Bohemian Gothic Tarot Compendium

Pagan X

I have just started reading the Penguin editions of MR James' stories, edited by ST Joshi. I thought a bibliography of the Greats of Gothic Lit would be helpful in the Bohemian Gothic Tarot's book. Perhaps nominations of books for such a bibliography would be helpful?

HP Lovecraft's Supernatural Horror In Literature I think is a good overview of the genre up to the 1930's. It is available from Penguin.

6 Haunted Days

Sounds like a grand idea, though I could see the nominations getting out of control fast! I think anthologies would be a good idea like The Oxford Book of Gothic Tales or Edwardian Ghost Stories....obviously Best Ghost Stories of J.S. Le Fanu and his novel Uncle Silas, some books of Francis Lathom (Midnight Bell and The Italian Mysteries are the best). Of course the Queen of the Gothic Ann Radcliffe should be well mentioned! (Baba already mentioned perhaps putting in a qoute from Udolpho I mentioned in a thread). Ainsworth, Gaskell, Wilkie Collins, Thomas Hood. I am just mentioning some favourites of mine, but the list could go on and on.

The best place to get ideas would be http://www.litgothic.com/index_fl.html

I still think anthologies would be best as they give more of an overview. There is a lot of them out there.Unless you're a crazy obsessed Gothic lit. lover like me, the general public doesn't really want to read obscure novels.

Wouldn't it be really special if Robert Miles (president of the International Gothic Association) had like a forward or some such thing? He does a lot of those for reprints of out of print novels and the like.

Skydancer

We're running in the same pack!! I just ordered Vol. 1 of M.R. James stories yesterday after seeing it mentioned in the BGT thread. Plus a 1944 second printing of the first edition of his "best" stories.

Le Fanu is arriving soon also!!

(darn those baba studio people; I was almost getting my online shopping under control ....)

*S*

6 Haunted Days

Skydancer said:
We're running in the same pack!! I just ordered Vol. 1 of M.R. James stories yesterday after seeing it mentioned in the BGT thread. Plus a 1944 second printing of the first edition of his "best" stories.

Le Fanu is arriving soon also!!

(darn those baba studio people; I was almost getting my online shopping under control ....)

*S*

How very exciting. I envy you, I do! To be on the brink of reading James and Le Fanu for the 1st time. Le Fanu is IMO (and many others opinions) the best short story writer of the supernatural. His body of work is extraordinary.

I like to collect all new (I got the new Penguin edition of James stories when it came out, but I never could find the 2nd volume) but also the old editions of my favourite authors, seems so much more in synch to be reading a book of ghost stories when the book itself is ripe with age.

Skydancer

Hi 6!!
Couldn't agree more! I have Vol 1 coming, and Vol 2 is available also from Amazon. Plus the olde one!! :)

Don't you love the musty/dusty smell of old volumes? I've been known to buy a book at a flea market just to open and smell it from time to time. :bugeyed:

I have a 1920 edition of My Bookhouse - Through Fairy Halls, from my grandmother in Louisiana. Wish now I had held onto the whole set when my mother moved. But this is the only book in the set that I used to read as a child, when I didn't understand many of the words but got the gist of it anyway. These storied literally shaped my life.

(I was, actually still am, an only child. Books were my world, as the real one I was in wasn't easy to comprehend as a youngster.)

*S*

baba-prague

I love both M.R. James and Le Fanu - if you haven't read them before then settle down for some really atmospheric stuff.

We will have a bibliography in the book, but I think the subject is just too large for us to attempt a comprehensive one, so it will be fairly short - a couple of pages mainly (er, if I can keep it to that!) and mainly of the works directly referenced in the text, together with some pointers to ompilations, lit crit works and so on. Quite exciting to do - but very demanding. If you would like to send any suggestions for inclusion that would certainly be very welcome (though as I say, I don't want to pack it with things that, while relevant, are not mentioned in the text). But please send to me via email - my mailbox here is permanently on the verge of filling up!

Completing the Five of Pentacles today - then out for dinner and NOT worrying about money!

6 Haunted Days

Skydancer said:
Hi 6!!
Don't you love the musty/dusty smell of old volumes? I've been known to buy a book at a flea market just to open and smell it from time to time. :bugeyed:

I have a 1920 edition of My Bookhouse - Through Fairy Halls, from my grandmother in Louisiana. Wish now I had held onto the whole set when my mother moved. But this is the only book in the set that I used to read as a child, when I didn't understand many of the words but got the gist of it anyway. These storied literally shaped my life.

(I was, actually still am, an only child. Books were my world, as the real one I was in wasn't easy to comprehend as a youngster.)

*S*

Well we have one major, huge, massive (I admit I am crazed bibliophile, and I am on the loose) thing in common. A passion for books!! And I prefer old ones. Nothing (and I do mean nothing) makes me more happy then going to one of those huge used book stores and getting lost for hours.

And yes I am a book sniffer. I loooove the smell of all and any books.Books are so many things to me. They make me feel safe and how could you ever claim to be bored with so many books to read? If I was rich I would collect rare books. My dream book to get is a 1st edition Mysteries of Udolpho (Ann Radcliffe, if you like Gothic, you must read this!) from 1794. $18,000 last time I looked!

Ok way off topic up there. I am beside myself waiting for this deck. Hurry up October!! October is of course my favourite month so how else could this deck out in any other month? It's fate.

Skydancer

Well hello again, 6!! We keep running into each other!!! :D

My book by LaFanu had arrived now also. Plus both volumes of HR James. The other should be along shortly.

I have some ole cowboy thing or other here just because it smells fanTAStic!! I keep it enclosed in plastic so that it won't lose it's 'very reason for still existing' ... !!

I have now read Madam Crowl's Ghost (an' near done with Squire Toby's Will) - I could almost hear the accent!!! Bit 'ard ta read now, don ya 'noe! :D

Thank you so much for introducing me to these 2 authors, Karen et el.
Amazing what one can find on a tarot board ...

(Have I mentioned anywhere yet that I am on freakin' pins and needles waiting for the BGT?? I wasn't sure.)

Little Hare

I don't know why but as soon as i saw this thread i thought of hounds of the baskervilles by Arthuer Conan Doyle...

Runs off to hide

baba-prague

Have to admit I would love to get a "hound" into the deck - I loved that story when I was a teenager. SOOOO creepy!