Need Your Advice!

Grizabella

You beat me to it, tarotbear. I just got my copy of your book and it's very good. I was going to post about it when I got it yesterday, but company came and I didn't get the chance.

So definitely----John Mangiopane's book, It's All in the Cards is a good recommendation.

ann823

I've just started with the 78 days book and I think it's another really good one.

greatdane

Another Vote for Tarot Plain and Simple

This is my go to book, it appeals to my psych background as it does bring in psychology a bit, which I could identify with. I just think it's a great reference book and I like how it's laid out. There is quite a bit of info, but you can keep it pretty simple as a reference as it lists key words, gives you examples.

Carla

My first tarot book was The Tarot Bible by Sarah Bartlett and I think it is a great resource to have on hand.

SagiChar

Grizabella said:
The Two Hour Tarot Tutor

Tarot Wisdom by Rachel Pollack

But there are tons of other books that are good.

The two I mentioned above, and especially the one by Rachel Pollack, are books that would be kind of like the essential reference kind of a permanent Tarot library.

That's exactly what I'm looking for...is a book for the "permanent Tarot library"...YES!! Thanks Grizabella!

closrapexa said:
But I would recommend you stay away from any book with "beginner" or whatnot in the title. If this is to be a book you will love and use for a long time, forego all that and go with a good source book. DuQuette's book is a an excellent primer on symbolism and other things, but the question is what you really want. Are you just beginning? Are you advanced enough to branch out into other decks or fields

This IS a book that I will cherish and keep forever...yes. What I'd really like from this book is something that helps me learn the symbolism in the Tarot for the most part. I already have a book that deals with Astrology, Numerology and the Kabalah, and for all that information to be in one book...well, I don't want information overload, but, I would like to learn more about what the symbols mean, the colors etc...having tons of keywords for each card, eh...I don't necessarily need that...but more of helping me to open myself up to the cards more maybe?

I have been doing this about a year now and am still a beginner in my eyes. I have 5 decks and one on the way, so I'm open to all types of Tarot (no Oracle...just HAD to say that tarobear! :D )

SagiChar

iAmRiotEyes said:
I also read Dusty White's The Easiest Way to Learn Tarot-EVER!! I agree that it's useful no matter your level of experience.

Tarot for Life by Paul Quinn has been absolutely fantastic. This is also for all levels.

78 Days Around the Tarot is great too. I went into it not expecting much but it's proved me wrong. I'd recommend this for intermediates and higher, it's not really a beginner book.

Tarot: Plain and Simple has been invaluable to me, but this is more of an in depth reference. I don't know if you're looking for that.

Dusty White's book looks exciting and the Tarot: Plain and Simple I like as well, especially for the aspect of what it said in the book description on Amazon, "That way you can see exactly how the Tarot works, how the cards play off of each other and how to give a reading." Because THAT is what I have the hardest time with!! So...this book may change my mind...hmm...ARG!! Decisions, decisions!!

Oh yeah...and I LOVE the book cover of Around the Tarot in 78 Days!!

Thanks IAmRiotEyes!! :D

dawntarot said:
I second Around the Tarot in 78 Days by Katz and Goodwin. Not for beginners, but it definitely takes you to the next level. I thought the premise of the book (progression through the Gated Spreads) was quite contrived but happily I am being proven wrong. It's actually quite profound. I am about 3 weeks in, so not even halfway, but I'm getting a lot more out of it than I expected to.

This book looks very good, but just not exactly what I'm looking for...YET...but, I'm going to keep it on my list as I see it changed your mind!! (Plus, like I said...the bookcover is cool!) :thumbsup:

Rhoswen

I keep borrowing from the library The Secret Language of Tarot by Wald and Ruth Ann Amberstone and then renewing it the maximum number of times before returning it. :-D I've done this three or four times in the last year.

It's not a broad-spectrum introductory book in the manner of the others mentioned, but I find it a valuable secondary reference once you've grasped some basics.

SagiChar

tarotbear said:
Shameless self-promotion: No Tarot library is complete without a copy of my book - now in reprint - 'It's All in the Cards: Tarot Reading Made Easy.'

Wow...that's awesome tarotbear, I'm embarrassed to say I had no idea! Does your book touch on symbolism or card to card relationships at all? (I DID read the book review on Amazon and didn't see those things included...but figured I'd ask the Author himself!!)

tarotbear

SagiChar - you have a pm ....

SagiChar

Thank you EVERYONE for all your advice and ideas! I finally have some direction, and so many wonderful books to choose from!

Now...I just have to decide on which one!!

Thanks again...you guys are great!!! :)