A book for a newbie!

On a clear day

Now this may have been asked before or may be in the wrong place-sorry if it has/is. Also, it may be impossible to answer! Lol!

I am a new Tarot reader and am on the Rider-Waite themed decks as opposed to Thoth for the time being.

Can anyone recommend a good learn -the -Tarot type book which speaks in plain english with down-to-earth explanations of the cards. Advice on spreads would be good along with if you are asking, for example, about buying a house and the 2 of swords comes up -what does that card mean in that context and then if you were asking about relationships, the 2 of swords means this. (Hope that makes sense!)

Any help gratefully received.

Thank you.

Scion

I'll recommend a couple options and you'll be best able to decide which will work with you rlearning style... :)

For keywords and a simple intro the the cards that's well-organized and immediately accessible: John Mangiapane's It's All in the Cards

For a more structured group of lessons with exercises and little etests, Joan Bunning has her entire book Learning the Tarot available online for free at www.learntarot.com, although working with the actual printed book is much more user friendly than scrolling on a screen.

For a more expansive, intuitive way of working with the cards that really gives a grounding for future study but avoids Bunning's "keyword" approach: Teresa Michelsen's superb Complete Tarot Reader

If none of these grab you there are LOTS of other options I could suggest. :D

Scion

Miss Divine

I just ordered ''Complete tarot reader'' by Teresa Michelson. I have plenty of books (including Joan Bunning's) but I find books with key words restricting use of your own intuition. I know the ''keyword'' meanings of all the cards but I want to learn the cards on a much deeper level. Hopefully the ''Complete tarot reader'' will help me with that.

Take care!

lark

On a clear day said:
... for example, about buying a house and the 2 of swords comes up -what does that card mean in that context and then if you were asking about relationships, the 2 of swords means this. (Hope that makes sense!)
this sounds like how Nancy Garen writes her tarot books....she has two of them that I know of...
1.) Tarot made Easy
2.) The Tarot According To You A Workbook

She breaks each card up into different catagories and gives a meaning for these subjects in Tarot Made Easy.
Also in Tarot According To You ...but not as many subjects.

focus
desire
romance
the unexpected
others
the home
travel
papers
work/career
unions
emotional states
pleasure
news
family
physical body
finances
time
friends
visitors/callers
mail
anxiety
disappointment
endings
new beginnings
inheritance
rewards/gifts
success
fortune
blessings
special guidance
best course of action
outcome

I think this is a fun way to play with the cards when you are first learning ..but you eventually come to see the meanings are limiting and so move on to more intuitive methods.
But it does help you think about the cards from different angles.

Two books I like more are Janina Renee's books
Tarot your Everyday Guide (Practical problem solving and advice.)
and
Tarot for a New Generation...this one is written for teenagers learning the cards.

They are done in a similar fashion to Nancy Garens, but with better thought gone into the meanings in my opinion.

connegrl

I've completely skipped the whole keyword approach, so I can't really help you with a suggestion there. I do strongly recommend James Ricklef's 'Tarot Tells the Tale'. This book will teach you about *how* to read using 3 card spreads. This book did more than any other book to help me learn to actually read. Well written and easily accessable. Can't say enough good things about it.

Jen

shadowdancer

I would support Tarot Tells the tale

superb book

Davina

MardiGras

the tarot workbook by juliette sharman burke is quite good.

Scion

Ricklef's Tarot Tells the Tale is a wonderful, practical book that I recommend wholeheartedly and passionately, but it actually isn't what On a Clear Day was asking for in the opening post of this thread: "book which speaks in plain english with down-to-earth explanations of the cards."

Ricklef's book is a wonderful text for learning to connect cards in a reading, and has some juicy technique, fascinating sample readings, and insightful observations about the majors, but it is not an explanatory book. That said, I think it's a must read.

I just thought it might be worth observing the specific conditions of the original request that started the thread.

Scion

MarkMcElroy

Honk! Honk!

WARNING: This post contains the ugly sight of an author honking his own horn. Proceed with extreme caution! :)

You might consider my Absolute Beginner's Guide to Tarot. It's reviewed right here on Aeclectic, and is available right now in most bookstores and through Amazon.com.

As the author, I think the real beauty of the book is that it allows you to work in the way that's most comfortable for you. If you're interested in the mysticism, it's covered. If you just want practical applications of Tarot, that's there, too. Both paths are honored; neither is "dissed."

The book provides a brief history of Tarot and a clear, step-by-step guide to the deck. And for every card in the deck, the divinatory dictionary provides:

- pictures of the card from four different decks (the Universal Tarot, the Gilded Tarot, the Bright Idea Deck, and the Tarot de Marseilles)

- four keywords

- a range of light and shadow meanings

- correspondences (archetypal, alphabetical, numerological, astrological, elemental, mythical, spiritual, and narrative)

- sample interpretations (for relationships, work, spirituality, personal growth, fortune telling, and timing)

- an analysis of the symbols and images on each card

- questions to fuel your intuitive exploration of the card.

At this point, my horn's a little sore, so I'll stop honking it. :)

Seriously, though: because I wrote this book for people just like you, I thought I'd mention it. Of all the Tarot books I've written, this one is generating the most passionate, positive emails from total beginners, so I really do believe it can help you.