the method in the link I gave because it really is the best I have read in terms of cartomancy reading. The other resourses I have found feel very lifeless in comparison and do not read in sequence, like this one does. When I first read the tutorials, I was amazed by how quickly the information can be used in reality. Wheras, with many oracles, including tarot, it takes a long time to 'click', it does not here - there can be a lot of study in the tarot, but this is like 'on the job' training'. If you can find a couple of hours (if that) to read through the two different essays, I think you will find them most enlightening - and become quite excited about the prospect of working with a playing card deck. Due to everything we have discussed since your joining, you are the one member whose opinion I would be very interested in.

Just to add, there were many threads about Cartomancy and this method exclusively, sometime ago, by Pheonix Rising. She had a whole study group going and we exchanged readings. I might bump some of those threads up again for anyone that might be interested.

LB

firecatpickles

I will read it as soon as I'm "off the bench!"

KK

Little Baron

Just drew tomorrows cards.

Was not looking forward to tomorrow anyway.

I drew King of Spades, King of Hearts, Ace of Spades.

Now I am really not looking forward to tomorrow.

Have propped the three up in the bathroom. Am going to look into them while I take a relaxing bath - appeal to their better nature.

LB

Lee

LittleBuddha said:
The other thing I do like about playing cards is the brashness of image. The black or red against the white. Even though I prefer the Conver, in appearance to most Marseille, I often like the pips of the Hadar or Grimaud more because they are so stark - making the interpretation clearer for me. This is what I get from playing cards - no interferance.
Hi LB, it occurs to me that it might be interesting to try this method with a tarot deck which has non-scenic pips but more stark ones than the Marseille. For example, the Prediction, or the Mystic Meg, or the Lovers Tarot (78-card version).

I'd seen that hedgewytchery link before, but I'm glad you reminded me of it, I'm going to give it another look. Meantime, if you do experiment with using this method with a tarot deck, I would be very interested to hear how you find it, especially how you feel the trumps fit in with the method.

Oh, and another good deck might be the Angel Tarot by Robert Place, since the pips there are the French suits.

-- Lee