Trimmed Celtic Messages (in a tin!)

pippi

Yesterday I was looking through the borderless images in the first part of the Celtic Messages book, and also on the back cover. The trimming urge came over me. I knew the images would pop so much more without the busy borders. Since the deck is new, I figured I could always easily buy another copy if I messed it up completely. There were two obstacles I faced: 1) I can't cut a straight line to save my life, let alone cut in a circle! 2) The inner circular borders aren't even straight/even to begin with, even if I could. ...But I did it anyway! (As I was trimming, I longed for my circular cutter that I have in storage in another state.)

I wasn't sure if I should leave the thin inner borders, or just abandon them completely. I left them on for now, since they're very thin and just plain colors. It allows for a quicker at-a-glance notice of the suits in a spread. I figure I can always trim them off later if I want.

The result? They're all a bit uneven, of course, but nowhere near as bad as I had expected. I love, love, love the cards SO much better now (and I really loved them before!) They're the perfect little size, and so much nicer on the eyes. They flow much easier in a reading now, as there's less clutter around them.

As I was trimming, a thought suddenly popped into my head of where I could keep the cards. Thus far they've been wrapped in a cloth. In a recent exchange, I acquired a couple of round tins (thanks SaintofScreams!). (I absolutely love tins!) It turns out it's the perfect size for my trimmed deck. I mean, it's the absolute perfect size, both the diameter and height, as though they were designed together. I was thrilled! Here's a photo. The combination of having them trimmed and in a tin just has me giddy! :D

Anyone else crazy enough to have taken a pair of scissors to this round deck?

pippi

Mini oracles made from the borders...

Oh, I forgot to add that while I was cutting the borders off, I had another idea. I'm going to cut out the individual little squares from each border and put together little mini-oracle sets for me and my kids. (Each card has a different repeating image in the border, for example a bird, a skull, etc.) So that would leave 52 teeny-tiny squares for a little oracle. You can just put them in a little bag and draw out squares for a reading. I figure I can use the same meanings as on the cards, while my kids can make up their own individual meanings.

10 separate mini-oracles can be made from the deck, as each card has 10 squares of the pattern going around it. But I didn't think of this idea until I was about halfway through my trimming, so I had already cut into some of the images. Luckily I don't have 10 kids! LOL!

BodhiSeed

Hi Pippi,
I had the exact same reaction to the Celtic Messages Oracle - loved the tiny pictures, but didn't care at all for those bright borders. They just didn't seem to go together at all! So... they got a borderectomy. :D I love them so much better now. I love the idea of putting them in a tin - it looks like it was made just for them.

pippi

Thanks Debra! :)

bodhran...another brave soul! LOL!! :) Did you leave the thin inner borders in tact, or did you cut those off too?

Lewen

Wow, it looks totally different. Thanks for posting a picture. Now I'm eyeing my deck and wondering if I'm up to the challenge! Very lovely and the tin is just perfect! :)

BodhiSeed

pippi said:
Thanks Debra! :)

bodhran...another brave soul! LOL!! :) Did you leave the thin inner borders in tact, or did you cut those off too?
Well I started to leave the thin inner border on, but then noticed that some of the cards seemed to be slightly a different size. I ended up using the yellow border on the back to cut around, which left no border on the front. I like the result, however using this border as a guide brings you very close to the keywords, so a steady hand is a must!
Wonder if I could get the sullen (I mean sweet) teen daughter to scan some...

MysticalMoose

Ohhhhhhh! I DO like how they look, these are much lovelier without those distracting borders... you have done wonderful job you brave person! I would love to trim several decks of mine but havent quite summoned up the courage yet!!! They look good in that tin dont they!!! :D

:love: MM

pippi

bodhran, yours look great! I did your Mother's Day spread today using this deck...
Here's a photo of my reading, for an example of the trimmed cards with the inner borders.