Tarot Card Symbology by Max Freedom Long

bigcaat

Before I bought this book, I searched and searched for a review. I found plenty of people asking, but no reviews. I finally bit the bullet. Here's my review on Amazon:
http://snurl.com/1oviv

Caat

Bonnie

Huna

Caat:

What a mess this turned out to be for you! I did a quick Google search on Max Freedom Long, and found a personality very akin to PT Barnum. Somehow I cannot connect Mr. Long with the practice of Huna, wich is a highly respected practice. Yes, he formed a society, claimed the name, etc., but I would be very wary of anything that this gentleman had to say. It appears thathe took an existing tradition and attempted to tweak it to his own way of thinking, and then call it his own.

Thanks for posting this ... tid bits of life like this interest me. :)

Blessings,
Bonnie

AJ

I have this book, I asked here last year if anyone had any impressions...no response :)
The man has a sense of humor which helps with the heavy readings.

edited to add after reading your review:
I only paid a couple of bucks for my copy, used.
but as far as the publisher goes, I believe this is/was self published. So you are probably dealing with Max, or his heirs.

bigcaat

Bonnie said:
Caat:

What a mess this turned out to be for you! I did a quick Google search on Max Freedom Long, and found a personality very akin to PT Barnum. Somehow I cannot connect Mr. Long with the practice of Huna, wich is a highly respected practice. Yes, he formed a society, claimed the name, etc., but I would be very wary of anything that this gentleman had to say. It appears thathe took an existing tradition and attempted to tweak it to his own way of thinking, and then call it his own.
Can you share any of the links you found? What is interesting is that he is so well thought of and referred to in most Huna books. (At least the ones I've read.) But it would not surprise me in the least if he had tweaked things to fit his vision, after reading this.

In fact, there is one person, Two Bears, who posts quite frequently on Amazon, who wrote a review of one of his books, saying that he did just that with the book, "Huna Code in Religions." Yet, I bought "Secret Science Behind Miracles" based on one of his reviews, as well. I just started reading it. So far, it's not bad, but I have to realize it doesn't seem to be a book about learning Huna as much as it is a story about *him* learning huna.

I'm really interested in Huna, so I feel like I have to read at least one of his books to understand why so many people refer to him, but honestly, I much prefer the writings of Serge King, who learned shamanism from his father. (I'm assuming he's Hawaiian, rather than white, as Long is.) I've read two of his books and they are *fabulous!*

When I finish "Secret Science..." I'll report back. But I would be really interested in some of the links you found about his personality and his founding of the 'society.'

Caat

bigcaat

AJ said:
I only paid a couple of bucks for my copy, used.
but as far as the publisher goes, I believe this is/was self published. So you are probably dealing with Max, or his heirs.
MFL died some time ago. Perhaps his heirs.
----
I *wish* I had only paid a couple of dollars. :(

Caat

bigcaat

Bonnie said:
Caat:

These showed up under a Google of "Max Freedom Long":

http://maxfreedomlong.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Freedom_Long
http://www.hunamind.info/people/max-freedom-long

These showed up under a Google of "Huna":

http://www.huna.com/
http://www.huna.org/

Blessings,
Bonnie
Hi Bonnie.

Thanks. Actually, the huna.org site is the Serge King site. If you are interested, they have some interesting stuff there. (Even thought the site isn't organized very well.) And his "Urban Shaman" book and "Instant Healing" books are fabulous.

I had seen the rest of these links except for the hunamind one. I was interested in your comment about Long being a bit like PT Barnum. I'll have to re-read some of those sites now that I've read the tarot book.

I am so interested in Huna, but I live in a very small conservative town, so it's very difficult for me to study it the way I would like to. I guess if there is one thing I've learned from this experience is that I am much more inclined towards the King philosophy of Huna.

As it states on wikipedia, when you click the "huna" link from the page you posted, King was not Hawaiian, but was raised by Hawaiians and teaches the Hawaiian based philosophy of Huna. I had never realized why I gravitated towards his books before, but perhaps that's the reason why. It just resonates with me more.

Thanks! :)
Caat

Bonnie

Huna

Caat:

I noted what I used as a search term becuase the first links were directly related to MFL, and the others were not. I lived in Hawaii for five years (a lifetime ago!), and know that the Huna studies are very real (although I was never invovled in them), and are considered to have ancient wisdom, nothing like what is seems Long presented.

I related Long to PT Barnum because of how he seems to be presented on the Internet, not because I have read any of his work (I have not read his work). It always irritates me when someone tries to use "native" wisdom - whether it be Native American or Native Hawaiian, etc., for their own gain. For Long it may have not been monetary gain, but the power of being looked up to as a wisdom carrier.

Rant over. ;-)

Blessings,
Bonnie

bigcaat

Bonnie said:
It always irritates me when someone tries to use "native" wisdom - whether it be Native American or Native Hawaiian, etc., for their own gain. For Long it may have not been monetary gain, but the power of being looked up to as a wisdom carrier.
God. I agree!

I lived in Hawaii
Where in Hawaii did you live? I used to live in Kona. I miss the islands, but I don't miss living near my relatives who live on the islands. ;)

Caat

Bonnie

Caat:

I lived on Oahu, and never really had the time to see any of the other Islands. I was in the military, working a part-time civillian job, and going to school full time. I had a great time while I was there, but could never keep up that pace now! ;-)

I do understand about not wanting to live near relatives! ;-)

Blessings,
Bonnie