"Intuition" versus "book learned"

kisou

Hello, everyone~

I just wanted to post a small question that has in fact been sort of bothering me as of late and wanted to see what would be everyone else's take on the situation.

Now, when I first started out using tarot I sort of "memorized" the meanings of each card and when I would lay them out, of course what I learned through reading would pop out at me first.

Lately, however, I've been going by more off my intuition on what the picture on the card tells me, even though when I might "look up" the card later in a reference book or online, it's at odds with what I felt the lesson to be. Of course I have been taking into consideration suit, element, astrological qualities, etc., but when it comes down to it, what I feel the card to be is way off base from what books or other sources say it is.

For example, I pulled up a 10 of Pentacles reversed just recently and felt as if the card represented moving away from comforts and luxury and security for something deeper than what is provided by material things. For my particular question, it made sense after some pondering.

Of course, when I "looked it up", something different came up.

So I guess my question is--- how much creedence should be given to intuition versus what you read in a book? Or the other way around.

If it helps anything, I use The Vampire Tarot.

MysticalMoose

This is a very interesting point & I will be fascinated to hear everyones elses opinions & experiences as I have felt like this too. Whilst clearing out boxes that had not been opened through several house moves I came across an A4 pad filled with my early jottings of Tarot meanings from years ago. I was really intrigued to find them so different to how I see cards now, which I suppose illustrates the "learning journey" that we are all on with the Tarot. I feel that you should go with whatever you feel is right at the time of drawing/dealing a card. Some readers never look at an LWB for their deck at all. I personally feel that your intuitive feel for a card will give you great results, talking of which.. is this change affecting your readings for yourself/others at all in any way?
With Love..

mollymawk

----------------------

Grizabella

It sounds like you're just becoming more comfortable with what reading cards is all about so that you can start really reading the cards instead of just reciting card meanings you've memorized. It's natural and will make you a much better card reader. :)

vision777

When I started reading tarot i had a eden gray book i think it was master the tarot and the hanson roberts deck. with the hanson roberts mini meaning book. that was in 1998. i kept thinking oh you have to know the "meaning of the cards, the meaning from the book". it is until now that i came to this forum well in oct 2005 i kept seeing members say you have to use your third eye and stuff. i guess because i think the book is right i will always asume " I'M wrong. because remember some people don't know what the meaning of the card is so they will look it up. i am going to try to stop doing that because i have notice i'm not evening looking closely at the picture any more i'm just looking at the name of the card then looking up the meaning, which in fact robs you of the whole reading. i think having a little bit knowelege of the card can help then using your intution with it helps a lot. i guess if i was just given the pack of cards without the book in the begining and ask to tell someone there reading just by what i actual see in the cards that would of been using my intution. i think a blend of both would be good.

Grizabella

Well, having a basis in what the card is "supposed" to mean is kind of like having a diving board to spring from when you're doing a swan dive. It gives you something to push off from that gives you that little boost upward so that you can "dive" into the subconscious pool of intuition.

SerpentaAzothi

Hi, I normally combine, book meanings, intuition, astrology, kabbalah and numerology. And sometimes I ask the cards what It represents to that particular deck. I feel utilizing many factors will give you the best overall idea of what your looking at. Just my thoughts,

Serpenta

Elnor

Lyric said:
Well, having a basis in what the card is "supposed" to mean is kind of like having a diving board to spring from when you're doing a swan dive. It gives you something to push off from that gives you that little boost upward so that you can "dive" into the subconscious pool of intuition.

I like that- very descriptive!

Elnor

mollymawk

------------------------

Qofcups

I used to rely heavily on the book meanings, and it kept me from moving forward in really reading the cards. My readings were disjointed and unfocused.

Now, I find that I enjoy reading books about tarot, and reading posts on this forum and other websites interpretations separate from my readings. The ideas that work for me stick with me and open my mind to other messages in the cards, but when I read I use intuition, numerology (the little I know of it) and other cards in the spread to give me my meanings.

I think book meanings are useful, for the same reasons lyric posted, but just not at the time of a reading, if that makes any sense.