Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum

Ghetto Tarot Art Project

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Decks

Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine 
Ghetto Tarot Art Project

This isn't a deck (not yet anyway) but a fascinating live-art project done by a group of Haitian artists. Some of the renderings of the RWS scenes into posed photographic images are absolutely flawless. I especially like the 9 of Cups.

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/t..._into_stunning
Top   #1
Citizen

Trogon 

Hi Barleywine! As I was looking over that page I found a link to their Indegogo page. The Ghetto Tarot is available! https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...otography--3#/
Top   #2
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogon View Post
Hi Barleywine! As I was looking over that page I found a link to their Indegogo page. The Ghetto Tarot is available! https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...otography--3#/
Thanks for noticing that! The cards look quite large.
Top   #3
Citizen

trzes 

There was a long and rather controversial discussion about this deck two years ago:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=235816
Top   #4
Cat on a cold stone roof

gregory 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywine View Post
Thanks for noticing that! The cards look quite large.
They are. And it's a very fine deck. THe discussion got a bit heated - but I think it was OK, myself.
Top   #5
Citizen X

G6 

Ugh, this deck again and that discussion. 😝
Top   #6
Elder Jabberwock

Barleywine 

I didn't notice how old this was when I posted it, and certainly didn't realize I would be rubbing salt in a wound! When I have time, I'll visit the previous thread to see what the fuss was about.
Top   #7
Citizen

trzes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barleywine View Post
I didn't notice how old this was when I posted it, and certainly didn't realize I would be rubbing salt in a wound! When I have time, I'll visit the previous thread to see what the fuss was about.
Actually the fuss was much less about the deck itself, but rather about the title of it, and about whether or not the fact that a woman from Belgium led the making of a deck about haithian culture was an act of inadequate cultural appropriation. A curious dispute. Sadly the mods had to remove a fair number of posts.

I have the deck (disputed decks seem even more attractive to me) and I like it too, although it didn't quite match my expectations. Because of my lack of understanding of voodoo and such I can only see the simplified posing of RWS like scenes in some cards. My own bad of course as there is definitely more to the deck, as long as one is able to recognise it.
Top   #8
Citizen X

G6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trzes View Post
Actually the fuss was much less about the deck itself, but rather about the title of it, and about whether or not the fact that a woman from Belgium led the making of a deck about haithian culture was an act of inadequate cultural appropriation. A curious dispute. Sadly the mods had to remove a fair number of posts.

I have the deck (disputed decks seem even more attractive to me) and I like it too, although it didn't quite match my expectations. Because of my lack of understanding of voodoo and such I can only see the simplified posing of RWS like scenes in some cards. My own bad of course as there is definitely more to the deck, as long as one is able to recognise it.
Curious dispute. Here we go again...
Top   #9
Citizen

decan 

Okay I see. Well, naively I believed (looking at this deck), that it was the creation of the people that we can see on the cards.
It's indeed a bit misleading.
Top   #10

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2019 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.