Gorey Fantod deck!

Cerulean

Available for $10.00 through Pomegranate Press

The publisher/distributer in the U.S. is Pomegranate Press. I found two of these at a store I drove twelve or so miles to while on other errands. I've heard so much about this novelty and was very pleased and tickled. It says it is officially licensed by the Gorey estate.

Books Inc: Mountain View - www.booksinc.net
301 Castro St, Mountain View - (650) 428-1234

It's on a table near the information desk in the front corner, near the art section...hope that it helps someone!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Since most of my decks are relentlessly cheerful, this deck gives the odd perspective of delicate gloom with tongue-in-cheek. Strangely enough, I saw this deck after cheerfully saying hello to a friendly ex-classmate...who was known for a great way of getting one to smile with jokes or stories that seemed slightly leaning toward this sense of humor.

I think this page was referenced for some people:

http://www.phobos-deimos.com/Edward_Gorey/The_Fantod_Deck/The Fantod Deck Main.htm

Best regards,

Cerulean

WooMonkey

Thank you Chronata, for posting about this deck! I have been a Gorey fan for many years.
I just got three. :)

ravenwynter

neat deck! was browsing thru ebay a few minutes ago and there is one on there going for 100+ us dollars.. EEEK

FaireMaiden

Just bought mine too... and think there is a very real possibility that I may go back and get a couple more! *lol*

Aerin

ravenwynter said:
neat deck! was browsing thru ebay a few minutes ago and there is one on there going for 100+ us dollars.. EEEK

Presumably this is one of the oiginal decks and not the reprint?

My reprint is on its way from US to UK. I finally got the shipping details and postage, opted for normal airmail as tracked and insured was more than the cost of the deck by a factor of 2+ :)

Your merchandise total is US$10.
Here are your shipping options:
Trackable, insured Global Expressmail is US$23.
(Please note that Global Expressmail requires a signature upon delivery)
or
Uninsured Air Letter Post is US$7.20. (but is not trackable or insured)

Aerin

Sulis

Oh I love Gorey :)

The Gashlycrumb Tinies is one of my daughter's favourite books and folks think I'm terrible for giving it to her :)

Thanks for showing us this lovely deck Chronata.. I think I'm going to have to get a copy })

lilith_in_tree

I just discovered this thread and I think I must have this deck, it's too hilarious! I love Edward Gorey, and bodhran, your new keywords for the cards seem spot-on as well ;)
I think it would be fun to use this deck with my BG silver--it would definitely bring out the campy side for a reading.

FaireMaiden

Aerin said:
Presumably this is one of the oiginal decks and not the reprint?Aerin
It may very well NOT be an original...

Even tho one can buy this reprint for $10 + s/h at the 'goreydetails' website, there are eBay Sellers advertising the reprint for exhorbitantly ridiculous prices...

The last original, signed, 'Gorey Fantod Pack', I saw, went for $300 dollars.

When it comes to these decks/packs on eBay, please be VERY CAREFUL to read the advertisement thoroughly... If there is nothing stated about it being a reprint, WRITE to the Seller immediately for ABSOLUTE SPECIFICS.

What I want to know is this: how can one tell the difference between a deck that was an original UNSIGNED and the now-published reprint??? or did Edward sign all of the original edition decks???

Aerin

Aerin said:
My reprint is on its way from US to UK. I finally got the shipping details and postage, opted for normal airmail as tracked and insured was more than the cost of the deck by a factor of 2+ :)
Aerin

The deck arrived! I can't imagine reading with it as, funny or not, it might freak me out. But I like HAVING it and looking at it.

This is the reprint and the seller is asking pretty much what it ended up costing me. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/THE-FANTOD-PA...k-box-set_W0QQitemZ370027086071QQcmdZViewItem

Aerin

ps Good poin - how CAN you tell if you have an original deck? Has anyone actually got one? If a deck is original I would think the seller would go out of their way to say how they know, given the reprint.

FaireMaiden

Aerin... so glad you got your deck! They're a hoot, aren't they??? *lol*... I'm so glad to have been able to get a copy of this deck too, *s*

Since there has been no answer about how to tell the difference from the original and the reprints, I think I'm going to start a new thread about it...